Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Yeah you could be right, I suppose that's what plays on my mind. I am fairly sure after that class I felt fine and not gassed out, although I had been cycling a lot in the proceeding few weeks so my fitness had improved. I am also fairly sure I wasn't that sore either and could have went to the next class only for the broken finger so it was a shame it happened.

Although I found myself looking at the clock a few times thinking "is this nearly over yet" ☺️

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,030 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Out of curiosity -

Anyone a member of Keenan Online? Works out at about €214 a year.

I have used various online subscription services in the past (YogaForBJJ, ROMWOD, Grappler's Guide) and found that if you use them they can be good value at any price.

Grappler's Guide is similar to Keenan Online in some ways, probably has even more content, but it's a complete pain in the ass to navigate and I actually just find Jason far less engaging than Keenan as a coach.

But still... Not sure if I want to take the plunge. Anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Out of curiosity -

Anyone a member of Keenan Online? Works out at about €214 a year.

I have used various online subscription services in the past (YogaForBJJ, ROMWOD, Grappler's Guide) and found that if you use them they can be good value at any price.

Grappler's Guide is similar to Keenan Online in some ways, probably has even more content, but it's a complete pain in the ass to navigate and I actually just find Jason far less engaging than Keenan as a coach.

But still... Not sure if I want to take the plunge. Anyone?

I find DVDs etc to be massively inferior to just going to classes and rolling. I've got more from 10 minute Kurt Osiander YouTube instructionals than I have from expensive DVD series.

If you want to get better, just roll with actively resisting partners after hands on instructions from a qualified instructor.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

While we're on the subject, does anyone use Yoga for BJJ? Like a lot of us, I could do with being a bit more flexible. In our classes we tend to warm up, do a technique and then kill each other for a few rounds. Not much S&C stuff going on and no stretching really.

Anyone use it? If so, any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

Lachlan Giles YouTube channel is gold and it’s free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,773 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

MrStuffins wrote: »
    While we're on the subject, does anyone use Yoga for BJJ? Like a lot of us, I could do with being a bit more flexible. In our classes we tend to warm up, do a technique and then kill each other for a few rounds. Not much S&C stuff going on and no stretching really.

I used it for a while and it's very good (was at Sebastian's seminar in ECJJ a few years ago).

Ended up going to a yoga class for about 9 months and it helped me a lot, got rid of my back pain when sitting at the desk in work. Need to actually go back now I've a bit more free time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Yoga is something I've been meaning to get into for a while now.
    The new job has standard hours, and a yoga class, that I've been meaning to take advantage of since I started

I find DVDs etc to be massively inferior to just going to classes and rolling. I've got more from 10 minute Kurt Osiander YouTube instructionals than I have from expensive DVD series.

If you want to get better, just roll with actively resisting partners after hands on instructions from a qualified instructor.

Why would it be either / or?

The amount of mat time and instruction I receive in the real world is totally unrelated to the screen time I might have available to watch BJJ instructionals and take something away from them. Probably like a lot of people for me the instructional screen time is shoe-horned in at times when I have nothing better to do (For example, today, waiting 30 minutes for my car to go through the NCT..).

But I think the other point you made was about DVDs versus free YouTube instructional and which was better value...

The modern streaming subscription services are pretty different beasts to the old DVDs sets. You've got more content, usually regular updates and whatnot. I guess in theory Keenan or someone like that could put their library out in DVD format but these days it's cheaper and easier for everyone involved to stream. I don't even own a DVD player anymore...

Then the issue is free versus subscription.

I actually like free stuff and who doesn't like, for example, Kurt Osiander's move of the week (Read he's in rehab now, btw.. Good luck Kurt).

But then there's content that someone worked hard to produce and you either decide to pay for or you don't. It's a little bit subjective but as I said, for me personally I think subscription services as a model are grand value provided you use them and like the content.

MrStuffins wrote: »

I use it and yes, I like it. I definitely feel like it is good self-maintenance as a masters trainee who both lifts and does BJJ.

With free trial it's a no-brainer to give it a shot and cancel if you don't like it. You should also check out ROMWOD which is not BJJ-specific but could tick the same box for you and offers a different approach.

For YogaForBJJ there's an app now which means it is a little more user-friendly than the old site, which was quite bug-ridden.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Agree with the above re DVDs. It’s not an alternative ton training it’s a supplement. Nobody is should be skipping class to watch instructionals. You watch then after class or between class.
    They are also useful while injured or otherwise unable to train.

Most good gyms will have good instructors. But the details you get from a Ryan Hall/Craig Jones set can be huge to you game. You still need to roll to learn them fully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

I have been training BJJ for a while now and i am a 2 stripe white belt. I would love to start competing but tbh while i know a few moves i struggle with transitions and my gas tank, while it is getting better is still not great.

I havent spoke to my instructor about it yet but i plan to over the next few weeks.

I am just wondering if anyone here is competing and if so how long into your bjj journey were you when you started i.e belt, time training, age that kind of thing.

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    I am just wondering if anyone here is competing and if so how long into your bjj journey were you when you started i.e belt, time training, age that kind of thing.

I've competed since a few months into white belt. It's not for everyone, but I personally think it really helps you develop your game. Not so much the actual match. But the figuring out you do afterwards. Where you went wrong, what worked, what full intensity feels like, what the game plan will be next time., etc.

You said, you're a two stripe white belt. There will likely be a couple of 4-stripe about to be blue white belts in your division. So losing more than you win is expected. Eventually you'll be 50/50, then mostly winning. Then you move up to blue and start back at the bottom. Repeat

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    I have been training BJJ for a while now and i am a 2 stripe white belt. I would love to start competing but tbh while i know a few moves i struggle with transitions and my gas tank, while it is getting better is still not great.

I havent spoke to my instructor about it yet but i plan to over the next few weeks.

I think i was only 3-4 months in when i done my first comp.

As Mellor said it's great to be able to see the difference in intensity between a match and a roll in the gym. It's a completely different game when there's a medal involved.

It really is great fun tho. Make sure to speak to your coach, only he will be able to know if you're ready to compete or not.

Kinetic team grappler event. Lachlan Giles eliminates the other team entirely on his own. 5 subs back to back.
    It's on fightpass. I'd love to see Lachlan do well at ADCC

BJJ Fanatics has advanced to the semi finals in Kinektic, entirely on the shoulders of Lachian Giles, who finished the entire Lights Out Team by submission. He opened with quick heelhook finishes of Mansher Khera and crowd favorite Will Weed. He moved on to quickly out manuver Joe Riggs for an armbar finish, and an equally quick finish of Chris Lytle. His biggest challenge of the night was former UFC Champion Ricco Rodriguez, who lasted a few minutes longer, but ultimately succumbed to a heel hook within minutes.

All and all, Giles finished five opponents in a matter of minutes. BJJ Fanatics advances to semi finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭average hero

Hey guys,

Just back at judo after a break of a few months. Man my gas tank is shot! Felt like puking all class. Very intense but delighted to be back at it!

Just a quick one re: BJJ. I am a blue belt in judo and training for my brown belt. Been at judo on and off for about 8 years. Had a few big injuries and emigrated and came back etc. I am looking to cross-train in BJJ when I get a job that has no shifts. Looking at Team KF in Swords. I would like to compete as a white belt when the time is right.

Judo has some ground game but my ground game is terrible haha. Does anyone know anyone who cross-trains Judo and BJJ? How did it go for them? Do they compliment each other?
    Thanks folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Hey guys,

Just back at judo after a break of a few months. Man my gas tank is shot! Felt like puking all class. Very intense but delighted to be back at it!

Just a quick one re: BJJ. I am a blue belt in judo and training for my brown belt. Been at judo on and off for about 8 years. Had a few big injuries and emigrated and came back etc. I am looking to cross-train in BJJ when I get a job that has no shifts. Looking at Team KF in Swords. I would like to compete as a white belt when the time is right.

Judo has some ground game but my ground game is terrible haha. Does anyone know anyone who cross-trains Judo and BJJ? How did it go for them? Do they compliment each other?
    Thanks folks.

Its fairly regular, and they complement each other very well. Having that experience in judo going into BJJ will be a massive benefit, you'll score points for fun for takedowns in BJJ tournaments up until.purole belt to be honest, and you'll probably be a lot better at mentioning top position, especially in positions like scarf hold (side Mount).

You won't be a white belt in BJJ for long if you put a y sort of effort into training and tbh you'd be kind of.sanf bagging by competing at white belt.

SubMarcos cover most of the point above.
    How long would it take you to go from Judo Brown to Black? You'd be excluded from white belt after that.

Thanks guys for your replies.

I believe the Irish Judo Association requires a minimum wait of a year between brown belt to black belt. In practice it takes at least that long anyway as you have to win 10 x fights in IJA events against brown or black belts within a time period (I think 12 months) to earn it.

For context, I was a very good blue belt, should have earned brown belt but got a bad knee injury and am just getting back to training now. My timing and technique is off but I am sure I will get that back. Fitness is poor though. I missed out on brown belt at a last grading by 5 seconds (didn't pin my opponent long enough and he went on to pin me).

My ground game is bad and I am a beginner but I definitely wouldn't be an absolute beginner at BJJ. I know a few escapes, a few reversals from guard, 2 x guard passes and hold downs are decent. My chokes and strangles are okay but need work, as do my arm locks.

Need to get stronger and fitter ASAP.

Will be interesting to see how cross-training goes when I get going.

I believe the Irish Judo Association requires a minimum wait of a year between brown belt to black belt. In practice it takes at least that long anyway as you have to win 10 x fights in IJA events against brown or black belts within a time period (I think 12 months) to earn it.
    I was curious how it compared to BJJ minimums and checked it out. It's 3 months. https://irishjudoassociation.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Irish-Judo-Grading-Information-1st-January-2019-1.pdf
    But as you mention, would take longer to meet other requirements.

Depending on the effort you put in to BJJ, you could be moving to blue/black at the same time so the sandbagging issue is avoided.
    My ground game is bad and I am a beginner but I definitely wouldn't be an absolute beginner at BJJ. I know a few escapes, a few reversals from guard, 2 x guard passes and hold downs are decent. My chokes and strangles are okay but need work, as do my arm locks.

Most judoka I've rolled with have decent collar chokes, and a few decent armlocks from keza/turtle. But not so much off their back - which makes perfect sense really.

Not meaning to question you Mellor but I think it is 6 months from brown belt to black belt minimum time in grade. On page 7 on that link it says new grade '1st dan' and current grade '1st kyu' (brown belt) and minimum time in grade is stated as 6 months. It is poorly written actually. No odds either way anyway as mentioned above.

I remember years ago going to Team Ryano and grappling with a guy from America (Sean or Chris maybe?). I only was green belt at the time and couldn't commit. He told me my defence was alright but my attacks were the sh!ts haha.

Will be interesting to see how it goes! Hopefully get into competing relatively soon as I love competing in Judo.

What are the BJJ minimum time-in-grades?

• Advertisement

Question/Correct away. I literally only see that list once before. You are right. You have to read across the 1st Dan row for the Brown belt minimums.

BJJ minimums (strictly speaking only applies to IBJJF competition)
    White No minimum
    Blue 2 years
    Purple 1.5 years
    Brown 1 year

So officially it's 5 years minimum if you spend 6 months at white. But that would be very fast, 10 years is typical.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭creeper1

Travis Stevens progressed from white to black belt in bjj in just 18 months. He was white for few weeks, then blue for one month and purple for few months.

I don't watch intstructionals that much but he is one of my favorite youtubers with some good content.

creeper1 wrote: »
    Travis Stevens progressed from white to black belt in bjj in just 18 months. He was white for few weeks, then blue for one month and purple for few months.

I don't watch intstructionals that much but he is one of my favorite youtubers with some good content.
    18 months of BJJ at Renzos. But he was an already an Judo Olympian with 25 years of grappling under his belt. The Fastest Ever Black Belt articles are clickbaity. BJ Penn also took longer than the 3 years often quoted.

There have people who have been promoted straight to blackbelt. Barnett, Milton Vieira, etc. But same deal, extensive grappling backgrounds not 1 day promotions (although that has happened too - honorary black belts).

Anyone competing at the weekend?

Should be a great weekend of it.

Looking forward to it from here, 4lbs over at the minute, and i'm on quite late in the day on Sunday, so it's going to be a miserable few days cutting and staying at the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

eeloe wrote: »

Looking forward to it from here, 4lbs over at the minute, and i'm on quite late in the day on Sunday, so it's going to be a miserable few days cutting and staying at the weight.

I had earmarked this as my first tournie but I never signed up, and then got sick.

I see Grappling Industries are here in December. I'm just gonna bite the bullet and sign up over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Mini850

eeloe wrote: »

Wish I was, not competed this year at all, in spite of the fact I'm in the best condition of my life. I've made it a point to stay on weight. But none of the tournaments have fallen right date wise.

The only tournament that I could actually do was the NP Irish open, but it got rescheduled :rolleyes:

Now I may wait until the next GAMA event as herself is away this weekend.

Best of luck to all this weekend.

Stuggling to lose the last couple of lbs.

Always fought at ultra, but was sick of being right on the lower end, and being against lads that had 10-15kg on me.

so decided to go down to heavy 94.3....this dieting stuff is hard!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

A good poo the morning of and you'll be under, depending how close to the limit you are.
    Do they weigh you before your match now or is it still a while before?

Tazzimus wrote: »
    A good poo the morning of and you'll be under, depending how close to the limit you are.
    Do they weigh you before your match now or is it still a while before?

it's at the bullpen, so about 20 minutes before the match.

Was on the bike and sauna for about an hour this morning, and i was bang on the money, so i'm just gonna have some small meals today, and head back over to the bike and sauna tonight, and hopefully that will allow me to have breakfast tomorrow before we leave.

Gotta leave at 7am, not fighting till late in the afternoon, but there's a good few others from the club that are on at 10am and need lifts.

• Advertisement

Lachlan Giles. What a performance in absolute. Legend

Advertisement