Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

VinLieger wrote: »
    This is a fcuking joke i cannot believe this farce of a situation, they are actually using ITVs commentary, sooner RTE is gone the better

I think it’s the World Rugby Feed as that’s the BBC commentator.

(When you buy the rights to broadcast an international tournament like this, you don’t just get the live TV feed, you also get a commentary food. Most broadcasters won’t use the commentary feed as they will have their own commentary team in place)

But this is RTÉ, and it’s not like they don’t have experience of broadcasting alive tournament from Japan!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,497 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

RTE is also a load of gash, the only difference being we have to pay for it.

No you don't.

If they get rid of RTE and 2fm and slash top presenters wages I will reconsider my position.

So if they got rid of RTE you would reconsider your position. :confused:

Again you can get rid of RTE yourself, it's not that hard and then you won't have to have a position.

It would also help if they stopped being a mouthpiece for the government and any other fad that happens to be in fashion this week.

Fidget Spinners?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ah we are back with the RTÉ commentary with about a 5 second delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,497 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Ah we are back with the RTÉ commentary with about a 5 second delay.

IT's fine here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

RTE is also a load of gash, the only difference being we have to pay for it.

There is no way RTE can look down its nose at Virgin or any other station- their schedule on RTE 2 is bottom of the barrel stuff and absolutely not serving a public service in any way. RTE 1 only slightly better.

If they get rid of RTE and 2fm and slash top presenters wages I will reconsider my position. It would also help if they stopped being a mouthpiece for the government and any other fad that happens to be in fashion this week.

yeah. it should absolutely become a mouthpiece that only tells part of the population what they want to hear and only gives information that aligns with their views. rather then the impartial fact based broadcaster it currently is . no thanks, turn over to sky news or somewhere else for that.
    Oh I remember it well when we had to turn over to sky news to find out the Imf were in town while our lads were waiting for a pr statement to tell them what to say from the gombeen government of the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    RTÉ most valuable asset is the land it is on, purpose built or not it is probably holding them back more than anything.

It would be interesting to see how much they spend trying to retrofit the current space compare to what it would cost to build an up to date space outside the city centre in a larger location. If they sold the whole lot and built plus the budget they pump in each year to update I would expect you would see saving

Look at the likes of BOI/AIB etc who have all pulled city centre based locations and moved to new offices outside the city centre which gives them an up to date space

They ain’t doing it to cost them money

BOI and AIB have plenty of Dublin city centre offices. AIB took space on Molesworth Street in a brand new office beside The Ivy just this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Cash-strapped RTE flies advertising executives to Japan for World Cup game

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/cashstrapped-rte-flies-advertising-executives-to-japan-for-world-cup-game-38521267.html

Brilliant. There are some industries in which this type of behaviour is illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

McGaggs wrote: »
    Cash-strapped RTE flies advertising executives to Japan for World Cup game

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/cashstrapped-rte-flies-advertising-executives-to-japan-for-world-cup-game-38521267.html

Brilliant. There are some industries in which this type of behaviour is illegal.

Marian read out a ‘statement’ on this today.

And there’s The Dufficer always railing agains ‘statements’

“Whoooy do these people not come on ayer and not be hoiiding behind statements”

Let’s hope someone comes up with ‘Japan’ when he tosses out that shoooite again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,962 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would listen to Rte radio a fair bit during the day.

They really are going overboard with their adverts for the licence. It must be on nearly every ad break. And then there is the other Rte ads as well.

If Rte actually sold that advertising space to businesses willing to pay for it, they might not be in so much debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

fritzelly wrote: »
    1.4 million for a few lights, a sofa, a desk and a tv - its the news ffs not GoT

I was quite happy with Dobbo and Sharon behind the desk - far better than the yobbo's they have now

And was it just me-or did Catriona Perry and Keelin Shanley not get along?

Like, they were often not in the studio together, and have been on 'holiday' and maternity leave for months.

I'm wondering if they'll just replace them again-their 'fill-ins' are superior to the supposed full timers.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭ToBeFrank123

exactly, thank you for proving my point of how perceived duplication is not a reason for removing services.

The point of a public service remit is to provide services and content that no other commercial station would provide.

In pre internet days when FM radio was the only show in town, Lyric met this requirement.

But nowadays, it cannot be argued that classical music is not easily accessible. There are at least 10 other classical radio stations available at the touch of a button and thousands of hours on places like YouTube, all for free.

So yes Lyric are duplicating all that, at a cost of 6 million a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The point of a public service remit is to provide services and content that no other commercial station would provide.

In pre internet days when FM radio was the only show in town, Lyric met this requirement.

But nowadays, it cannot be argued that classical music is not easily accessible. There are at least 10 other classical radio stations available at the touch of a button and thousands of hours on places like YouTube, all for free.

how many of those stations support irish culture and irish musicians?

FFS. Lyric doesn't support Irish culture or musicians any more than any other station. It's like saying 2FM support Irish culture and musicians.

Tell me one Irish classical composer who gets regular airplay on Lyric. And if we are paying 6 million a year so he/she can get played the odd time, something is badly wrong.

There are plenty of outlets for Irish composers, such as the National Concert Hall and others.

And here's a suggestion, a classical music hour on RTE radio 1 solely devoted to Irish classical composers and musicians. It could replace some of the endless dross and repetition they have on RTE Radio 1, a channel that has been dumbed down for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,646 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Does Lyric support Irish culture? I never listen to Lyric, so I don't know the answer. The last time, a few years ago, that I stumbled onto lyric they were playing some Ritchie Hawtin (I believe he's Canadian). It was neither classical not irish, but I did enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I didn't really expect RTÉ to spend money for a new AR set for the RWC. It looks quite dark around the desk on the screen. The onscreen graphics though when the players appear on the screen looks good. All of the templates which displays the names of the players & coaches of each team are taken from World Rugby's design guidelines. All of those new studio graphics including the match graphics have to be used by all broadcasters that show the RWC. ITV on the other hand have a much brighter studio with a lot of pink, blue & white for colour. What do people think of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

obviously the pay of the top earners is a scandal, but can you imagine what some of the other deadwood in there, the rte joe soaps behind desks etc are earning?! probably an even bigger scandal!

Idbatterim wrote: »
    obviously the pay of the top earners is a scandal, but can you imagine what some of the other deadwood in there, the rte joe soaps behind desks etc are earning?! probably an even bigger scandal!

Indeed, I have been questioning this for yonks Batther,then you have to look at the wedge the riggers, camera staff, etc are trousering..... overtime, weekend stuff etc..... hmmmm.

I would expect that it’s not small beans, my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Indeed, I have been questioning this for yonks Batther,then you have to look at the wedge the riggers, camera staff, etc are trousering..... overtime, weekend stuff etc..... hmmmm.

I would expect that it’s not small beans, my friend.
    Closed shop too Brendan, rife with nepotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,981 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

yes and that is what rte mostly provide.

it still meets the requirement now.

it can and has been successfully argued that classical music is not as easily accessable via other means as it is via fm. the 10 other classical music stations you keep refering to, along with youtube etc, require extra equipment and a good standard of coverage and signal for listeners to be able to reliably listen to them.
    so, it matters not what lyric might or might not be duplicating given all media duplicates to an extent, and given that online listening is not as reliable and portable at the moment as fm.

shut down alcohol action ireland now! end MUP today!

yes and that is what rte mostly provide.

it still meets the requirement now.

it can and has been successfully argued that classical music is not as easily accessable via other means as it is via fm. the 10 other classical music stations you keep refering to, along with youtube etc, require extra equipment and a good standard of coverage and signal for listeners to be able to reliably listen to them.
    so, it matters not what lyric might or might not be duplicating given all media duplicates to an extent, and given that online listening is not as reliable and portable at the moment as fm.

No they don't. Its been pointed out you can access tunein on your phone, quitely easily, in less time it takes you to get up and turn on your radio.
    No new equipment and no licence fee required. And most of all no 6 million euro needed.
    The irony of you posting on the internet to tell us the internet is not easily accessible is hard to fathom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,195 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No they don't. Its been pointed out you can access tunein on your phone, quitely easily, in less time it takes you to get up and turn on your radio.
    No new equipment and no licence fee required. And most of all no 6 million euro needed.
    The irony of you posting on the internet to tell us the internet is not easily accessible is hard to fathom.

Apples and oranges.
    A mobile phone using mobile data to access the internet is completely different to Fm radio.
    Not saying there is anything wrong with listening on the internet but it is not a substitute in all cases.

not if you have a remote control for your fm radio. and again, a good standard of signal is required for reliable listening to tune in.

data charges may have to be paid depending on your provider. so, that is extra money that ultimately replaces the license fee as far as the consumer is concerned.
    so the 6000000 is needed to provide an fm platform, which is where the majority are listening.

it really isn't hard to fathom at all.
    i''m one of the lucky people that has a good reliable internet signal, which allows me to listen to online radio where i get the type of music i like. i am even able to listen out and about in the car and am in a very lucky position.
    however i also recognize that this is not the case across the board for everyone, that there are plenty of areas where the signal isn't strong enough, or doesn't exist at all. so reliable use of online platforms aren't viable.
    i also recognize and am well aware, as someone who supports online radio and any other platforms that increase listener choice, that fm is the majority platform for radio listening and is the most accessable and portable form of radio listening. you don't have to like it, but it is the reality and it will not be changing anytime soon.

elperello wrote: »

Apples and oranges.
    A mobile phone using mobile data to access the internet is completely different to Fm radio.
    Not saying there is anything wrong with listening on the internet but it is not a substitute in all cases.

Its a substitute in the 95% covered by mobile coverage.

In case people think I'm obsessed with Lyric I'd also shutdown or privatise 2FM, a station which has zero public service remit value. I think most would agree with that.

not if you have a remote control for your fm radio. and again, a good standard of signal is required for reliable listening to tune in.

data charges may have to be paid depending on your provider. so, that is extra money that ultimately replaces the license fee as far as the consumer is concerned.
    so the 6000000 is needed to provide an fm platform, which is where the majority are listening.

i''m one of the lucky people that has a good reliable internet signal, which allows me to listen to online radio where i get the type of music i like. i am even able to listen out and about in the car and am in a very lucky position.
    however i also recognize that this is not the case across the board for everyone, that there are plenty of areas where the signal isn't strong enough, or doesn't exist at all. so reliable use of online platforms aren't viable.
    i also recognize and am well aware, as someone who supports online radio and any other platforms that increase listener choice, that fm is the majority platform for radio listening and is the most accessable and portable form of radio listening. you don't have to like it, but it is the reality and it will not be changing anytime soon.

Well the knife has to fall somewhere when it comes to RTE cuts as they are loss making. Where would you make cuts?

By the way there is no guarantee once the new broadcasting charge comes into force that payment compliance will be any higher than today. Its actually harder to spot a laptop or Table device than a traditional TV (aerial or dish). Its relatively easy to hide those devices if an inspector comes to a door.

I think its naive of government to believe the new charge will fix the shortfall unless they come up with creative ways to collect it.

That should say tablet device!

Its a substitute in the 95% covered by mobile coverage.

In case people think I'm obsessed with Lyric I'd also shutdown or privatise 2FM, a station which has zero public service remit value. I think most would agree with that.

95% mobile coverage does not mean 95% reliable, high quality of coverage. there are areas with a signal, but it is not of a sufficient standard to allow reliable listening to online radio.
    swapping 2fm with one of the digital services is really the only viable option. privatizing it would be pointless as nothing new would be offered, not that there would be anything to actually privatize anyway because the studios will remain with rte, as would the transmission network, and no private provider would want the brand 2fm.

Its a substitute in the 95% covered by mobile coverage.In case people think I'm obsessed with Lyric I'd also shutdown or privatise 2FM, a station which has zero public service remit value. I think most would agree with that.
    95% mobile coverage does not mean 95% reliable, high quality of coverage. there are areas with a signal, but it is not of a sufficient standard to allow reliable listening to online radio.swapping 2fm with one of the digital services is really the only viable option. privatizing it would be pointless as nothing new would be offered, not that there would be anything to actually privatize anyway because the studios will remain with rte, as would the transmission network, and no private provider would want the brand 2fm.
    Not sure what you mean by swapping? In reality RTE needs to cut at least 10 million a year from its budget.The salaries are way too high and many of the presenters such as Finucane can at best be described as part time. The station is over stacked with high paid presenters. WTF does Marty Morrissey do for the 6 months of the year when there is barely any gaa on? The Digital stations swallow money and there are no ratings figures for them. No-one I know listens to them. And half of RTE ad breaks are taken up promoting other RTE programs when they should be taking paid ads instead. RTE is a basketcase.

Well the knife has to fall somewhere when it comes to RTE cuts as they are loss making. Where would you make cuts?

By the way there is no guarantee once the new broadcasting charge comes into force that payment compliance will be any higher than today. Its actually harder to spot a laptop or Table device than a traditional TV (aerial or dish). Its relatively easy to hide those devices if an inspector comes to a door.

I think its naive of government to believe the new charge will fix the shortfall unless they come up with creative ways to collect it.

i disagree with the broadcasting charge.
    as for cuts, swapping 2fm for one of the digital services would bring good savings as the vast majority of 2fm's presenters could be let go. the few that are actually decent could easily be found other homes on rte services.
    rte jr would be shut with it's programming put back on rte 2. rte news now could possibly go all though perhapse it does have a good viewership.
    the +1 channels are minimal cost to run but they could probably go as the transmission costs would bring some savings.
    any other genuinely non-performing presenters would not have their contracts renewed. that will be a non-issue with the unions as it's a simple case of not renewing a contract rather then making people redundant.
    so i reccan i have made quite the savings without actually cutting services that meet the ps remit.

Not sure what you mean by swapping?

very simply, one of the digital services will be transmitted via 2fm's transmission network instead of 2fm.
    In reality RTE needs to cut at least 10 million a year from its budget.The salaries are way too high and many of the presenters such as Finucane can at best be described as part time. The station is over stacked with high paid presenters. WTF does Marty Morrissey do for the 6 months of the year when there is barely any gaa on?

if the salaries were way to high they would have been cut hugely by now. by the looks of it they aren't that high after all.
    The Digital stations swallow money and there are no ratings figures for them. No-one I know listens to them. And half of RTE ad breaks are taken up promoting other RTE programs when they should be taking paid ads instead. RTE is a basketcase.

the digital services taking a tiny bit of money is a non-issue as they meet the remit. they are probably the cheapist to run as i believe they have minimal staffing. and i believe dab+ transmission is much cheaper then fm transmission.

• Advertisement

very simply, one of the digital services will be transmitted via 2fm's transmission network instead of 2fm.

if the salaries were way to high they would have been cut hugely by now. by the looks of it they aren't that high after all.

the digital services taking a tiny bit of money is a non-issue as they meet the remit. they are probably the cheapist to run as i believe they have minimal staffing. and i believe dab+ transmission is much cheaper then fm transmission.

What do you mean by “they aren’t that high after all” ?

Advertisement