Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Snooker YouTube Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Fascinating one Davis v Hendry 1989 World Championship SF

Could see Hendry was almost ready and Davis' battle hardened experience the only difference.

Clash of styles and generations.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

On the Davis v Thorne 85 UK final, people slag off the BBC coverage today.

But in this UK final at the very height of the snooker boom, 6 months on from the black ball final, in the second tournament on the circuit, the BBC didn't show the final session live!

Also check out the closing montage 'That's what friends are for'. Quite a cheesey number. As middle of the road as one of David Vine's sweaters.

John Higgins 147 (His 11th as of October 2020)

Steve Davis "playing snooker" on Canon and Ball in the 1980's

Saw this interesting video about Nick Pearce back in the 1990's

Never heard of him myself even beat Ronnie O'Sullivan when he was ranked no3.

Short documentary on him.

Was still on the go in 2016 when he won the Paul Hunter Memorial tournament.

• Advertisement

Benson and Hedges Masters Documentary (1999) - on 25th Anniversary of the tournament

History of snooker part 1

From Joe Davis in the early days - 1989 World Championship

History of snooker part 2

1990 - 2003 World Championship

Shaun (adopted Irishman) Murphy - 147 German Masters (his 6th Max as of November 2020)

Kyren Wilson's 147 (November 2020 UK Championship)

Stuart Bingham 147 (November 2020) UK Championship

• Advertisement

"Ronnie The Joy of Six" 2020 - Ronnie O'Sullivan in an interview with Colin Murray on Eurosport. All about his reflections and thought processes during each of his World title wins.

He seemed really open and relaxed in the interview. And gave a great insight how his mind works.

This one is a bit of fun. Referee's from the 1995 World Championship. David Vine presenting.

The challenge was for them to get the snooker ball/cue ball to land on the baulk line as close as possible. Disqualified if they hit the baulk cushion. They all have two goes.

World Snooker Championship 1995 - The Referees Challenge

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

This one is a bit of fun. Referee's from the 1995 World Championship. David Vine presenting.

The challenge was for them to get the snooker ball/cue ball to land on the baulk line as close as possible. Disqualified if they hit the baulk cushion. They all have two goes.

World Snooker Championship 1995 - The Referees Challenge

Nice one. Little tear in my eye watching a relatively nimble looking Len Ganley there. Legend of the game and all round lovely man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭dball

How Hendry changed snooker:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I watch the channel a lot... he's entertaining enough... love the recreation attempts he does.

Muppet Man wrote: »
    I watch the channel a lot... he's entertaining enough... love the recreation attempts he does.

Yeah, gives the mere mortal an idea of how difficult a shot was. Good tips as well.

This is worth a look... Fastest clearance attempt - wonder what could Ronnie do. Very little room for improvement.

Here is a fantastic analysis of Ronnie O'Sullivan's cue action. It has no back pause and is like a circular piston apparently. Also does not try to hit the ball in the centre always deliberately puts a small trace of side on each shot.

Must have taken this fella ages to analyse it.

Here is a fantastic analysis of Ronnie O'Sullivan's cue action. It has no back pause and is like a circular piston apparently. Also does not try to hit the ball in the centre always deliberately puts a small trace of side on each shot.

Must have taken this fella ages to analyse it.

Fascinating stuff. Ronnies "piston" action is certainly very noticeable, not something i dont think you can teach out of a manual.

I love that type of analysis. I'd love to see him do judds and how it developed because judd definitely did not have his current cue action as a junior. Also, I'm convinced Bingham actually rotates the butt of the cue as he pushes through the shot which would seem a very unusual thing to do but it seems to me what he does. No two actions are the same, like golf swings, what makes it so interesting.

• Advertisement

Also, the bit about it being impossible to strike the cue ball absolutely dead centre every time is interesting given how Steve Davis could famously spend hours just playing the cue ball up and down the baulk line in an effort to achieve exactly that.

Its a great channel to be fair. He did a piece on Alex Higgins which was excellent where he ended up not being able to reproduce one of his shots - a brown into the yellow pocket with screw the length of the table off two cushions.

Muppet Man wrote: »
    Its a great channel to be fair. He did a piece on Alex Higgins which was excellent where he ended up not being able to reproduce one of his shots - a brown into the yellow pocket with screw the length of the table off two cushions.

He is very good alright, must get around to watching more of it. Have seen a few "accidents" with cloths over the years from lads trying to recreate Alex Higgins' specials.

This isnt too shabby for a 10 year old. I'm even more impressed by the fact Ukraine has a national snooker academy.

https://twitter.com/BoikoIulian/status/1362418195253104641?s=20

This isnt too shabby for a 10 year old. I'm even more impressed by the fact Ukraine has a national snooker academy.

https://twitter.com/BoikoIulian/status/1362418195253104641?s=20

Young fella seems like a very small 10 year old as well. His height and strength made a lot of the shots extra difficult. Liked his enthusiasm ready to play the next shot. And how he stopped and thought when needed. Will be interesting to see how he does. Lovely to see the celebration with his coach and his dad at the end as well.

Goffs Irish Masters 1989 SF Davis v Hendry

Davis world no1 and Hendry world no4.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Goffs Irish Masters 1989 SF Davis v Hendry

Davis world no1 and Hendry world no4.

What a venue. Why can't we have it again?

I remember Davis referring to Goffs as his "second favourite venue" after the crucible. It was/is a fantastic venue for snooker. I know they've put seniors stuff on there recently, one thing i miss from the old days are the national championships. They were great tournaments in all the home nations. A reborn irish pro champs with allen, brown, hill, fergal, ken etc played at goffs would be brilliant. But alas, i dont think there's room for it way things are set up now.

The Nal wrote: »
    What a venue. Why can't we have it again?
    I remember Davis referring to Goffs as his "second favourite venue" after the crucible. It was/is a fantastic venue for snooker. I know they've put seniors stuff on there recently, one thing i miss from the old days are the national championships. They were great tournaments in all the home nations. A reborn irish pro champs with allen, brown, hill, fergal, ken etc played at goffs would be brilliant. But alas, i dont think there's room for it way things are set up now.

Yeah it was a great tournament - just before the world championship and everything. I think Ronnie mentioned he used to like Goffs as well.

I always feel the talking up of Sheffield/Crucible etc is always more 'tradition' based rather than quality of venue. Shame how it was given a slow death. Basically ripping the heart out of Irish snooker. Would not have happened a prestigious tournament in England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Yeah it was a great tournament - just before the world championship and everything. I think Ronnie mentioned he used to like Goffs as well.

I always feel the talking up of Sheffield/Crucible etc is always more 'tradition' based rather than quality of venue. Shame how it was given a slow death. Basically ripping the heart out of Irish snooker. Would not have happened a prestigious tournament in England.

Wasnt just Ronnie I think a lot of them said it was their 2nd favourite. Hendry aswell. I remember Hearn talking up the possibility of it again a few years back.

Edit yeah he did

https://twitter.com/shendry775/status/1151936836513783808

Advertisement