Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Most passes I deal with are not to do with people not seeing me. They are to do with people who do see me, and decide to chance their arm in passing where there is no room to do so. I have 2 lights front, and 2 lights rear. I do have some highvis gear, but I don't always wear it, and I definitely don't agree with RSA's fetish for highvis clothing.

This about sums it up:

Putting this arsehole off the road would be a community service, can't believe he's actually out there all the time doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I don't want to victim-blame here, but it probably would have been better to take the lane when it was clear oncoming traffic would prevent a safe overtake there (similar to what I mentioned earlier) ?

It's hard to judge in the video if you could tell if the bus was approaching there so maybe in this case the corner prevented you from seeing the bus.

Saying that though, the corner is also the reason the taxi shouldn't have done that overtake, so definitely report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

Shocking pass. But what are you doing out in the middle of the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mrcheez wrote: »
    ... but it probably would have been better to take the lane when it was clear oncoming traffic....
    It's a busy road there and at certain times, there would be almost constant oncoming traffic, so it would probably be awkward to take the lane indefinitely.

Somedude9 wrote: »

indeed, he should have been further out, closer to the oncoming lane

• Advertisement

It's a busy road there and a certain times, there would be almost constant oncoming traffic so it would probably be awkward to take the lane indefinitely.

fair enough. Nightmare route :eek:

Are you for real?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Scary taxi video

Christ, he was cutting it a bit fine there. If that bus was travelling a couple of kmph quicker he'd probably have wiped you out pulling back in.

That's exactly where he should be. He is in the middle of the lane, not the road and it's the only safe way to negotiate that road (most roads for that matter). It usually prevents stupid overtakes like the one in the video. Clearly not in this case though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just an update, I am trying to report this through traffic watch but as yet I haven't gotten through(presume they're closed for the weekend now).

On my commute home I took the full lane and got on grand. Traffic was light enough at the time so it was easier. Thanks all for the advice.

And I didn't intend on taking over this thread, so apologies to the OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭jamesbil

CramCycle wrote: »
    MOD VOICE: There is a thread for helmet discussion, and one for hi vis discussion. Please do not bring them into this thread as all you will ever need to know, as well as all you will ever need to forget, is contained in those two megathreads.

Sorry about that cram cycle, I was merely raising the question of any link between being seen and near misses.
    From reading more it's looking like most is due to poor driving and bad drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

axer wrote: »
    Crazy dangerous pass. It is very easy to identify taxi driver from the Driver Check app and the driver's face can be seen in a frame at the 4 second mark. A pass like that requires more than just a warning but a conviction for dangerous driving. I'd say the driver didn't even pass a thought at how dangerous it was after the fact.

But I indicated...is the usual lameass comments when they do something stupid! (We are all supposed to be mind readers and play homage to them as a higher class of road user.

Lots of these taxi drivers are potential "killers for hire"!! (If you get my pun)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Fairview Park, people walking along beside the cycle track with uncontrolled dogs. Usually I slow down, thankfully today was the same as I had to jam on to stop for some black little Terrier that drifted into the cycle lane.

Not even a sorry from the owner, gob****e.

I think you'll find when you cycle in the middle of the lane you'll provoke rather than prevent dangerous overtakes.

I think you'll find when you cycle in the middle of the lane you'll provoke rather than prevent dangerous overtakes.
    Do you cycle regularly on busy roads?

Cycling at the edge of the lane provokes dangerous overtaking often without a reduction in speed and sends a signal to other drivers to do the same. It also eliminates any safety zone one may have. The vast majority of drivers will wait before overtaking a cyclist who is commanding the lane.

Cyclists are not second class road users and have the same rights as those using an internal combustion engine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I presume your cycling experience is minimal. Cycling close to the edge gives unaware drivers the impression that you are comfortable with a close overtake for various reasons.

One consciously or subconsciously, the driver sees how close you are to the edge and therefore assumes you are OK with someone being as close on your other side (no regard for the fact that it is moving, unstable and unpredictable).

Secondly, being out further on the road, forces the driver to give more room to make an overtake, therefore likely only to do so when space is there, as well as providing you with more space to move into should something go wrong.

Three, many presume you have moved in to signal an overtake is OK, without giving full consideration as to whether it is or not.

Do you cycle regularly on busy roads?

Cycling at the edge of the lane provokes dangerous overtaking often without a reduction in speed and sends a signal to other drivers to do the same. It also eliminates any safety zone one may have. The vast majority of drivers will wait before overtaking a cyclist who is commanding the lane.

Cyclists are not second class road users and have the same rights as those using an internal combustion engine.

Yes I cycling regularly but judiciously not on busy roads. That's all well and good, but I'm not putting my life on the line for such principles. You may be in the right but nonetheless it's not an argument you'll win.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What CramCycle and Wishbone have detailed is far far safer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Yes I cycling regularly but judiciously not on busy roads. That's all well and good, but I'm not putting my life on the line for such principles. You may be in the right but nonetheless it's not an argument you'll win.

You do get though that by not taking the lane you are quite likely encouraging overtakes when there really is not space to do so, therefore putting yourself at more risk. This is generally accepted as good roadcraft, even if it seems counter intuitive at first.

CramCycle wrote: »
    You do get though that by not taking the lane you are quite likely encouraging overtakes when there really is not space to do so, therefore putting yourself at more risk. This is generally accepted as good roadcraft, even if it seems counter intuitive at first.

Yes I understand the rationale, but in my experience it rarely works in practice. Such roadcraft generates frustration in drivers & with certain hotheads - like our friend in the video - you're just asking for trouble. Therefore I consider it inadvisable & unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Yes I understand the rationale, but in my experience it rarely works in practice. Such roadcraft generates frustration in drivers & with certain hotheads - like our friend in the video - you're just asking for trouble. Therefore I consider it inadvisable & unsafe.

It does work.

As a motorist I'll hang back behind a cyclist that's in front of me to avoid running over him/her the same as I would a tractor or slow moving car. I"ll pass when there's no oncoming traffic or if there's two lanes I'll move to the right hand lane and overtake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

......The vast majority of drivers will wait before overtaking a cyclist who is commanding the lane.

Or deliberately drive at you as happened me. Nearly hit me too only for I had left space on the inside and I needed it!

Yes I understand the rationale, but in my experience it rarely works in practice....
    Your experience as a cyclist or motorist?

Your experience as a cyclist or motorist?

Cyclist, as I don't drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Lads, sorry but I guess you drive cars also?

What's all this talk about people been close to the edge and overtaking..

Never in my life driving a car have I ever looking at any road user and thought that's a signal to overtake, EVER. If I overtake someone car/bike/truck, it's at my discretion and using my judgement not anyone else's, you could be on the other side of the road and I might not undertake/overtake you.

Don't believe your road position ever influences another road user as it does not ever.

I mean that last part in the nicest possible way also. Don't think because your in the middle of the lane someone want try something stupid. Don't think someone has seen you because you got that impression either. Don't think someone will not cut close to you because your going close to the edge.

• TallGlass wrote: »
    Fairview Park, people walking along beside the cycle track with uncontrolled dogs. Usually I slow down, thankfully today was the same as I had to jam on to stop for some black little Terrier that drifted into the cycle lane.

Not even a sorry from the owner, gob****e.

Don't go near that cycle path; its a mish mash of dogs, dog ****, broken glass, branches, pedestrians exiting the park, pedestrians getting off buses etc.

I cycle the malahide Rd into fairview every morning. When I hit the bottom and turn right, if I make the lights, I stay in the bus lane until the bridge /fire brigade station. You sometimes have to take the lane to prevent taxis from trying to kill you but it's better than the cycle lane.

If I don't make the lights, I cross at the pedestrian lights and go through the park itself. Much more pleasant, though not half as quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭dreamerb

TallGlass wrote: »

Don't believe your road position ever influences another road user as it does not ever.

I mean that last part in the nicest possible way also. Don't think because your in the middle of the lane someone want try something stupid. Don't think someone has seen you because you got that impression either. Don't think someone will not cut close to you because your going close to the edge.

Road position absolutely influences other road users. It often makes the difference between a driver thinking there's just space to squeeze by, and realising they have to make an actual proper manoeuvre.

Does it stop all drivers being aggressive or taking unreasonable risks? Of course not, but it will make a lot of people be more careful. More importantly, if you cycle assertively and take space, you have somewhere to go if someone does something horribly stupid / aggressive / dangerous. If another road user puts you in danger, you have a far better chance of being able to compensate by moving left or at worst throwing yourself off to the left. You're making space to move to if someone else is being stupid that is not under their (or someone else's) wheels.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

Tombo2001 wrote: »

Mostly young-ish men and women.

Brought up the issue of cycling safety the other day at work. It was shocking that the people with the most vitriol for cyclists were the younger people. My point was that when you are driving (driver myself) you are in a vehicle that can do more damage than pedestrians or cyclists. It was the middle aged and older people who were the most understanding of that.

A close family member commutes by bike everyday so the topic is close to my heart. And I hear all the near miss stories!

Maybe it's harder for younger people to put themselves in other's shoes. Might be an idea to start a campaign like that very upsetting one they have for drink driving at the moment showing how a cyclist death can impact their family and friends.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,989 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

had a fun one - technically not a near miss i suppose, but i'd crested howth summit and was heading northbound, down towards dublin bay, and had ratcheted up the speed. there's a car park a few hundred metres below the summit on that side, and a woman pulled up in a car to exit it - looked straight at me - and pulled out in front of me. slowly, so the worst of both worlds. thankfully i'd copped what she was about to do, and braked hard, but not panic braking, stopped about 5m short of her, and she just drove off. i think it was the fact that she'd just given me enough time to get angry that i shouted some profanity at her. if it had happened quicker, i wouldn't have had the luxury of it.

i reckon it was a classic case of 'oh that's a cyclist, he'll take ages to get here'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Brought up the issue of cycling safety the other day at work. It was shocking that the people with the most vitriol for cyclists were the younger people. My point was that when you are driving (driver myself) you are in a vehicle that can do more damage than pedestrians or cyclists. It was the middle aged and older people who were the most understanding of that.

A close family member commutes by bike everyday so the topic is close to my heart. And I hear all the near miss stories!

Maybe it's harder for younger people to put themselves in other's shoes. Might be an idea to start a campaign like that very upsetting one they have for drink driving at the moment showing how a cyclist death can impact their family and friends.

I honestly blame dangerous radio jocks for this crap. They're fomenting hatred, and should be stopped doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Saw a fella nearly get wiped out going across this cycle lane this morning, it's the main reason I don't use that lane myself, drivers aren't expecting a bike to come across their path as they approach the junction. Far safer to stick to the road along this route in my opinion.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement