Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Galway

Options
  • 18-09-2019 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭

For anyone around Galway, how is the use of bus lanes regarded?

I know we're not allowed but...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

PCeeeee wrote: »
    For anyone around Galway, how is the use of bus lanes regarded?

I know we're not allowed but...

While I can't comment on Galway I can tell you it's never been an issue for me in Dublin and I'm in them all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Use them pretty much daily, but I haven't actually encountered much guards on the roads when I do.

Galway is small there isn't that much bus only sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Use them pretty much daily, but I haven't actually encountered much guards on the roads when I do.

Galway is small there isn't that much bus only sections.

Was thinking particularly about Claregalway in the morning. I normally come in Headford Rd but would come Claregalway way if I could use bus lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

I'd say you be grand just don't speed. I see other bikers using bike lanes all the time.

I'd say you be grand just don't speed. I see other bikers using bike lanes all the time.

Might give it a go so tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭conor2469

I also cannot comment on Galway, but I use bus lanes 5 days a week in Dublin, have ridden by Garda cars multiple times and never had an issue, also encountered Garda bike a few times when using them and he didn't care either. Even if the occasional Garda is going to take exception and call me on it, its still worth it IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Aka scooter lanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Was thinking particularly about Claregalway in the morning. I normally come in Headford Rd but would come Claregalway way if I could use bus lanes.

I've commuted from Tuam to Galway city centre by bike for fifteen years and have used the Claregalway bus lanes in both directions, morning and evening with no hassles from anyone. I've even been waved through a checkpoint one evening while I was in a bus lane.

Keep your speed down, watch for traffic coming out of the couple of side roads either side of the village and you'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The Gardai know that bikes are better in the bus lane rather than sitting in traffic or filtering. So they allow it once you don't take the mick. You can always meet a jobsworth though.

You would wonder why there isn't a massive media campaign to make motorcycles in bus lanes legal, which is currently a minor traffic offence, when they are massively pushing for E-bikes and electric scooters to be legalised, currently a major offence of no insurance/licence/tax etc.

I've commuted from Tuam to Galway city centre by bike for fifteen years and have used the Claregalway bus lanes in both directions, morning and evening with no hassles from anyone. I've even been waved through a checkpoint one evening while I was in a bus lane.

Keep your speed down, watch for traffic coming out of the couple of side roads either side of the village and you'll be fine!

Thanks Interceptor, I was hoping there'd be someone doing it daily. I went up that way last week and it was great. I think it'll be my route from now on.

• Advertisement
Advertisement