Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ratings Discussion Thread - Mod Warning #271 (26th June)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭lawlolawl

hykVXkW.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Was that last night?

Jesus in heaven!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Mod Note

Branching this off from the news thread cause it had developed a bit.

One thing I'll add is that while there's a good discussion to happen here, drop the personal shots at each other. There's no need to be taking pot shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

Was that last night?

Jesus in heaven!

Nope. Becky wasn't on smackdown last night and from the picture she hasn't got a belt with her either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,104 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I know the cameras are but it must feel so stupid for wrestlers doing promos to that view when the seats are like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Was that last night?

They were at the basketball, chill out:o

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I enjoy these debates when I’m recording a show because it gets me fine-tuned, so this conversation ended up inspiring me to do a John Oliver style feature on the topic. If anyone is interested, it’s about 30 mins in and pretty much puts the ratings into full perspective and why this isn’t a catastrophe: https://open.spotify.com/episode/2n2LMpb3XfpJ0Kvehyxv2J?context=spotify%3Ashow%3A7Iy24AtOzFhIKq98hAgNO5&si=WRBcPnJLSb6Dt2CNhcYuMg

Some may enjoy it, others may be allergic to hearing anything that contradicts the world view they want so that’s okay too! :pac:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alfredkonuwa/2019/06/14/aew-all-out-an-immediate-sellout-amid-struggles-for-wwe-stomping-grounds/#25bdade85df6

Yup, we totally aren't witnessing The Death of WCW 2.0

The low ticket sales for WWE PPVs are due to a downturn in interest in pro-wrestling.

Sure, AEW had 60-odd thousand people queued up to buy tickets for All Out but it's not like it's their 3rd sell-out in a row or anything and it's not like the tickets for All Out went in 15 minutes whilst the Double or Nothing tickets took 30 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,000 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

The good news for the E is the juicy tv contracts and blood money from the saudis is keeping the money coming in.

However I think they need to be a little concerned. Ratings slump every year and hit constant lows. I know the defense is normally
    " it just's the era we live in,,,and ratings don't matter"

Firstly I am not comparing the current ratings to ten years ago, I am comparing them to last year and its best flat across the board. Also ratings don't matter?

Tell that to Fox:pac:

House show numbers are poor and represent what is limited enthusiasm for the product.

WWE is cold right now and you do wonder where they will be in a few years when the tv deals are up for review. No new stars emerging and from what I can see they have not really gained many new fans over last few years, instead are content to bleed the hardcore especially when it comes to house shows.

The day will come when even they gave up.

For years those oddballs who take pride in defending WWE no matter how bad they got used to taunt critics with the standard "don't like it don't watch it LOL"

Looks like a lot of people have taken that advise.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    The good news for the E is the juicy tv contracts and blood money from the saudis is keeping the money coming in.

However I think they need to be a little concerned. Ratings slump every year and hit constant lows. I know the defense is normally
    " it just's the era we live in,,,and ratings don't matter"

Firstly I am not comparing the current ratings to ten years ago, I am comparing them to last year and its best flat across the board. Also ratings don't matter?

Tell that to Fox:pac:

House show numbers are poor and represent what is limited enthusiasm for the product.

WWE is cold right now and you do wonder where they will be in a few years when the tv deals are up for review. No new stars emerging and from what I can see they have not really gained many new fans over last few years, instead are content to bleed the hardcore especially when it comes to house shows.

The day will come when even they gave up.

For years those oddballs who take pride in defending WWE no matter how bad they got used to taunt critics with the standard "don't like it don't watch it LOL"

Looks like a lot of people have taken that advise.

The TV deals that they signed recently have a clause that they can be dumped down onto whatever lower channels the companies they have signed with have.

Certain analysts are saying that Smackdown will most likely end up buried on one of the Fox Sports channels within a year if the ratings continue their current trend.

Fox would sooner take a chance on some cheapo reality garbage catching fire on their main channel rather than showing something with a 1.5 rating ceiling for the next 5 years.

WWE will still get the money promised but it will go down as a lesson to TV networks to not give a volatile product a long-term, high value contract.

• Advertisement

Still some ridiculous hyperbole being spread here. Comparing one company's Mania-show to that of a first-time PPV for a company who's running their fourth PPV in six weeks. All-Out's sales are hugely impressive, it's no slight on them whatsoever, but it's a lot easier to sell one show when all of your company's resources are directed at that one objective than it is to sell one of several shows WWE is running in that particular week. For a start, WWE rely solely on local markets to sell that, while AEW need people to travel for their big shows to get their numbers.

The two aren't comparable. It's like me randomly saying, "Yeah well NJPW sold more tickets for Wrestle Kingdom in a stadium, AEW can't do that!" You're just randomly moving the goalposts to suit the argument you want to make rather than actually having any interest in making accurate comparisons. There is no war here. AEW is doing well, but they're not something WWE have to be directly concerned with. You can't slate WWE's ratings and praise AEW in the same post until AEW have a show that's getting better ratings and actually running a company that's directly comparable. And, sorry, but they're not going to right away. When they debut on TNT and have average ratings you're going to come on here and double back like "Well that's good for them, they're just starting out." And I'm going to point to the posts where you said them selling out All-Out while WWE couldn't sell out Stomping Grounds was significant.

WWE aren't dying and the more you try make these arguments, the more I'm going to laugh at you in a few years when you look like the delusional TNA-fanboys who used to say the same thing in the mid-00's. Remember TNA moved to Monday's and so many got excited at the 'new Monday Night War' and, like an hour into the show, it was clear the whole thing was a really bad idea and the months/years of excitement and hyperbole had been for nothing because competing directly was such a bad idea? :pac:

Wanna compare the two accurately? This week's Being The Elite has 271,000 views on YouTube in 4 days, it's the one video released on the channel all week. Here is a list of videos WWE released on the same day that have more views:

The Funniest Mr McMahon Impressions (464k)
    Miz, Strowman & Ricochet vs Joe, Cesaro & Lashley (812k)
    Baron Corbin announcing there'll be a special ref at Stomping Grounds (353k)
    Lars Sullivan vs Lucha House Party (388k)
    Becky & Bayley vs Alexa & Lacey (541k)
    Paul Heyman promo on Seth (715k)
    A Reigns backstage interview (382k)
    Miz TV (436k)
    Firefly Fun House (778k)
    Shane & Drew promo (839k)
    Rollins vs KO (976k)
    The 24/7 Elevator skit (2.9million, that's over 10 times the amount)

Just enjoy AEW if that's what's ticking your wrestling box. There is a way you get to do that and not look like an absolute dope in the future too, but this isn't it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

For a guy who used to be one of the most interesting and informative posters on this forum, you seem to get more condescending and arrogant with every post you make defending everything WWE. The same thing happened when people tried to discuss the idea of "go away heat" or X-Pac heat. It's getting a bit like the Stephanie McMahon of the Pro Wrestling forum, and it's a shame to watch.

You just don't like the stuff I'm saying because it doesn't make the point you want made. But I'm giving you posts filled with facts and stats to back up everything I'm saying. You guys want to believe this narrative and 2019 has made people allergic to hearing anything that contradicts what they want to believe, even if it's clearly the truth, but there's cold, hard facts that can tell the truth of these things.

Call me arrogant if you want for pointing out these facts but I'm not interested in narratives and bad analysis that have no basis in reality.

Be more secure in yourselves and your opinion and just settle on, "I enjoy this, I don't enjoy this." But needing to have those views validated and say "...and others feel the same, I'm not alone!!" leads to people making bad points. All I'm doing is pointing out those bad points. You're still totally entitled to like what you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'm sure people would let opinions be opinions if they weren't being insulted by being called fanboys and dopes. Again, you're preaching a message that you're not adhering to yourself.

I'm not having a go at you just pointing out that no one provoked you into making it personal.

I'm sure people would let opinions be opinions if they weren't being insulted by being called fanboys and dopes. Again, you're preaching a message that you're not adhering to yourself.

I'm not having a go at you just pointing out that no one provoked you into making it personal.

I said there were TNA fanboys in the 00’s who said similar and that people could look like absolute dopes in the future if they carry on like that, I never personally insulted one person here, while I’m directly being called “arrogant” and not saying a word about that.

Can we not be so sensitive and go looking for insults where there are none? Never mind the fact it’s clearly to deflect from the actual facts that people don’t want to deal with.

So back on topic...does anyone want to address the fact that a meaningless Lars Sullivan match got 50% more views than AEW’s flagship video when both were released on the same day? Or how the 24/7 skit got 10x the views? Or are we going to continue to live in this delusional narrative that All Out selling out while Stomping Ground doesn’t means WWE are in trouble and people are flocking to AEW?

leggo wrote: »

So back on topic...does anyone want to address the fact that a meaningless Lars Sullivan match got 50% more views than AEW’s flagship video when both were released on the same day? Or how the 24/7 skit got 10x the views? Or are we going to continue to live in this delusional narrative that All Out selling out while Stomping Ground doesn’t means WWE are in trouble and people are flocking to AEW?

You can buy Youtube views.

lawlolawl wrote: »
    You can buy Youtube views.

:pac:

But only WWE can. AEW’s are all legit. #Toosweetwoopwoop.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Some may enjoy it, others may be allergic to hearing anything that contradicts the world view they want so that’s okay too! :pac:
    There is a way you get to do that and not look like an absolute dope in the future too, but this isn't it.

Is there any wonder people are calling you condescending and unpalatable on here? Jesus Christ.

:pac:

But only WWE can. AEW’s are all legit. #Toosweetwoopwoop.

I'm more inclined to think that the hypocritical Saudi blood money company with the dismal ratings and free-falling event attendance is the one who will be dishonest about how popular they are.

Is this thread about me and whether or not I’m condescending? No, it’s not, why are you trying to make it about me when there’s loads of relevant stuff on the table to be discussed? But when someone is asked to specifically address facts provided? Complete silence except for one person saying “...yeah well they probably bought those YouTube views...”

You’re acting like Trump supporters lads: coming up with conspiracy theories, then when supplied with facts that contradict those conclusively throwing a strop and trying to make it about the person supplying them instead.

• Advertisement

I'm more inclined to think that the hypocritical Saudi blood money company with the dismal ratings and free-falling event attendance is the one who will be dishonest about how popular they are.

Not one of those things have a single thing to do with YouTube hits. You literally have to do mental somersaults and believe conspiracy theories to accept your reading of the situation.

Btw Meltzer claimed that All Out had a bigger demand than any WrestleMania ever. Ask yourselves honestly: does that sound like you’re getting reliable information from a source who appears in this company’s promotional videos? If we’re going to talk about reliable sources.

Is this thread about me and whether or not I’m condescending? No, it’s not, why are you trying to make it about me when there’s loads of relevant stuff on the table to be discussed? But when someone is asked to specifically address facts provided? Complete silence except for one person saying “...yeah well they probably bought those YouTube views...”

You’re acting like Trump supporters lads: coming up with conspiracy theories, then when supplied with facts that contradict those conclusively throwing a strop and trying to make it about the person supplying them instead.

You haven't come up with any facts though.

You told some anecdotes about events you've run and asserted that Youtube views (easily bought) are an indicator of popularity rather than ratings and live attendance.

You’re acting like Trump supporters lads

It's type of sh*te that makes people not wanna engage

You haven't come up with any facts though.

You told some anecdotes about events you've run and asserted that Youtube views (easily bought) are an indicator of popularity rather than ratings and live attendance.

Stop. You’re embarrassing yourself, seriously. If you’re going to claim that WWE purchased those YouTube hits (and for some reason made the 24/7 stuff three times more popular than anything else), can you supply one bit of evidence beyond “...they ran a show in Saudi Arabia...”

One. One bit of evidence. Not a conspiracy theory, actual proven evidence to back up a word you’re saying: that WWE purchased YouTube hits to boost these videos so they’d beat Being The Elite’s video released this past Monday (such a specific thing to do that could only be relevant in this exact thread on boards.ie and nowhere else). Can you do so or not: yes or no?

Just so happens I picked up the latest FSM and the news in brief section had this report;

There were a number of interesting details in WWE's first quarter financial repprt, published on April 25. The company lost $8.396 million for the quarter whereas in the same quarter last year, it pocketed $14.835 million in profit.

The Network subscriber number had been published on April 8, the day after WresteMania, breaking down to 1.767 million paid subscribers plus 233,000 on free trial. The paid number is down 2% year-on-year but, bizarrely, the free trial number was down 26%. Clearly, fewer people were interested in WrestleMania, even for free, than in years gone by.

It went on to say that house show revenue was down $4.6 year-on-year and that resulted in average attendance being down by around 11%.

That above is all facts and figures. No opinion. All pretty damning stats.

Nobody is disputing that there are downtrends, certainly not me, but the point of contention is if they are significant and worth reading into, i.e. Are WWE ‘dying’ or in trouble? Are AEW taking over? Like every entity similar to WWE experiences ups and downs over a long enough span. People use “The NFL ratings were down but now they’re up!” as an example like it doesn’t prove exactly what I’m saying.

I started following this stuff in 2002, which was the end of The Attitude Era. I reported on it so I remember a lot of it quite vividly: when the ratings went from boom to normal people were predicting the end of days. And, as everyone knows, that was 17 years ago now. Since then we saw a company like AEW, who got backing from a rich, successful person’s daughter that enabled them to get on national TV, steal disgruntled WWE talent who complained that things were going to the dogs there, convince fans unhappy with the product that they were competition and WWE was in trouble with bad ratings etc.

We’ve seen it all before. All of it.

WWE will never die. It's too big and well known. What's happening is that the creative bankruptcy they're showing is driving away a good amount of viewers who have stuck by them throughout the years. Kids will always go. People will always check out the Rumble and Mania. The point is that staunch loyalists are starting to become apathetic. If you take this forum as a small microcosm, we used to have a new Raw thread live every week with lots of interaction and commentary and opinions. Nowadays, you'd be lucky to get three or four posts in a superthread, most of which just complain about what's on.

To be fair, boards is a bad gauge to use for interest in anything, I remember a couple months back (maybe even last year) the sitewide discussion was “Is boards dying?” because of the rise in the likes of Reddit, Twitter etc. Message boards in general are dying out because younger people go to the above sources instead and don’t need to find a place like this like maybe people my age did years ago, so like with TV wrestling is just following the trend there. You don’t see threads popping up and old posters returning for big AEW/NJPW shows either like, it’s just the board is slowly dying. You still get live threads of all of the above on Reddit and Twitter does be hopping.

What I will give you is that, over here, staying up late for Raw and Smackdown has died out. And I’ll tell you exactly when it happened, because we used to do social media every week and had to stop: when the brand split happened. When they asked people to stay up for 5 hours over two nights instead of 3 hours one night, people just said “nope.” So there’s a middle ground there that we can agree on. If you asked me if WWE were over-saturating, I’d say yes. But it’s when people jump automatically to 10 it starts to get just factually incorrect and ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,125 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

To be fair, boards is a bad gauge to use for interest in anything, I remember a couple months back (maybe even last year) the sitewide discussion was “Is boards dying?” because of the rise in the likes of Reddit, Twitter etc. Message boards in general are dying out because younger people go to the above sources instead and don’t need to find a place like this like maybe people my age did years ago, so like with TV wrestling is just following the trend there. You don’t see threads popping up and old posters returning for big AEW/NJPW shows either like, it’s just the board is slowly dying. You still get live threads of all of the above on Reddit and Twitter does be hopping.

Twitter and Reddit is a better gauge of the general feeling about the product than boards, that's a given due to how far around the world both of them reach. Still.....go visit the Squared Circle sub Reddit and you'll see a similar exhaustion and indifference towards the WWE product that you're seeing here.

So your musings about this forum being a bad gauge do not make sense given the opinions here are generally shared across social media. In fact I can't really see the point of your post at all other than making a veiled dig about the people posting here being irrelevant.

• Advertisement

You’re legitimately looking for digs now. I think you read every word I say as if I’m talking to you specifically with ill intent. I don’t know you. I don’t have a bad, or good, word to say about you to throw digs or have any reason to. Whereas haven’t I already had to ask you to leave me alone in a different forum? We’re not in a ‘feud’, this isn’t a ‘beef’, stop taking my opinions so personally random stranger under an alias! :pac:

Once again, I disagree with the notion that WWE’s downtrend is indicative of them ‘dying’, AEW ‘taking over’ or anything more significant than “oh yeah ratings are down a bit and they probably need to cop on and do something about that.” I disagree with it whether it’s said on boards, Reddit, Twitter, Tinder or on the street. There’s no biases or vendetta. That’s just my opinion and I’m arguing it using facts and logic.

Advertisement