Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Depending on the battery type if it gets discharged too much there is no way back from the flat state no matter what you do.

Yep , it was beyond charging. It wasn't even registering with one of the chargers .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

These so-called "smart" chargers need a minimum voltage level to charge.
    So you could have a battery which can be recovered, but the "smart" charger refuses to charge it (unless it has a sulphated battery recovery mode)

Otherwise you're better off with a good old fashioned transformer-based dumb charger in this scenario

I'm sure someone mentioned here before about connecting a 6V sealed lead acid battery they had lying around in series with their bike battery. This brought the voltage up enough to convince the "smart" charger to start doing its bloody job :) and after a while they could disconnect the 6V battery

Life ain't always empty.

These so-called "smart" chargers need a minimum voltage level to charge.
    So you could have a battery which can be recovered, but the "smart" charger refuses to charge it (unless it has a sulphated battery recovery mode)

Otherwise you're better off with a good old fashioned transformer-based dumb charger in this scenario

I'm sure someone mentioned here before about connecting a 6V sealed lead acid battery they had lying around in series with their bike battery. This brought the voltage up enough to convince the "smart" charger to start doing its bloody job :) and after a while they could disconnect the 6V battery

We have a couple of "smart chargers" , they did nothing. Then I connected it up to old faithful, my 12 year old Saito charger. It was left on overnight and nothing.

Herself picked up a new battery from Battery World and it'll be dropped into the bike this weekend. The R Nine T is up for sale at the moment because she doesn't use it.

I can offer four grand, cash *spits on hand* :pac:

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I can offer four grand, cash *spits on hand* :pac:

I can drive it for free and wash it. I can return it each weekend.

free wash, whats not to like.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    I can drive it for free and wash it. I can return it each weekend.

free wash, whats not to like.

If it was washed anymore there'd be no paint on the tank

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2016-bmw-r-nine-t/22527837

oooh wait :pac:

We reduced it to a paltry €9500 for a week only then its being traded in against a new HD Nightster 1200. Which would be better suited to sit in the garage gathering dust :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭H_Lime

D3V!L wrote: »
    If it was washed anymore there'd be no paint on the tank

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/2016-bmw-r-nine-t/22527837

oooh wait :pac:

We reduced it to a paltry €9500 for a week only then its being traded in against a new HD Nightster 1200. Which would be better suited to sit in the garage gathering dust :P

Absolutely no offence intended (folks never say that truthfully!:)) and I'm neither a beemer nor harley fan..... but thats ten times the bike of a harley nightser. Head examination time!:eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Why buy another new machine when the other was barely used? Just get something half decent to have there in case she wants a spin...

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Why buy another new machine when the other was barely used? Just get something half decent to have there in case she wants a spin...

Yeah you tell me wife that ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭batman_oh

Not today but the following done to the 1290 just before the first service (Akra map installed along with it). Removing the SAS and EVAP emissions systems was a bit of a ball ache - so much crap!

48519398601_b0ee0fc158_k.jpgUntitled by , on Flickr
    48519399881_29f8222719_k.jpgUntitled by , on Flickr
    48519581657_396134d0dc_k.jpgUntitled by , on Flickr
    48519582522_7e2f881698_k.jpgUntitled by , on Flickr
    48705047298_73594a5c57_b.jpgUntitled by , on Flickr

• Advertisement

Sorry about the late photo. Here's whats involved in changing a battery on an R Nine T.

490236.jpg

I'm going to start charging labor time soon :rolleyes:

That's insane.

Life ain't always empty.

batman_oh wrote: »
    Not today but the following done to the 1290 just before the first service (Akra map installed along with it). Removing the SAS and EVAP emissions systems was a bit of a ball ache - so much crap!
    48519563612_c4beeeca9f_k.jpgUntitled by , on Flickr
    48519398601_b0ee0fc158_k.jpgUntitled by , on Flickr
    48519399881_29f8222719_k.jpgUntitled by , on Flickr
    48519581657_396134d0dc_k.jpgUntitled by , on Flickr
    48519582522_7e2f881698_k.jpgUntitled by , on Flickr
    48705047298_73594a5c57_b.jpgUntitled by , on Flickr

Beautiful system. Why did the shock have to come out, block header bolts?
    What weight saving was there over standard? Prob makes a whack load more now, be nice to see before and after dyno charts? It always surprised me how more refined a custom map was over a generic one, esp off small openings from a neutral throttle. Will you bother or is it job done?
    Edit: ahhh i see why the shock came out now lol! Wp aint bad!, can the gold one be felt as an improvement?

Sorry about the late photo. Here's whats involved in changing a battery on an R Nine T.

490236.jpg

I'm going to start charging labor time soon :rolleyes:

Theres a reason to sell right there;)
    Thats mad, even for a beemer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭batman_oh

H_Lime wrote: »
    Beautiful system. Why did the shock have to come out, block header bolts?
    What weight saving was there over standard? Prob makes a whack load more now, be nice to see before and after dyno charts? It always surprised me how more refined a custom map was over a generic one, esp off small openings from a neutral throttle. Will you bother or is it job done?
    Edit: ahhh i see why the shock came out now lol! Wp aint bad!, can the gold one be felt as an improvement?

I think the weight saving is about 6kg in total, it's noticeable enough but the main difference is that the bike runs the way it was supposed to really. As standard it fuels great and all, but it is severely muted power wise. I didn't bother dynoing, but with the map, air filter and system you pick up around 20bhp in most of the rev range and something in the region of 10-15 at the top. The throttle response is far crisper and the whole engine just feels completely different. Had it on the last Superduke I had too and had ridden it back to back with a stock one and they are two different bikes.

The shock I added to the 2015 one I had. The WP is decent. I just found I couldn't find the perfect set up for all of my use. I was looking for something nice and compliant at normal speeds, that absorbs bumps when going slow and gives you comfort, but also controls the bike when you start messing. I had to run the WP one quite stiff and it took away from the normal speed manners. The rebound damping seemed to be the main issue - it just felt like it was skipping along the surface the whole time but if you backed it off it got wallowy on the fast stuff. It worked fine - but the Ohlins lets me have the plush feel over bumps at all speeds and it works great when you start messing too.

Lots of money but i'll have it for a few years and I like to get things working as well as I can for what I do be doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

far more modest here, but fitted a Tutoro chain oiler to my CRF1000. PITA tbh, as there is zero - and I mean zero - room on the bike to mount anything.

490274.png

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 33,570 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You need to prime that, the pipes empty

:p

I really want one of them Galwaytt as i dig the way it works, no contact required. Currently use the old twisty knob one they had but the price on them new ones is like a hundred quid or sommein mad iirc!! Aint paying that. Is there a knock off out yet?

Shame, for shame...i know.

I think the weight saving is about 6kg in total, it's noticeable enough but the main difference is that the bike runs the way it was supposed to really. As standard it fuels great and all, but it is severely muted power wise. I didn't bother dynoing, but with the map, air filter and system you pick up around 20bhp in most of the rev range and something in the region of 10-15 at the top. The throttle response is far crisper and the whole engine just feels completely different. Had it on the last Superduke I had too and had ridden it back to back with a stock one and they are two different bikes.

The shock I added to the 2015 one I had. The WP is decent. I just found I couldn't find the perfect set up for all of my use. I was looking for something nice and compliant at normal speeds, that absorbs bumps when going slow and gives you comfort, but also controls the bike when you start messing. I had to run the WP one quite stiff and it took away from the normal speed manners. The rebound damping seemed to be the main issue - it just felt like it was skipping along the surface the whole time but if you backed it off it got wallowy on the fast stuff. It worked fine - but the Ohlins lets me have the plush feel over bumps at all speeds and it works great when you start messing too.

Lots of money but i'll have it for a few years and I like to get things working as well as I can for what I do be doing!

Sounds like you need seperate hi and low speed rebound damping adjustements from what I'm reading. You want yer cake and eat it too ha! Good on ya. After all we do but live once and harsh rebound damping can ruin a fellas day;) Not sure if yer ttx comes with that but i believe they run individual circuits for reb/comp and tend to be more compliant. Less oily frothy action when you boogie! No cavitation for you. They are glorious pieces of engineering to behold.
    When i was down in jogs dynoing my not for the fainhearted goes like THE train 40hp beast i was amazeballed looking a 2d chassis mapping potentiometer set up on a blade race bikes swinger. Imagine being able to see your shocks extention on corner exits over le gap represented as a curve on and xy graph. By jaysus the breakfast would be mighty fun comparing ones low speed reboundy tendencies to the next fellas! Suspension strava:pac:

Can your ecu be mapped ala tekka suzuk/tune edit and so on? Gary in motowhatsitcalled could deffo fine tune your fine tunin i reckon. Worth the entrance fee. She'll kiss you and tuck you in before bed if you do;) Happy bike happy life afterall.

listermint wrote: »
    You need to prime that, the pipes empty

:p

....lolz: never had this issue on my H-D (runs for cover...)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

I really want one of them Galwaytt as i dig the way it works, no contact required. Currently use the old twisty knob one they had but the price on them new ones is like a hundred quid or sommein mad iirc!! Aint paying that. Is there a knock off out yet?

Shame, for shame...i know.

Given the price of a new O-ring chain and a set of sprockets, not to mention the bike, I don't think it's expensive. Besides, if you ever change your bike, just take it off and put it on your new one. In which case you could get 15+ years out of it. It's hardly expensive then....

As for a 'knock-off', well, a 'knock-off' may perform like a knock-off as well, in which case just stick to the can of chain lube....

Ode To The Motorist

I removed the Tour Pak from my Ultra Limited with the help of my missus yesterday (it's f*cking heavy), fitted a solo seat and some new slightly forward footboards. It gives me two extra inches of room.

Also without all the extra weight the bike is a lot more "flighty". :D Next step is a full exhaust, more air flow and a tuner.

490813.jpg

490814.jpg

I removed the Tour Pak from my Ultra Limited with the help of my missus yesterday (it's f*cking heavy), fitted a solo seat and some new slightly forward footboards. It gives me two extra inches of room.

Also without all the extra weight the bike is a lot more "flighty". :D Next step is a full exhaust, more air flow and a tuner.

490813.jpg

490814.jpg

Lookin very genick diablo very genick indeed. Where does one bring a bike such as this to be tuned and with what?
    Spoke to fella once who was something of an expert on making them handle. Well by "them" I mean the ones with damper rod forks. Does yours run a cartridge or is she a good old fashioned plunger?
    If sge runs the latter have a search for "intiminator". A smart product with a stupid name, which I told him:)

Lookin very genick diablo very genick indeed. Where does one bring a bike such as this to be tuned and with what?
    Spoke to fella once who was something of an expert on making them handle. Well by "them" I mean the ones with damper rod forks. Does yours run a cartridge or is she a good old fashioned plunger?
    If sge runs the latter have a search for "intiminator". A smart product with a stupid name, which I told him:)

I'm tuning it myself with a Vance & Hines FP3. Fantastic piece of kit. Its a late 2017 bike so has fairly modern cartridge system.

Whats the FP3, a harley pc3? Does that bike have a lambda exhaust sensor?

Now for some old n dirty stuff:)
    DSCN4456.jpg

DSCN4451.jpg
    Yeah....lol.

DSCN4455.jpg
    Whoever tightened these was on the roids.

DSCN4467.jpg
    Ewwww, hes using car oil:eek:

DSCN4478.jpg
    Bag of engine oil left overnight on cable opening= happy throttle cable.

DSCN4462.jpg
    DSCN4464.jpg
    Fixed the blow with the collet but the exhausts shagged. They rusted like a disprin dropped in coke at the sight of water from new. New non oem replacement on the way. Things a boat anchor but had good back pressure...

20190915-180227.jpg
    Relay replaced and now I've indys!

20190921-171802.jpg
    Loads more done and loads more to do. Great fun!:D

More messing with red...:)

20190928-113927.jpg
    Too loud, even with db killer. Fitted another in the link just to see and no joy.
    Volumes small for a large displacement single imo, yoke has no back pressure. Leaned out the low and part throttle majorly, she was very sharp and barky sounding, and you can kinda smell it. You dont want to run these lean;)

So what do i want? Slightly more throat than oem, back pressure so no straight throughs, lighter weight, no corrosion and no repacking...

20190928-121451.jpg
    Gen 1 busa on the l, k1 gixer thou on r. 3 and 4 bolt flange respectively.
    Popular mod in the dr and klr 650 worlds. They have on the shelf "midpipe" options you can buy aftermarket to accommodate but not so on this lesser spotted yoke.

IMG-20190915-081534-1.jpg
    Back from my the freindly machinist.
    Will take the dominator link pipe (47.5mm od, 1.5 wall stainless 304) arrive at and mark up the alignment and have it tigged into the flange's 49mm opening. Make a relocating bracket for the hanger and see where the jetting is. Much fun pulling BST33's in and out of her. Probably up the mains a touch.

Once the exhausts sorted I'm eyeing up transplanting a four pot calioer on to replace the weak brake and pray two pot slider. Would appreciate advice from any machinist present? 6082 t6 is what i think ill use and if i can buy it flat faced in the width i need i think i can do this myself....maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭ Cayden Defeated Thunderstorm

Where does one bring a bike such as this to be tuned

I believe he recommends Mr Duffy's in Finglas :P

I believe he recommends Mr Duffy's in Finglas :P

It turned out to be too complex for their mechanics

monkey-scratching-head-300x226.jpg

So I'm using a Vance & Hines FP3 with has custom maps and then running an autotune feature in it. So far fantastic results.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 scsei

Any tips on removing bar ends to put on mirrors? Have a Royal Alloy scooter and tried taking them off last night, with all the proper tools but they still would not budge. Will spraying some WD40 loosen them up, anyone have any experience with it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

scsei wrote: »
    Any tips on removing bar ends to put on mirrors? Have a Royal Alloy scooter and tried taking them off last night, with all the proper tools but they still would not budge. Will spraying some WD40 loosen them up, anyone have any experience with it?

Assuming it's the metal spreadable clamp type:
    Replace the bolt loosely, just a few turns in. Then tap the bolt firmly with a hammer. Should dislodge the olive in the clamp. (Protect surface from hammer with a rag or piece of plastic)

If it's the rubber bung type: (unlikely I'm guessing)
    Loosen the bolt, don't remove. Twist the bar end.

Advertisement