Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Pride 2019

• 05-04-2019 7:39pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Happy with the new route this year.

I'm hoping that Pride this year will be an improvement on the last couple of years which seemed to have been more about sponsorship and less about, well, pride!

Route

:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Will it be a smaller parade now it's going down O'Connell Street? Great news it's going back down the main street of Dublin. It's just a pity it won't go down Dame Street like it used to. Another battle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Charles Ingles

Thought with the passing of marriage referendum we have achieved equality.( Which I was delighted to see pass)
    Maybe the pride parade is past its sell by date.
    Maybe a name change to LOVE a celebration for everyone

Thought with the passing of marriage referendum we have achieved equality.( Which I was delighted to see pass) Maybe the pride parade is past its sell by date. Maybe a name change to LOVE a celebration for everyone

Numbers keep growing every year.

It's definitely evolved over the years from a protest to a party.

I believe it's a protest and a party.

Numbers keep growing every year.

It's definitely evolved over the years from a protest to a party.

Been a few times and had a great time QA ÀÀÀA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Yes, and also to show solidarity with LGBT people who live in oppressive regimes who cannot express themselves freely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,736 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thought with the passing of marriage referendum we have achieved equality.( Which I was delighted to see pass)
    Maybe the pride parade is past its sell by date.
    Maybe a name change to LOVE a celebration for everyone

That was one aspect of equality. Not equality itself.

There are many areas that still need improvement; family law for same sex parents is still appalingly bad, sex ed in schools needs to badly improved, we need to update the gender recocgnition laws, we could do with some hate crime legislation.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

That was one aspect of equality. Not equality itself.

There are many areas that still need improvement; family law for same sex parents is still appalingly bad, sex ed in schools needs to badly improved, we need to update the gender recocgnition laws, we could do with some hate crime legislation.
    I'll admit never thought of those issues .
    Very fair points I think we on the right path

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,125 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

ILGA is the international NGO that monitors LGBT issues in all countries around the world and publishes it's rankings annually. The Jan-Dec 2018 review is due to be published in a month but from the pre-read that is available I can see that Ireland scored 15th in Europe, the same place as last year.

ILGA Ireland Chapter
    https://www.ilga-europe.org/sites/default/files/ireland.pdf

Rainbow Europe Ireland Summary
    https://rainbow-europe.org/#8639/0/0

All countries are measured in 6 key areas, Ireland scores very well in 3 of them and very badly in the remaining 3. In 2018;

Equality and non-discrimination|21%
    Family|89%
    Hate crime and hate speech|13%
    Gender recognition and bodily integrity|78%
    Civil society space|100%
    Asylum|17%

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The ILGA rankings are fundamentally faulty and really not worth anything. Countries with no SSM get high rankings based on spurious sidelines every time out for instance.

Personally I don't believe that but regardless, the ILGA rankings do help put into perspective statements like "once the marriage referendum passed we achieved full equality". There is still a lot of work to do and serious legislative gaps in protections for LGBT people in Ireland - some countries have closed these gaps and some have not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

MOD NOTE

I've removed posts from the thread for being off-topic and either breaking or skirting rules #10 and #11, at least, of the charter.

Stick to the topic of the Pride parade. Leave out the theories and "reasonable debate" on gender and identity.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

2019 is a milestone year for LGBT Pride worldwide: it marks the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall riots in New York, when the patrons of a gay bar in downtown NYC got sick of the constant police raids and harassment and fought back over a period of three days and nights.

These riots led to the formation of gay and lesbian lobby groups and organisations, and whilst a passive pro LGBT rights movement had been in existence for a while before Stonewall, the event caused the movement to shift several gears up. The first Pride marches were held the following year, in 1970, began to spread throughout the Western world during the 1970s and the rest is, well, history.

Will there be any sort of recognition of Stonewall 50 at Dublin Pride or a linking in with the New York events?

And whilst the march toward equality in Ireland has nearly reached its goals, a key aim of pride events should be to show solidarity with LGBT people who live in oppressive, deeply intolerant and quite frankly savage countries, of which sadly there are many.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PointHop123

I sincerely hope that the corporate sponsorship is strictly controlled and limited this year.

The last couple of years have been bland snoozefest - particulary in Smithfield Square. Deciding that the afterparty is to be 'family-friendly' ie friendly for the corporate sponsors' involvement was a betrayal of the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Much prefer Smithfield to Merrion Square. It was pure pants in Merrion Square, nowhere to go anywhere near there.

Mrs ingles and myself will be attending this year to support the LGBT community.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

cgcsb wrote: »
    Much prefer Smithfield to Merrion Square. It was pure pants in Merrion Square, nowhere to go anywhere near there.

Agreed. Maybe it was the fine weather last year but there was an absolutely fantastic buzz around Smithfield Square last year. It was like a street party and then you had the various pubs (I visited the Cobblestone for the first time!) and you could then walk over to Stoneybatter or back towards Dame/Capel/Parliament St area in minutes.

ongarboy wrote: »
    Agreed. Maybe it was the fine weather last year but there was an absolutely fantastic buzz around Smithfield Square last year. It was like a street party and then you had the various pubs (I visited the Cobblestone for the first time!) and you could then walk over to Stoneybatter or back towards Dame/Capel/Parliament St area in minutes.

There's shag all decent places to go to around merrion sq, it's dead on weekends, mostly offices and closed shops. A handful of bars with no atmosphere. The Smithfield/Stoneybatter area was a great place to finish. I think the south side gays were just in fits having to cross the liffey and all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I sincerely hope that the corporate sponsorship is strictly controlled and limited this year.

The last couple of years have been bland snoozefest - particulary in Smithfield Square. Deciding that the afterparty is to be 'family-friendly' ie friendly for the corporate sponsors' involvement was a betrayal of the community.

Agree, the big corporate groups, particularly the big American ones bring little to the parade, it's just another way for them to advertise and virtue signal.

Will St Leger as grand marshall, congratulations!

• Advertisement

The parade gives with one hand and takes from another. It's going down O'Connell Street again but finishes up in a dead area of the city.

One of these days, they'll actually get it right.

I fail to see why they can't close off Dame Street and have the after party there.

The parade gives with one hand and takes from another. It's going down O'Connell Street again but finishes up in a dead area of the city.

One of these days, they'll actually get it right.

I fail to see why they can't close off Dame Street and have the after party there.

Car is still king in Dublin. Hence, no plaza in college green

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Just so confusing.
    This years Pride, sponsored by Aviva insurance.
    it just defeats the entire purpose to hand over a still legitimate and important political protest into corporate hands.

But They’re lighting up Lansdwne road all this week in Pride colours. But not on the Saturday cos there’s a match and pitch maintenance. But they really are committed as allies (eyeroll implied)

Is it not possible to take this back away from corporations each year, make it a ticketed event at a venue or suitable location and raise funds that way? It would also solve the myriad issues that have emerged with pride the last few years, certain groups and demographics joining in and causing (underage) drunken chaos, comes first to mind.
    It needs some cash to get up and running but a corporate sponsor for a parade ran entirely or almost by volunteers is just a bit mad. Don’t care about the money aspect. I’d give it to them if I had it.
    The point and the heart of it gets blown away into cheap tackiness with the corporate involvement though. Could be a huge event or festival even for the city instead it’s an ad space

The Garda cars look, eh, different!! Some people properly losing it in the comment section (Twitter outrage is fascinating at times!)

https://mobile.twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1138022912647192576

The Garda cars look, eh, different!! Some people properly losing it in the comment section (Twitter outrage is fascinating at times!)

https://mobile.twitter.com/gardainfo/status/1138022912647192576

That’s cool.
    We really are moving forward here. Well, except for the perpetually outraged who hate things like equality and inclusivity.

The Pride Guide is out, it's a 189 page magazine!

There's actually some really good stuff in there, including a section called mapping pride which covers significant events over the last 50 years. It's spread all through the magazine.

Starts on page 31 with 1969 (Stonewall riots) and 1970 (Founding of the GLF by Pete Thatchell in London).

1982 (Declan Flynn and the start of the rights movement in Ireland) is on page 74

Well worth a read

https://issuu.com/dublinpridefestival/docs/prideguide2019-2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

That’s cool.
    We really are moving forward here. Well, except for the perpetually outraged who hate things like equality and inclusivity.

Are you referring to the homophobic response or the objections of LGBT people to the inclusion of police in the parade?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Are you referring to the homophobic response or the objections of LGBT people to the inclusion of police in the parade?

For me both are getting on my tits.

• Advertisement

Both to be honest. I love seeing inclusion and forward steps. Same time people will always rant.

Advertisement