Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sexism you have personally experienced or have heard of? *READ POST 1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

SNIP. Off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Some lovely catty comments in that peice. It's a shame we don't have a name for female incels, besides feminest

1) It's interesting how mysognist has been replaced by incel and I think it goes to show how that mysognist has been used in the past as belittlement rather than a real accusation.

2) Indiewire, meanwhile, goes further, describing the film as a "toxic rallying cry for self-pitying incels" and says it speaks "to the people in our world who are predisposed to think of Arthur as a role model: lonely, creatively impotent white men who are drawn to hateful ideologies because of the angry communities that foment around them.

That is a disgusting comment and the mention of impotent is so belitting that it is shocking.

3) Does anybody know that Elliot Rogers was a self hating asain rather than a white incel? :P

there is something uncomfortable about it being acceptable to pathologize a section of your citizens, there would seem to be less hate for Hispanic or African American gangs.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Some lovely catty comments in that peice. It's a shame we don't have a name for female incels, besides feminest

Well, the whole "incel" thing was actually started by a woman - and it makes sense in a way, because historically there's always been more pressure on women to "not be single", so to speak. Despite it being deep into the 21st century, it IS still considered undesirable and/or a big problem for a woman to be single, especially as the age creeps past 30.

That said, the "incel" thing started purely as a venue for people feeling lonely to chat, exchange experiences and generally be less alone. It's only in more recent times that is has assumed to overly-negative connotation it has, and if you ask me it takes two to tango.

What I see is that while the whole "community" has fallen into a black hole of self-pity, hatred, bigotry and racism (the "black dudes get all the p~ssy" line some of these groups take is just one of the cringeworthy aspects), there is an equal influence from the mainstream media constantly bashing and belittling men who might be in a spot of bother, with the risk of pushing them into more extreme ideas.

The constant, unrelenting push of the stereotype of the single, lonely, inept, possibly virgin, fat, short, living-at-home "young white males" as the source of all evil and the cause of all issues in society has been a prevalent theme, especially in English-speaking media, over the last few years. It's a stupid approach that will only generate more and more "incel" movements.

Now sure, there are plenty of basket-cases who bring their doom upon themselves, no doubt about it; If you're unemployed, not studying, living with your mom, sitting in front of the TV the whole day and on a steady diet of Doritos and Mountain Dew, well, your "incel" status is nobody's fault other than your own.

However, the "stereotype" I mentioned above has a foundation in reality and it does include plenty of people (mostly men, but there are women in it as well) who find themselves in there through no fault of their own - physical disadvantages, crippling social anxiety or plain simple "socially undesirable" character traits are just a few of the issues that might crop up in someone's life and make social interaction and relationship multiple times harder than it is for the majority of people.

Classic example, a young guy that's short and tubby these days has pretty much zero chances of a satisfactory sexual life, through no fault of his own. He might realistically consider himself an "incel" in the original meaning of the term, be meaning well and generally be a decent guy, just to be told constantly that he has "no right" to physical or emotional intimacy, to see his particular predicament made the butt of many jokes AND being considered pretty much the root of all evil. That's the definition of being kicked while down, and it doesn't do people any good in the long term.

(The same general concept is valid for a woman in the same situation, although there ARE differences in terms of support and wider perception).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,530 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

However, the "stereotype" I mentioned above has a foundation in reality and it does include plenty of people (mostly men, but there are women in it as well) who find themselves in there through no fault of their own - physical disadvantages, crippling social anxiety or plain simple "socially undesirable" character traits are just a few of the issues that might crop up in someone's life and make social interaction and relationship multiple times harder than it is for the majority of people.

Good point. It seems to me that the whole "incel = bad / freak" movement is, in part at least, a 21st century, PC - approved form of plain old schoolyard bullying.

H3llR4iser wrote:

The constant, unrelenting push of the stereotype of the single, lonely, inept, possibly virgin, fat, short, living-at-home "young white males" as the source of all evil and the cause of all issues in society has been a prevalent theme, especially in English-speaking media, over the last few years. It's a stupid approach that will only generate more and more "incel" movements.
    It's bizarre really - not many people are likely to have less influence or power in the world than those who are "single, lonely, inept, possibly virgin, fat, short, living-at-home".

It's bizarre really - not many people are likely to have less influence or power in the world than those who are "single, lonely, inept, possibly virgin, fat, short, living-at-home".

the funny thing is that the most criticism tends to come from the closest possible group, male feminist types who don't rate on any chart of exceptional male characteristics except they probably grew up reasonably privileged so not their own abilities.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

silverharp wrote: »
    there is something uncomfortable about it being acceptable to pathologize a section of your citizens, there would seem to be less hate for Hispanic or African American gangs.

I have never witnessed social commentary like what we are witnessing today across media, terms like "mysogyny" "toxic masculinity" and other terms of the radical feminist are everywhere these days and have been normalised, of course they mean nothing to those who aren't drinking the kool aid, I genuinely feel sorry for the sons of people who are buying into this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

I have never witnessed social commentary like what we are witnessing today across media, terms like "mysogyny" "toxic masculinity" and other terms of the radical feminist are everywhere these days and have been normalised, of course they mean nothing to those who aren't drinking the kool aid, I genuinely feel sorry for the sons of people who are buying into this nonsense.

As I said before, what I've witnessed is that many of the hard stance "men are entitled scum", especially women, perform a high-g 180 degree turn that'd put an aerobatics pilot to shame the moment their first boy is born.

Granted, it's not ALL of them, some keep on their idiotic line - a few months ago I've heard, for the first time "live" to my face, a woman saying "If I ever have a boy I'll be quite upset". She'll probably change her mind as well, but for now it IS troublesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Reviews and Books Galore

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    As I said before, what I've witnessed is that many of the hard stance "men are entitled scum", especially women, perform a high-g 180 degree turn that'd put an aerobatics pilot to shame the moment their first boy is born.

Granted, it's not ALL of them, some keep on their idiotic line - a few months ago I've heard, for the first time "live" to my face, a woman saying "If I ever have a boy I'll be quite upset". She'll probably change her mind as well, but for now it IS troublesome.

I wonder is she trying to sound cool as toxic femininity is quite 'cool' now? Kinda like a guy who says 'aint no woman tgonna boss me around' kinda of mentality.

But, yeah, I find most women have a reversal in their thirties/after having a child. And, the ones that don't are quite looked down upon imo. It's actually a funny facet of life that the hardcore feminists or toxic women are actually looked down upon by most women. In a lot of cultures men are seen as lacking emotional intelligience, so a woman emotionally abusing a guy is kind of seen as low character in the same way a guy physically intimidating a woman is seen.

Just a funny info dump :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,873 ✭✭✭iptba

https://twitter.com/obianuju/status/1160921802283147265?s=11

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/book-kavanaugh-accusers-attack-motivated-by-defending-roe-v-wade

Nothing to see here. False accusations aren't real and there is never any ulteriour motive to a false accusation of rape, creepiness or mysoginy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/book-kavanaugh-accusers-attack-motivated-by-defending-roe-v-wade

Nothing to see here. False accusations aren't real and there is never any ulteriour motive to a false accusation of rape, creepiness or mysoginy.

This American administration may not be to your taste, but Brett Kavanagh and Donald Trump between have been falsely accused on three occasions, now, how what the f##k do you expect to achieve by falsely accusing the most powerful men in the US...what do you think those guys are going to do.

Has anyone seen the figures from the US Universities that introduced kangaroo courts on campus to clamp down on the alleged rape culture....they've been in existence since 2011...it's odd that these figures are not public knowledge.

i didnt read the article,but the framing is amusing...me me me me me

https://twitter.com/PetiteNicoco/status/1170332872168935426

Sure, let the men stay at home and mind the kids. It's hardly that big of a deal. American gender stuff is pretty weird (and I think that's where a lot of our issues actually come from) as the woman can do what she wants but the man should still give up his life for the family. Honestly, I'd be tempted to ask the wife to take on some hours and I'd take off some hours or work form home to mind the kid. Like, what husband wouldn't want to be a part of their child's life?

Also, has anybody hear heard of the Negligent Rape laws in Sweden? It's pretty much rape if the woman never explicetly says yes and god knows, beyong an audio recording, how you would prove that.

What's interesting is that if any type of sex is rape if it is never explicetely said yes, then how in the world is the woman not accused of rape as it does take two to tango? What's very interesting, and worrying, is that the human rights groups in Sweden are still saying the often qouted line of there's still further to go.

This doesn't actually affect me, but it's definetly time people stopped seeing women as victims and instead saw them as equal people that can be both good and bad.

Sure, let the men stay at home and mind the kids. It's hardly that big of a deal. American gender stuff is pretty weird (and I think that's where a lot of our issues actually come from) as the woman can do what she wants but the man should still give up his life for the family. Honestly, I'd be tempted to ask the wife to take on some hours and I'd take off some hours or work form home to mind the kid. Like, what husband wouldn't want to be a part of their child's life.
    Not sure it’s specifically a US thing for women to want men to earn well, which will generally require full-time work among other things. I recall reading a study about doctors: men said they had a greater choice of partners from doing medicine while women said the pool of suitable people was smaller which presumably because they wanted a male partner that wanted to earn at a similar level to them if not earning more, despite the fact one might think a medical career might give more financial freedom.

Of course, it’s not the end of the world if women do have such preferences. But they then have a vested interest in men not being discriminated in a way that directly or indirectly affects their careers.

Why is a good man so hard to find? Blame the war on boys and men

September 27, 2019

By Stephanie Gutmann

https://nypost.com/2019/09/27/why-is-a-good-man-so-hard-to-find-blame-the-war-on-boys-and-men/

This jumps around highlighting various issues. Though it's a bit superficial in some ways.

The stamp duty in Delhi levied by the local government varies, depending on whether the buyer of the property is male or female. For males, the stamp duty charge is 6% as against 4% for females. The charge for joint purpose for both male and female is 5%.

https://www.proptiger.com/guide/post/demystifying-stamp-duty-registration-charges-in-delhi
    Some states like Assam and Union territories like Delhi and Puducherry
    have different rates for male and female categories. Assam levies 4%
    stamp duty and 1% registration fees on women and 5% stamp duty and 2%
    registration fees on men. Delhi and Puducherry also levy less charges on
    women.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/70199925.cms?utm_source=contentofinterest&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=cppst

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

iptba wrote: »

India is still a country with great inequality, the earning potential of men is much much higher than it is for women.

I would say in this case its a product of the environment than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I think you need to pick your fights.

You will do well to find a country where men have a stronger position in society than India.

It needs to be redressed, and I have absolutely no problem with positive discrimination where its appropriate, it should be encouraged.

Calhoun wrote: »
    India is still a country with great inequality, the earning potential of men is much much higher than it is for women.

I would say in this case its a product of the environment than anything.
    I am not knowledgeable on the earning potential of men and women in India. I do know that quite a lot of women along with men to subcontractor-type work for Irish companies and I imagine discrimination based on pay would not be allowed.

Anyway, one tends to often hear one side of the story, with disadvantages women can face in either the developed or developing world. I think it is useful to keep track of the other side of the ledger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    and I have absolutely no problem with positive discrimination

Men and women are equal arnt they?, no need for positive discrimination. Equal opportunity, let everyone battle it out, the best will rise to the top regardless of gender.

• Advertisement

Men and women are equal arnt they?, no need for positive discrimination. Equal opportunity, let everyone battle it out, the best will rise to the top regardless of gender.

That's fine if everybody is starting from the same place.

They aren't.

Saying is everyone is equal does not mean that everyone has equal opportunity.

I am not knowledgeable on the earning potential of men and women in India. I do know that quite a lot of women along with men to subcontractor-type work for Irish companies and I imagine discrimination based on pay would not be allowed.

Anyway, one tends to often hear one side of the story, with disadvantages women can face in either the developed or developing world. I think it is useful to keep track of the other side of the ledger.

Sorry now -

I cant stand for this.

Women are at a horrendous disadvantage in the developing world.

Work away at both sides of the ledger all you want, but if we are talking about places like India or Pakistan, then I'm sorry but men have the whip hand both in the family and in the workplace; and the pendulum has a long long way to swing before we can talk about anything remotely close to equality.

Lets not have daft arguments please.

Your assumptions are incorrect, allot of the companies outsourcing overseas don't actually care about the individuals they care about the bottom line of the cost being charged to them.

Sure there are companies who will have fairer policy than others but for he most part India is very much a patriarchy.

I think it does a disservice to equal rights to call out discrimination in countries where the decks are so balanced to one sex. Especially without knowing the background behind why that might be.

It makes sense to call it out in developing countries because certain sections of our society believe that things are unequal when they are not and as such more rights gets granted to one sex.

I'd be careful of calling foreign countries patriarchal as top down sexism is really a western concept and I think all countries have different levels of power given to men and women. As well as that, there is a bit of a precedent for saying that 'brown' (yes I know) countries need western influence, and, as well as that, we're getting our views of foreign countries from the same loonies that are saying we have a rape culture in Ireland.

It's the same thing in regards to segregrated dining areas for men and women. The western people say that it is sexist against women, but a lot of the local people say its actually sexist against men as they are segregrated from the women and childrne.

I'm not saying India is a utopian for women, but it's more complicated than saying it's a utopian for men.

I'd be careful of calling foreign countries patriarchal as top down sexism is really a western concept and I think all countries have different levels of power given to men and women. As well as that, there is a bit of a precedent for saying that 'brown' (yes I know) countries need western influence, and, as well as that, we're getting our views of foreign countries from the same loonies that are saying we have a rape culture in Ireland.

It's the same thing in regards to segregrated dining areas for men and women. The western people say that it is sexist against women, but a lot of the local people say its actually sexist against men as they are segregrated from the women and childrne.

I'm not saying India is a utopian for women, but it's more complicated than saying it's a utopian for men.

Have you actually been to India? What other word would you use for Patriarchy where women's opinions are looked upon lesser than men and rape is a real risk on a daily basis?

Additionally idon't think either of us were arguing its a utopia for men but if we want our discussion on sexism to have credibility we need to compare societies that are much more closely aligned.

Calhoun wrote: »
    Have you actually been to India? What other word would you use for Patriarchy where women's opinions are looked upon lesser than men and rape is a real risk on a daily basis?

Additionally idon't think either of us were arguing its a utopia for men but if we want our discussion on sexism to have credibility we need to compare societies that are much more closely aligned.

I've never been to India, but I do know a lot of women who travelled through it and loved it.

It's quite a large place, as big as Europe, and very diverse. Interestingly enough, a large portion of it was actually matriarchal a couple of hundred years ago (same with vietnam).

Do I know what's going on in India? Not particularly as a lot of our news is a little bit skewed to seeing India based upon preconcieved notions.

I don't really have an argument here, but our perception of sexism (imo because it's comes from christian societies which has a bit of a hierararchal bent) has a very top down mentality. One party is weak, the other is strong.

Maybe it's right, maybe it's wrong, but I imagine what we are hearing about a country with as much of a population of Europe may be a little bit skewed based upon preconcieved notions.

I've never been to India, but I do know a lot of women who travelled through it and loved it.

It's quite a large place, as big as Europe, and very diverse. Interestingly enough, a large portion of it was actually matriarchal a couple of hundred years ago (same with vietnam).

Do I know what's going on in India? Not particularly as a lot of our news is a little bit skewed to seeing India based upon preconcieved notions.

I don't really have an argument here, but our perception of sexism (imo because it's comes from christian societies which has a bit of a hierararchal bent) has a very top down mentality. One party is weak, the other is strong.

Maybe it's right, maybe it's wrong, but I imagine what we are hearing about a country with as much of a population of Europe may be a little bit skewed based upon preconcieved notions.

I dont get what you mean by top-down.

Conventionally - when we talk about sexism - there is an underpin of power imbalance.

That can be wealth imbalance, it can be political power imbalance, it can be physical strength imbalance, it can be education imbalance, it can be income imbalance.

Where one party is at a distinct advantage in society to the other in some or all of the above.

How does Top Down come into it - I'm not being smart, but i dont know what you mean?

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I dont get what you mean by top-down.

Conventionally - when we talk about sexism - there is an underpin of power imbalance.

That can be wealth imbalance, it can be political power imbalance, it can be physical strength imbalance, it can be education imbalance, it can be income imbalance.

Where one party is at a distinct advantage in society to the other in some or all of the above.

How does Top Down come into it - I'm not being smart, but i dont know what you mean?

Oh God, I am awful at formulating my thoughts, but I'm going to give it my best shot :P

I do believe that the term sexism is wrong in that it denotes a hierarchal relationship where one party is weaker/preyed upon and another party is stronger/predatory.

I guess I believe that sexism is 'reciprical' where mysoginy feeds into misandry, vice versa and both genders have their own sphere of power that kind of fuels the other. Such as men being seen as inherently stronger/more dangerous leads into a protectiveness towards women where a man intimidating a woman physically is seen as an abuse of power, in the same way (until recently imo) a woman yelling at a man in public/belliting a man was seen as an abuse of the 'power' due to the percieved imbalance of physical power.

So, instead of hierarchal the above paints a rather more 'recipricol' nature of sexism where both genders have their own areas of expertise. The man physical power and the woman emotional power.

So, I feel like their is an inherent bias of seeing sexism in a hierarchal nature.

I am sorry for the word vomit :o

Well i have been to India 3-4 times and have interacted in ways a tourist never would. I have seen the sexism and what i would class as a very patriarchal society. I post on these threads as much as you guys looking for balance in the west when it comes to men's rights.

I feel that getting outraged about it when it comes to cultures and practices not even remotely close to ours does men's rights and equality in general a disservice.

• Advertisement

Hmmm, interesting peice on the beguiled here.

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/06/the-beguiled-sofia-coppola-colin-farrell-female-gaze-castration-1201847789/

I like to read about the movies as, post me too, there does seem to be a rise in the toxicity. Not sure the movies actually toxic as it's just a retelling of the storey, but still interesting insight into some people's mentality.

Advertisement