Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Raymond Van Barneveld Thread - Final Year

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

This thread is back in business!

I think being out of the Premier League will actually help him. Getting hammered every week was doing his confidence no favours at all. I still think he will miss out on the Worlds though.

He has a weekend off this weekend as he hasn't qualified for the European Tour 2 tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I'm guessing Sky had him pencilled in for a few of those World Series of Darts events, hard to turn down free money and an all-expenses paid holiday.

Mardle referred to his 'commitments' last night during the post match discussion, maybe that's what he meant.

Wonder will the PDC/Sky/MVG pick Barney for the World Cup. A win there gets him into the Grand Slam.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Officer999

I think bowing out in front of his adoring fans in Rotterdam wasn't a bad way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

sc86 wrote: »
    darts is change fast , to lose taylor and barney so close together
    how long will anderson be around?
    its getting boring and predictable a while now

I don't know how you can say that, the facts just don't back your statement. It's less predictable now than it has been for some time. Just look at the variety of different winners compared to when Taylor was cleaning up. MVG isn't doing that as consistently as Taylor did so we have new major winners like Price, Gurney, Aspinall with plenty of others winning non ranking events too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭sc86

I don't know how you can say that, the facts just don't back your statement. It's less predictable now than it has been for some time. Just look at the variety of different winners compared to when Taylor was cleaning up. MVG isn't doing that as consistently as Taylor did so we have new major winners like Price, Gurney, Aspinall with plenty of others winning non ranking events too.

Mvg is winning a high percentage of events just like taylor did.
    The difference is 10 years ago when taylor was winning everything, there much much less tv events than now , no world series , etc
    For me its at saturation point and for first time ever im finding myself lose interest in it at times.
    The proper big names / characters are dwindling
    All just my opinion
    Im watching darts since bdo worlds in 96

For example
    The grand slam was my fav event of the year 10 years ago as you got to see top bdo boys play top pdc once a year , over the years its got worse and worse.
    Now the bdo players are in general so poor and its just turned into another tv major.
    Various things like this form my opinion
    I dont really care if 10k watch premier league on a thur night in holland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Hadn't discovered the game of darts while Barney was at his best, but the final against Taylor is probably the only ever darts match you can watch over and over again, and feel the drama unfold as if it were live. Think he should reconsider his reconsideration to reconsider his retirement and just retire now, as a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

It's probably to do with his sponsors that he can't quit mid season,sue the ass off him,he's done for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭melon_collie

Kingp35 wrote: »
    I was at that final in the brilliant Circus Tavern. It's still the greatest sporting event I've ever been too. Incredible final and incredible atmosphere. You could hear a pin drop while the players were throwing but the crowd were going mental between throws. I'll always remember Barney fondly for that match.

Me too. It was an absolute classic. That Christmas I split up from girlfriend of 6 years. I was totally gutted. Spent Christmas alone in Dublin in my flat. Didn't speak to or hear from anyone over the 10 days. Went to The Coal Porter in Rathmines to watch the final alone. I was a big Barney fan and he certainly put a smile back on my face. I can still remember the 180 in the last leg. It was incredible. I will always remember him for cheering me up at that time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Barney has dropped one spot in World Rankings to 31 after last weekends European Tour. Keegan Brown is right behind him now after his good run the tournament.

So is Barney retired or not? Any updates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Officer999 wrote: »
    So is Barney retired or not? Any updates?

No, he reversed his decision to retire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Unfortunately a classic example of a once-great superstar of his sport hanging on just a little too long..

George Foreman springs to mind

Fact is Barney is a pale shadow of the player he was 5 years ago, let alone the champ that won that great final in 2007
    If I had one shot to turn back the clock and attend a great sporting event, that would be near the top of the list

The game against MvG too. Probably the best match ever at a World Championship quality wise, and the one against Taylor for drama. Did he hit the first ever 9 at a PDC World Championship too?

Degag wrote: »
    No, he reversed his decision to retire.

Ah I see. Saw he had unretired but wasn't sure if he had retired again since

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Petyr Baelish

sc86 wrote: »
    Mvg is winning a high percentage of events just like taylor did.
    The difference is 10 years ago when taylor was winning everything, there much much less tv events than now , no world series , etc
    For me its at saturation point and for first time ever im finding myself lose interest in it at times.
    The proper big names / characters are dwindling
    All just my opinion
    Im watching darts since bdo worlds in 96

For example
    The grand slam was my fav event of the year 10 years ago as you got to see top bdo boys play top pdc once a year , over the years its got worse and worse.
    Now the bdo players are in general so poor and its just turned into another tv major.
    Various things like this form my opinion
    I dont really care if 10k watch premier league on a thur night in holland

Ok, but that's not what said about it being predicable is it?

Another poor showing from Barney this weekend in the two Pro Tour events. He lost in the last 64 of PC11 and picked up £500 and then lost in the first round of PC12 and picked up £0.

He is a long way off qualifying for the majors at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Another poor showing from Barney this weekend in the two Pro Tour events. He lost in the last 64 of PC11 and picked up £500 and then lost in the first round of PC12 and picked up £0.

He is a long way off qualifying for the majors at the moment.

Just a little less money as the Women's BDO German Masters winner who got 800

Barney has pulled out of this weekends Euro Tour qualifiers and Players Championship events, he confirmed the news on his Twitter page. This means that he cannot qualify for the World Matchplay now and is guaranteed to miss the tournament. Obviously this also has a knock on effect on his chances of qualifying for the World Championships.

Slides down to #31 in the rankings now and not competing at the match play.

Slides down to #31 in the rankings now and not competing at the match play.

Barney lost in the second round in 2017 so he'll be down another £11k after the tournament. With Jeffrey De Zwan having qualified, I think he'll be out of the top 32 when the Matchplay is over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Another seeming disinterested defeat for Barney, beaten 1st round German masters by Clemens

TbL

Barney lost in the second round in 2017 so he'll be down another £11k after the tournament. With Jeffrey De Zwan having qualified, I think he'll be out of the top 32 when the Matchplay is over.

As I suspected above, Barney has dropped to No. 35 in the world following the World Matchplay so he is now officially outside the qualifying places for the World Championships.

Considering he effectively gave up on trying to qualify for the Matchplay, I have no idea why he bothered to play another year on the tour because it's now looking unlikely he'll be at Ally Pally in December.

As I suspected above, Barney has dropped to No. 35 in the world following the World Matchplay so he is now officially outside the qualifying places for the World Championships.

Considering he effectively gave up on trying to qualify for the Matchplay, I have no idea why he bothered to play another year on the tour because it's now looking unlikely he'll be at Ally Pally in December.

He's already safe for Ally pally according to Burton de Witt. He's well above the projected cut off?

He's already safe for Ally pally according to Burton de Witt. He's well above the projected cut off?

Actually you're right, he is higher in the Pro Tour OOM than I thought he was, he is currently 50. Top 64 would guarantee qualification.

Actually you're right, he is higher in the Pro Tour OOM than I thought he was, he is currently 50. Top 64 would guarantee qualification.

I couldn't believe it my self. Seems it'd be harder if he tried to not quality for it.

I think he genuinely wanted to pack it in that night he retired in the premier league and his sponsors/sky persuaded him to stay on. Sad to see. He seems done and in enjoying life with his new woman on social media

C'est la vie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭celt262

Go on Barney ya boy ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

**** that. gutted and angry and I dont know why I am.
    All the last few years waiting for him to pull his head out of his hole and throw like he can.
    I am beyond dissapointed. He was my favourite player from the BDO days, he moved to the PDC we got that final... and now to this.. I may have had too many pints today but I am gutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

• Advertisement
Advertisement