Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current Affairs chat thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I would like to personally claim responsibility for the ingenious suggestion to add this forum as an AH subforum, given that this only happened after I invisibly replied to Mark's thread in announcements. Ye should all reward me with virtual pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I often wondered if anyone even remembered what AH used to be before it became so politicised. Its current carnation is a hollow shell of its former self; I would be optimistic that the creation of this forum will help to alleviate that somewhat.

AH died with Flutt left. To this day I will never forget his phrasing of "A butcher's pocketful of gas erupted from my chicken coop" to describe farting in a taxi with the windows closed, back in '08 or '09 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

12 posts in and no one has blamed the muslims, travellers, leftists, rightists (is that even a word?) Centrists, soros, the brits, the RA or whatsherface o'doherty.

I could get used to this

Cos it was a wizard's fault!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,348 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

jaxxx wrote: »
    Cos it was a wizard's fault!

AVADA KEDAVRA!!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Can we have the gemma o Doherty thread back now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

notobtuse wrote: »
    Interesting that after two oil tankers were attacked and a US drone was shot down by Iran, making the Persian Gulf one scary place, that oil prices only spiked 6%. I’d have thought prices would have gone up over 25%.

Markets were bracing for an oversupply worldwide anyway last week, and the entire Gulf is now only producing 13% world consumption so even if it all kicked off, it wouldn't be anything likes the choke on supply of the 1970's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Great forum to circumvent an After Hours ban.

Well. This is cosy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Interesting that after two oil tankers were attacked and a US drone was shot down by Iran, making the Persian Gulf one scary place, that oil prices only spiked 6%. I’d have thought prices would have gone up over 25%.

If theres any increase in cost to the barrell, it'll only increase at the pumps when oil bought at that price is refined and distributed. The current price for the consumer generally isnt based in the current price for the supplier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Stop worrying about price of oil.
    It won't matter in 11 years time as Leo the Great will have us all weened off the stuff.

Of course the olive oil lubricated wooden wind generators will need replacing every few years, but that shouldn't cause too much of an issue. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

This forum is working for me. AH might die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

If theres any increase in cost to the barrell, it'll only increase at the pumps when oil bought at that price is refined and distributed. The current price for the consumer generally isnt based in the current price for the supplier.

That logic works in one direction only.

Where am I and how did I get here?

You don't stop in for a few days, and everything changes while you're gone. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 30,020 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Candie wrote: »

You got lost on the way to the Cheistmas forum!

You don't stop in for a few days, and everything changes for the better while you're gone. :(

Fixed that for ya, we need more positive vibes Candie....positive vibes! :D

Timberrrrrrr, are you implying that things are improved by my absence? How very dare you!

Three sharp smacks to the posterior for you, sir/madam.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Holy BDSM batman.

Odhinn wrote: »
    Holy BDSM batman.

No, they aren't allowed enjoy it. :(

In all seriousness, I think the forum is a great idea and hopefully people will use it as intended. May ye gods bless her and all who sail in her.

Timberrrrrrr, are you implying that things are improved by my absence? How very dare you!

Three sharp smacks to the posterior for you, sir/madam.

Is it wrong that i may be slightly turned on right now?

tenor.gif?itemid=14248386

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

So its not just me then :)

Would some kind person please put up a TL DR version of whats been going on ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Is it wrong that i may be slightly turned on right now?

Durty fecker ye.

Y'all need Jesus. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭RandomName2

mike_ie wrote: »
    I'm curious. Do you think that describing travellers as "a plausible call for ethnic cleansing" is a legit opinion?

People use the term a bit too loosely, but this is actually a perfect example of a straw man argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Some more AH threads need to be moved here en masse or it'll never work.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

We're looking at threads on a case by case basis. Moving threads from AH > CA isn't an urgent mod action, compared to, for example, nuking a spammer. There is latitude for discussion between the mods on whether a thread should remain in AH, or whether it would be better placed in CA.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,131 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Yeah, does seem very.......inconsistent. Then again, if they move much more there would probably be very little left in AH

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Yeah, does seem very.......inconsistent. Then again, if they move much more there would probably be very little left in AH

But sure wasn't that the complaint? AH being taken over by the "serious" or non-fun threads.

Either move them all and see whether AH stands on its own feet these days, or risk confusing things even more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

We are already getting people complaining about the 2 per day were moving at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Well then, and I know it's a bit early, but this forum is working out well; like many of us suspected it would under the right conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

HELLO! :P

Advertisement