Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-09-2019, 12:43   #3436

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashoonage View Post
Why do I feel like Bellator pulled the old Bait and Switch? Promote a fight with Discount Conor against someone worth a damn only to have them pull out mysteriously while getting a total can for him to pad his record while keeping the Main event spot.

This is why I've soured on MMA lately. Too much acting like they're prowrestling promotions instead a sports promotion.
Advertisement
19-09-2019, 00:00   #3437
Kessler3000

Just on people asking about the time, I expect it to be similar to the London show in June whereby they're billing it as two different cards (227 & Dublin). It's all the one show but they present it as two different shows for TV. The 9-10pm bit from London had two fights and aired on Sky Sports. The 10pm - MIDNIGHT timeslot was 4 fights on Channel 5/Virgin Media Sport. They change around some of the announce team between the two shows.

This will likely be similar so don't be expecting the show to finish til at least 11:30pm. I could be wrong but, from looking at the current lineup, I'd guess their plan is for Henderson to headline the Sky card with Kiefer being the fight before it. Then you've got McCourt, Queally, MVP and Gallagher for the card starting at 10:05pm. They could air some on tape delay and swap around the fight order but I doubt they will.

Start time will probably be 4:30-5pm range, depending on how many fights they end up with come weigh in time.
Thanks from:
19-09-2019, 12:35   #3438
fitzparker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessler3000 View Post
Just on people asking about the time, I expect it to be similar to the London show in June whereby they're billing it as two different cards (227 & Dublin). It's all the one show but they present it as two different shows for TV. The 9-10pm bit from London had two fights and aired on Sky Sports. The 10pm - MIDNIGHT timeslot was 4 fights on Channel 5/Virgin Media Sport. They change around some of the announce team between the two shows.

This will likely be similar so don't be expecting the show to finish til at least 11:30pm. I could be wrong but, from looking at the current lineup, I'd guess their plan is for Henderson to headline the Sky card with Kiefer being the fight before it. Then you've got McCourt, Queally, MVP and Gallagher for the card starting at 10:05pm. They could air some on tape delay and swap around the fight order but I doubt they will.

Start time will probably be 4:30-5pm range, depending on how many fights they end up with come weigh in time.
The cut off for 3 arena is 10:45-11

it should all be over for then, big fine if it goes over that I think (charge per minute comes to mind but i could be totally off)
19-09-2019, 13:06   #3439
Guy Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzparker View Post

it should all be over for then, big fine if it goes over that I think (charge per minute comes to mind but i could be totally off)
€1000 per minute is my understanding of it. When Eddie Vedder played there a few years ago he was enjoying it so much that when his allotted time was up he walked off the stage, signed a cheque for €25000, gave it to his manager to deal with and walked back on to the stage to keep playing.
(2) thanks from:
19-09-2019, 16:27   #3440
Guy Person

James Gallagher's new opponent is Roman Salazar. The fight will be a catchweight fight at 140 pounds.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter...-roman-salazar
Advertisement
19-09-2019, 17:04   #3441

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Person View Post
James Gallagher's new opponent is Roman Salazar. The fight will be a catchweight fight at 140 pounds.

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter...-roman-salazar
Wow. 13-9 and coming off a loss. They found nothing but the best for Discount Conor. Discount Conor won't make the same money as Conor while fighting nothing but cans and gimme fights.
19-09-2019, 18:57   #3442
Kessler3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzparker View Post

I've always assumed similar based on gigs and obviously someone else mentioned the price but the first Bellator show here ran til just after midnight. The one with King Mo in the main event. It had a Bamma undercard that wrapped up just after 9pm. The Bellator part of the card was 4 or 5 fights. It was airing on a few hour tape delay but was taped "as live" scheduled for 10pm so, even with having nearly an hour between the end of Bamma and start of Bellator, they still waited til 10pm for the intro video etc for Bellator and previewed fights with the announcers in the arena for the TV portion of the show. It was odd being live as there was an hour between fights but that's how they had it set up. A fair portion of the crowd left before the main event as it was a long night and was the Friday before Christmas so people were probably heading out etc, depending on the state by that stage! This was known to the arena beforehand as a staff member told me at the start the bar would be open until 11:30pm with the show scheduled to finish at midnight. I think it went til around ten past by the time everything was done (decision if I remember correctly). Anyway, maybe they'll tape delay the fights for TV this time but they have done it previously.
Thanks from:
20-09-2019, 06:22   #3443
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc1 View Post
Wow. 13-9 and coming off a loss. They found nothing but the best for Discount Conor. Discount Conor won't make the same money as Conor while fighting nothing but cans and gimme fights.
Out of curiosity, what record would his opponents to have?

No idea who Salazar is. Anywhere that I can bet on him missing weight?
20-09-2019, 06:36   #3444
Beersmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellor View Post

No idea who Salazar is. Anywhere that I can bet on him missing weight?
Its catch weight
Advertisement
20-09-2019, 13:33   #3445
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beersmith View Post
Its catch weight
I know. 140lbs
I think he misses weight
20-09-2019, 22:24   #3446
iebamm2580

Cant say i know much if anything about the technicals of mma but is gallagher not too feather fisted to make any impact on the world stage, his fights are also incredibly boring to watch again maybe due to my lack of knowledge.
20-09-2019, 22:48   #3447

Quote:
Someone on a winning streak atleast. Time for Discount Conor to earn his main event push.
21-09-2019, 08:12   #3448
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc1 View Post
Someone on a winning streak atleast. Time for Discount Conor to earn his main event push.
Agree a win would be better for hyping a main event. But I was asking about record generally. What kinda guys do you (or anyone) expect Gallagher to be fighting - if Belator weren’t into their nonsense.
21-09-2019, 08:17   #3449
Subcomandante Marcos

Quote:
Agree a win would be better for hyping a main event. But I was asking about record generally. What kinda guys do you (or anyone) expect Gallagher to be fighting - if Belator weren’t into their nonsense.
For the push they're giving him, 10 fights deep on a pro career, he should be fighting ranked guys or they should stop the hype job.
Thanks from:
21-09-2019, 10:27   #3450
Mellor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subcomandante Marcos View Post
For the push they're giving him, 10 fights deep on a pro career, he should be fighting ranked guys or they should stop the hype job.
He's 10 fights deep as you said. He should be fighting guys with similar or slightly more experience imo. Belator isn't the deepest talent pool though.

They definitely shouldn't be hyping him like they are. But that's not really relevant to my question. And the solution is to stop hyping him, not feed him to Horiguchi.
As flakey as the UFC rankings are. Something similar would clear up the mess of Belators match making

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion