Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Battery spill

• 11-08-2019 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure whether to post this here or over in the caravan and motorhome forum.
    Our leisure battery partially tipped over in the boot during the week.
    Didn't fully tip over, about 45 degrees, but enough to spill some of the acid.
    It was in a carry box which did it's job and contained most of the acid.

I'd guess that 100-150ml of acid spilled out.
    I'm bringing it to a battery shop tomorrow to get topped up with electrolyte.

Does anyone know whether the battery is likely to be permanently affected or if the exposed plates will be ok once topped up?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Battery from years ago always needed to be topped up,so if getting topped up should be good.Flush around battery with plenty of water as it burns and corrosive.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

It should be fine.
    Most batteries these days are sealed. Is this an old battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭josip

4 year old Halfords leisure battery.

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-blades-batteries/leisure-batteries/halfords-leisure-battery-hlb678

Definitely not sealed, maybe leisure batteries have less need to be sealed or 4 years ago things were different?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How did it tip over?
    It should have a retaining mechanism that should strap the whole battery down securely while in motion.
    Apart from any acid damage the wiring and connectors get stressed and can fail from movement.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    How did it tip over?
    It should have a retaining mechanism that should strap the whole battery down securely while in motion.
    Apart from any acid damage the wiring and connectors get stressed and can fail from movement.

It's a battery for a boat trolling motor that we transport in the boot.
    I've been careful with its packing for 4 years that it can't tip over but we were late back this year and I was too tired to unpack the boot fully.
    Lucky it had a box and didn't fully tip over.

• Advertisement

Hard to get the acid concentration right refilling. If you don't notice any difference after topping up then, grand.
    Batteries ought to have positive retention for many reasons. Electrically, chemically, physically, preventatively....
    Baking soda the fallout.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 nurik922

Hi everyone
    Posting in this thread since I think it is somehow related to my issue as well
    I bought this 6v batter for my son's electic car few months ago and did not almost use it.

https:// www. funstuff. ie/6v-6-7ah-lead-acid-battery/

Recently when starting the car, I noticed that both batteries died (the car is 12V thus 2 batteries) - I'd assume it is because last time my son used the car he left it with almost no charge and then noone used the car for few months.
    Batteries are quite new and used maybe 5-6 time, thus can you please advise how I can make them "alive" again? To add acid? or electrolyte? or distilled water? where to buy them? or maybe any garage in dundrum area where it can be fixed for few quids since the new batteries will cost me 40 eur?

I'm not an expert, but from everything I read over the last few years I'd guess that the batteries are already sulphated beyond repair having been discharged for that long.
    It doesn't sound like you've had a spill, so topping up with water/acid is unlikely to help.

You could give this a try if you're optimistic.
    https://itstillruns.com/remove-sulfation-lead-acid-batteries-8211189.html

Advertisement