Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mixing advice for Beginner DJ's

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭clayton1

Zascar wrote: »

Ta for that. I forget from time to time, the volume of information widely available both on google and youtube

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 darrens13

There's some great advise in this thread, thank you:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DJ Equipment

thank you for your advice

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭dubsbhoy

I run a DJ Programme for young people and i usually start them off with a few tracks i made up that are just made up of percussion loops, when I'm back in work on Monday i'll upload them if you want to throw them into the first post, may be useful for absolute beginners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 juan 79

Maybe it's just the way mixing is thought nowadays but so much emphasis is put on counting bars/phrases,...not in my day Yeah obviously you were told of the 4/4 beat construction of a track,intro outro bassline kicking in etc,but back then there was more leeway mixing tracks ie mixing the intro into the outro of the second track,it was more what sounded right and "organic" and what your own preference was.
    Suppose nowadays everything is scrutinised to the n-th degree.

One big mistake I seen dj's doing when syncing tracks- 2 tracks nearly beatmatched and then suddenly one beat slightly unmatches-to comppensate this dj's often speed up/slow down the relevant track by slowing the platter/twiddling the spindle(vinyl decks) and while it has the desired effect of syncing beats,what the mistake is you should adjust the pitch when touching the spindle/platter instead of not going near the pitch. When manually adjusting track tempo you are only doing it for what 1-2 beats and if you dont adjust the pitch according the beatmatch will break again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Fantasic thread,well done Zascar et al , im an oldskooler (or old fart ) using vinyl (and only ever will) , i dont subscribe to the whole "cant teach an old dog new tricks" train of thought,your always learning, I was just wondering does the advice given here apply to all types ie. Vinyl , CD & Virtual DJ's or are certain pointers directed at a certain type? Maybe it would be an Idea for anyone putting up advice to headline it as "Vinyl", "CD" , "Virtual" or "All"

Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for starting the thread and thanks to all who have taken time to post up pointers n tips.

My advice to youngbloods,intermediates : Practice & Enjoy and never think you know it all just coz things are starting to go together well,give yourself a new challenge the better you get.

Here's a useful link for the practising Vinyl & CD DJ's following this thread
    http://www.youtube.com/user/ellaskins?feature=chclk

Keep on keeping on!!!

Rgds
    G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

Hows it going lads,

Looking to get into djing , really like the idea of using a laptop and all that wont have to worry about dragging cd's and vinyls around etc . . .

What do i need to buy to start off looking for a cheap set to start off with e.g mixers , sound cards , head phones , mayb programmes for laptops hav started messing around with VirtualDJ home edition

P.S no links please , would rather somebody tell me whats best

Thanks for future replys lads , and might see you'se all in the mixing forums

Jay :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭ianuss

no scope wrote: »
    Hows it going lads,

Looking to get into djing , really like the idea of using a laptop and all that wont have to worry about dragging cd's and vinyls around etc . . .

What do i need to buy to start off looking for a cheap set to start off with e.g mixers , sound cards , head phones , mayb programmes for laptops hav started messing around with VirtualDJ home edition

There's already a thread on the topic. Obviously there have been some new additions to the list that aren't mentioned in it but you should get a good idea from sifting through this........

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055703778&highlight=controller

Probably best to have a read first and then post any questions you may have in that thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

Hows it going lads,

If thats the way you want to go I'd suggest grabbing yourself one of these,made with VDJ's in mind

http://adverts.ie/344604
    8cbaed518a2b0a92f081df90dd1bc40a9be0e5854c6408b1066c661734eccaf7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭YOP1992

Hows it going lads,

http://adverts.ie/305798

I'm selling this at the minute, its a quality controller and a couple of lads on the forum use one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭ThirdMan

Any ideas for how to 'mask' a shift in tempo. For example, I want to move from a 100 bpm track to a 125 bpm track. Intros/outros are an obvious area, but has anyone got a specific technique?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

Well, because the 2 bpms's are a good range apart, in my opinion it would be hard to 'mask' that type of shift,

this is what "I" would do, im sure there many that would do different.

i would first make it 126 bpm rather than 125, because if you half 126 its a nice even number of 63bpm as opposed to 62 and 1/2 if it was 125bpm,and bpm counters on pioneer mixers etc, dont seems to show or read half bpms.

so im playing my track at 100bpm, and then i would wind it down and down really slow, below 100bpm and then slowly bring the speed up and up till it gets to 63 bpm, then double that makes 126, so since its nice and even it will fit lovely over the other bpm, and makes a more of a impressive transition.

thats just a neater way out of it my opinion. ive done this before playing breakbeat or even reggae and mixing in other 4x4 stuff into it. works very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Yeah if it's dj'ing you mean, then dropping to half-speed is nice. You're making the pitch adjustment to the SLOWER deck (the one that's already playing) though, so you gotta do it right or it'll be a mess. If your pitch slider wont bring it down far enough, cut the power and rotate by hand at the half-speed. If thats no good, find some interim tracks and build your way there bit by bit.

Or get a pitch correction device maybe.

But tbh if your music style permits/augments it....thats what scratching's for...to drop the new track.

Or cut, vocal sample, drop

100-125 will never sound like a seamless mix, so get creative.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gonna try that half trick for a laugh later. Nice one lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭electrogrimey

That half trick is good because you're slowing down the playing track, and then dropping in the other track at full speed, so you shouldn't lose much energy, which is always the problem with tempo shifts.

It won't really work the other way though, because speeding up a track loads and then dropping a half speed track is gonna sound pretty bad.

You could do it the gangster way, and just do a mega spinback, then drop a few gunshot/airhorn samples, and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tsoparno

i tip i can offer you need to know your tracks inside out and upside down found this easy with vinyl cause i used only buy 7 or 8 records a wk and play them to death for a wk.but now peoples mp3 libarys r so big you'll probably never really get to know all your tracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

I was ages trying to get beatmatching down.

Out of frustration, I ditched the earphones, and played both decks (not bothering with cueing or 4/4 matching) and gave myself plenty of time to match the beats.

Helped no end!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Can anybody give me some advice on some fairly decent speakers that would do for small house parties etc? Been bedroom DJ'ing for a while now and want to start making some money :P

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Lukebray wrote: »
    Can anybody give me some advice on some fairly decent speakers that would do for small house parties etc? Been bedroom DJ'ing for a while now and want to start making some money :P
    I doubt you'll make much (if any) money from doing house parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

Hi I am having problems with the sound coming from my 1210s since i bought this new mixer
    2hckhzr.jpg
    THe problem i am having is when i move the crossfader to channel 1 most(80%) of the sound just comes from the left speaker, but when I move the fader to channel 2 i get most of the sound from the right speaker

I did have the same problem too when I had the old mixer which was
    2itm0wh.jpg

But when i had the vestax mixer I just put the red wire in phono and the black wire in line(I no, doesnt make sense). I run the sound through my Technics hi-fi system but i really do not think that is the problem.I also had a problem with 1 deck but got that sorted a good few weeks before i bought the mixer

I am new to all this so i am not sure if i am doing something wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hi I am having problems with the sound coming from my 1210s since i bought this new mixer
    2hckhzr.jpg
    THe problem i am having is when i move the crossfader to channel 1 most(80%) of the sound just comes from the left speaker, but when I move the fader to channel 2 i get most of the sound from the right speaker

I did have the same problem too when I had the old mixer which was
    2itm0wh.jpg

But when i had the vestax mixer I just put the red wire in phono and the black wire in line(I no, doesnt make sense). I run the sound through my Technics hi-fi system but i really do not think that is the problem.I also had a problem with 1 deck but got that sorted a good few weeks before i bought the mixer

I am new to all this so i am not sure if i am doing something wrong.

What way exactly are you connecting to your mixer?

You should have your Deck #1 connections Red & White(or Black in some cases) connected to CH1 Phono to the corresponding colours, and Deck #2 connections to CH2 Phono to the corresponding colours. That should be your starting point at the very least.

M101USB_back_media.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

If the problem has followed into the new mixer, and if you do bazmos' checks, and if your phono/line selectors are set to phono, its probably an issue with your rca cables.

Niall in aquarius will fit new ones (you're as well off to get new earths at the same time) for about 40 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Thecon21

Lukebray wrote: »

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/Products/Product/tabid/78/PID/166/CID/171/language/en-GB/Default.aspx

The Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 monitors are great value for the sound you get out of them. Good price for the quality of them and would be perfect for that kind of thing I reckon..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 57 ✭✭denver62002

Cant stress that enough when im teaching people! It takes serious practice before you become comfortable with beatmatching.

For the extreme beginners id advise them to get two identical tracks and repeatly beatmatch them. The two tracks will be the same BPM so it will be very easy after a few goes then pick a different track and try that. Learn what BPM means and learn how to count bars and phrases,
    1234 2234 3234 4234

Keep off effects and eq's untill you can beatmatch properly.

Sean

Does the newer versions of cdj's have auto beatmaching/sync??

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Hamiltonion

Does the newer versions of cdj's have auto beatmaching/sync??

They won't beatmatch for you but they do give a reading of BPM (Which is pretty accurate - I've checked my entire wallet on Traktor and CDJ)

Software will beatmatch for you, I'm not going to get into whether or not this is cheating / a bad thing / a good thing / gives you more time to do creative things with your mixing etc etc but I will say if I was playing out and didn't have to beatmatch I'd be bored, plus knowing how to beatmatch teaches you when you can break the rules and clash beats etc. I tried Traktor for a good while and it really took the fun out of DJing for me.

It's not all that hard, check BPM of track playing, cue your next track to the 1st beat of the bar where you wanna mix in, adjust the tempo to match, count in and hit play on the beat, adjust with jogwheel, bring up the faders

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Not sure if its been said before but, generally a dance track will "do-something" every 32 beats.

Try it. Next time your listening to a track count the first beat of the intro. Usually on the 32nd beat a new element will drop in, like high hats etc.

As the song comes to its climax the elements start dropping out one by one. This is a good time to start a mix and bring in a new element from another track one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭cloudydsound

Cant stress that enough when im teaching people! It takes serious practice before you become comfortable with beatmatching.

For the extreme beginners id advise them to get two identical tracks and repeatly beatmatch them. The two tracks will be the same BPM so it will be very easy after a few goes then pick a different track and try that. Learn what BPM means and learn how to count bars and phrases,
    1234 2234 3234 4234

Keep off effects and eq's untill you can beatmatch properly.

Sean

i found beatmatching simple from the start, i'm not bragging, i'm just saying some people have an ear for it and get it straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭slpower01

A few bits of advice ..... first is a book I have and also heard good things about it from other forums, it is called "how to dj (properly) from Frank Broughton and Bill Brewster" basically has information about everything from setting up, to dealing with contracts when playing down to how to make remixes etc.

Something I have found is 10 great songs that you know INSIDE OUT is better then 100 songs you have heard twice but think you know them really well.... GET TO KNOW YOUR MUSIC PROPERLY.

FX work best when people don't really know they are being used subtlety is key... nothing like a massive flanger or phaser full volume to ruin a half decent mix. Fx are there to add elements to your music, not to drown it out.

Samples should be used the same as FX... subtle... nothing like an airhorn or siren to let people know you have only been mixing 6 weeks using virtual dj.

Try and learn the roots of djing and see if you can get a go on some turntables so that you can really appreciate the art form it used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 MickOLeary

Great advice. 100 percent start with house music if your a beginner. Get your hands on 2 tracks around 120 beats per min. I found it much easier to grasp mixing on slightly slower house tracks. Avoid heavy electro, Trap and Dubstep to begin to learn to mix even if thats what your into!

Advertisement