Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Men who inspire you to age well

• 09-07-2017 3:33pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭

Examples that come to mind would be Jason Statham, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Dylan McDermott, Keanu Reeves, Billy Idol (sort of), and Will Smith. Perhaps Will Smith doesn't count as much, because he's black and black people age better anyway! Before you give your own examples, google these guys if the name doesn't ring a bell.

These men are an inspiration to me as a young man. They're the sort that you kind of forget about their age. You'd be sitting there watching a movie or something for a while before you'd realise "hang on, how long has he been around?". You see most people are associated with an age - but these guys can sit with the oldies one moment (on a talk show or whatever it may be), and yet in another, they can be youthful & bathe in young pussy... or at least could if they wanted to. They've it both ways!

I loved the way when Graham Northon pointed out how Kenanu Reeves hadn't seemed to age, Kenau's reply was a strong "that is not true!" - and that's a good way to handle it, rather than saying "oh well what I do is, I eat X at 2pm every day...."

Oh and I nearly forgot; Robert Redford, even though he's a bit passed it now, but he was damn sexy at 60 in 'Up Close and Personal'!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Inspire you to age well? I mean besides taking care of yourself to a decent degree it sounds like you're talking about just having good genes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

...& bathe in young pussy...

Fcukin' 'ell mate :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Sorry but you won't be bathing in teen pussy unless you are rich and famous.

There's only one Anne Frank

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Pictures Of Lilly

Sorry but you won't be bathing in teen pussy unless you are rich and famous.
    I didn't say teen, I said young!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

These lads have to watch what they eat and generally have to be very fit.

Makeup will help on screen too. Half the lads probably get botox as well as it's like going to the shop in America

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Plus a fair few have "help". Botox as you say and cosmetic surgery(skin peels, hair transplants and the like) and especially various drug therapies like human growth hormone, testosterone replacement and other anabolics. No names, no pack drill, but a fair few older gentlemen in Hollywoodland are clearly on the juice. Which TBH I would have very little objection to. Within reason and reasonable doses. Hormone replacement therapy for men as it were.

In certain jurisdictions a guy can even get a doctor to sign off on that stuff, because of "low testosterone levels". Robbie Williams has come out and admitted he takes it. As he says in the article; “I went to get some HGH. It’s what all the old fellas are on out there in LA that's making them look 40 instead of 60. Though he was only 37 at the time.

So yeah, be careful of thinking some 60 year old rich famous guy who claimed he looks good on "clean living and exercise". It's far more likely he's getting extra help on top of that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    So yeah, be careful of thinking some 60 year old rich famous guy who claimed he looks good on "clean living and exercise". It's far more likely he's getting extra help on top of that.
    I wasn't aware of that.

You'd think plastic surgery would look obvious, like with John Travolta and Courtney Cox. But regarding HGH, I definitely wasn't aware of it. Surely something like that is too good to be true - you'd think it would have long term consequences!

But most Hollywood celebs do look their age. The men I've mentioned are the rare few that I can think of that actually look so young. I wouldn't be inclined to think that any of the names I've mentioned have had actual surgery.

Good genetics and subtle surgical help are usually behind the good agers of either gender. Poor genetics can't be saved by surgery or fillers, people just wind up looking alien. Everybody grows old, money can soften the appearance but it can't stop it.

Reminds me of this:

S0oUfzN.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

....... wrote: »
    Billy Idol too? You obviously can't be 100% certain... seeing as it's presumably all kept hush.

It must be scary putting your face in the hands of a surgeon! Courtney Cox must have been furious at what happened to her. I'd love to understand what these surgeons do? I mean what can they do for neck lines? They hardly inject botox into one's neck?

Billy Idol too?

It must be scary putting your face in the hands of a surgeon! Courtney Cox must have been furious at what happened to her. I'd love to understand what these surgeons do? I mean what can they do for neck lines? They hardly inject botox into one's neck?

You can get a neck lift, or fillers into the rings, or both. If there's skin, there's a way of lifting it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I wasn't aware of that.

You'd think plastic surgery would look obvious, like with John Travolta and Courtney Cox. But regarding HGH, I definitely wasn't aware of it. Surely something like that is too good to be true - you'd think it would have long term consequences!
    Good surgery doesn't look nearly so obvious. Face peels and the like. Plus men are allowed more wrinkles as it were. HGH and testosterone(and similar) would be pretty rampant. Not the massive doses of bodybuilder types, but more like bringing levels up to where they were when a man was say 25. Testosterone levels in fit healthy men with good genetics starts to drop after around 30, but by small amounts, like 1-2% a year. There isn't the sudden change like happens in women in menopause.

In healthy men. Many men as they age experience drop offs that are more severe, or have low enough levels to begin with. Robbie Williams apparently did. Such drops reflect all sorts of ageing issues. Lack of muscle tone, increased fat deposits, low libido, energy even psychological effects. The middle aged spread can be a side effect of such drops. Now diet and exercise and other lifestyle choices can certainly help raise levels, but not to the degree of getting back to the higher average of younger men. Check out guys like Sean Penn, or Mel Gibson. Both well past the flush of youth and... well they must have fantastic genetics...

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Not the massive doses of bodybuilder types, but more like bringing levels up to where they were when a man was say 25. Testosterone levels in fit healthy men with good genetics starts to drop after around 30, but by small amounts, like 1-2% a year.
    So how come balding continues, as well as growth of the beard? Isn't a bald head the sign of testosterone?
    Many men as they age experience drop offs that are more severe, or have low enough levels to begin with. Robbie Williams apparently did.
    I remember reading something about that many years back. It's kind of ironic, to think that a man who got so many ladies is LOW in testosterone. He was also a fine well built and healthy looking man, with masculine features
    HGH and testosterone(and similar) would be pretty rampant.
    So that's all I've to do so? when I'm older! is to pay a good load of money and get myself some of it?! Great

Is it for women too?

So how come balding continues, as well as growth of the beard? Isn't a bald head the sign of testosterone?
    I remember reading something about that many years back. It's kind of ironic, to think that a man who got so many ladies is LOW in testosterone. He was also a fine well built and healthy looking man, with masculine features
    So that's all I've to do so? when I'm older! is to pay a good load of money and get myself some of it?! Great
    Nah, the testosterone link is pop-science rubbish. It seems to have something to do with when testosterone is breaking down but whether you have loads or little testosterone it'll be enough when broken down to cause baldness.

It'd be funny to see a 30 year old looking man walking with the frailness of a 70 year old!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Plus a fair few have "help". Botox as you say and cosmetic surgery(skin peels, hair transplants and the like) and especially various drug therapies like human growth hormone, testosterone replacement and other anabolics. No names, no pack drill, but a fair few older gentlemen in Hollywoodland are clearly on the juice. Which TBH I would have very little objection to. Within reason and reasonable doses. Hormone replacement therapy for men as it were.

In certain jurisdictions a guy can even get a doctor to sign off on that stuff, because of "low testosterone levels". Robbie Williams has come out and admitted he takes it. As he says in the article; “I went to get some HGH. It’s what all the old fellas are on out there in LA that's making them look 40 instead of 60. Though he was only 37 at the time.

Joe Rogan, for example, gets testosterone replacement. He gets his testosterone level replenished to the same level it was when he was around 27.

Nope. A bald 20 year old man could have quite low testosterone. It's how your hair follicles are genetically predisposed to being weakened by testosterone. For example in eunuchs in India older ones can still suffer from thinning hair and male pattern baldness, even though they have no testicles. It would delay balding in a man prone to it, but it'll still happen.
    The look of a man can give little enough indication of low testosterone. It again depends on how his body responds to it. This can vary a lot*. On a personal note I have higher than average testosterone discovered in medical tests years ago. I'm thin, no muscle to speak of, not particularly physically strong, beard hair grows very slow(though I could grow a full beard by 16 and my voice broke before any of my classmates). The only effect I can see is that I stayed lean and never got the middle aged spread common among my peers, my skin seems thicker(fewer wrinkles) and have higher than average bone density even though I don't exercise.

In any such "age improving" drug regime the individual's needs would have to be very carefully adjusted.

*Aside it's why I take issue with drug cheats in sport. The idea that "sure if they're all taking the same drugs, then the winning results would be in the same order" doesn't work like that. Some people are better responders than others and get greater results from the same doses than others.

Nope. A bald 20 year old man could have quite low testosterone. It's how your hair follicles are genetically predisposed to being weakened by testosterone. For example in eunuchs in India older ones can still suffer from thinning hair and male pattern baldness, even though they have no testicles. It would delay balding in a man prone to it, but it'll still happen.

The look of a man can give little enough indication of low testosterone. It again depends on how his body responds to it. This can vary a lot*. On a personal note I have higher than average testosterone discovered in medical tests years ago. I'm thin, no muscle to speak of, not particularly physically strong, beard hair grows very slow(though I could grow a full beard by 16 and my voice broke before any of my classmates). The only effect I can see is that I stayed lean and never got the middle aged spread common among my peers, my skin seems thicker(fewer wrinkles) and have higher than average bone density even though I don't exercise.

In any such "age improving" drug regime the individual's needs would have to be very carefully adjusted.

*Aside it's why I take issue with drug cheats in sport. The idea that "sure if they're all taking the same drugs, then the winning results would be in the same order" doesn't work like that. Some people are better responders than others and get greater results from the same doses than others.
    I'm 28 and I've the beard of an 18 year old. This doesn't confirm I'm low in testosterone though, does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

So, wear yourself out and deplete the auld hormones... then just pop into your GP, and get a top up??

Doesn't really sound like a positive aging message to me. More like a licence to run your body into the ground, and then get a quick fix solution!

Positive aging is more about accepting that your hormones are going to naturally drop... instead of trying to artificially maintain the hormone levels of a 20 year old, when you're 50.

instead of trying to artificially maintain the hormone levels of a 20 year old, when you're 50.
    could you not have at least said 25, or even 21? but 20! now I feel old.

I guess I just don't really believe in taking shortcuts, where health is concerned...

I don't think you get the same results anyway. I know some older guys who are using "enhancements"... many of them just don't look right to me. I can spot genuine health, that comes from consistency and years of dedication, from the fake enhanced kind.

A heart bypass, is a surgical intervention to stop you dying... just like gastric bypass surgery. It's not really part of a healthy aging plan. (more like you didn't have a plan, or your plan didn't work very well)

Most people start out in life with fairly solid health. But their priorities get messed up by societal pressure in various ways.

Rather than being reactive, by patching people back together after they've messed their bodies up... we should look to be more proactive as a society, by learning lessons and getting better at pre-empting these issues!

• Advertisement

But you don't need good health to be dedicated!

Advertisement