Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Hospital Ward Drink?

• 17-08-2019 3:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

In hospital at the moment undergoing surgery (alcohol related) and may be here for another 2 weeks - been here 2 weeks already.

I constantly feel thirsty, especially at night, and have noticed I'm probably drinking 2 litres of Lucozade Original a day added to what they're giving me in here (milk, orange juice, water, yoghurt drinks)

Do I need to cut down on the Lucozade and what would be a good drink to switch to in order to quench the thirst - was considering Innocent Juices or Innocent Smoothies but they're so bloody expensive.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Hi guys

In hospital at the moment undergoing surgery (alcohol related) and may be here for another 2 weeks - been here 2 weeks already.

I constantly feel thirsty, especially at night, and have noticed I'm probably drinking 2 litres of Lucozade Original a day added to what they're giving me in here (milk, orange juice, water, yoghurt drinks)

Do I need to cut down on the Lucozade and what would be a good drink to switch to in order to quench the thirst - was considering Innocent Juices or Innocent Smoothies but they're so bloody expensive.

Cheers

My bf is two years sober and still drinking Lucozade. Although fruit juices contain sugars they are still better to have then fizzy drinks and they don't have the added chemicals. Lucozade has caffeine too and it won't really quench your thirst it'll dehydrated you. Plain water and lots of it is best but no harm at all in having smoothies. When you are home you could make your own but innocent smoothies are a good option for now one a day or every second day would be good for you just gets that added bit of fruit in. Then have any juice that's not from concentrate, doesn't have to be fancy. You could flavour your water with juice either if you find water a bit boring after a while. Eating oranges, cucumbers etc will help keep you hydrated. Are you eating anything that could be making you thirsty? Try if you can to aim for 2 litres of plain water a day I know it's a lot but sip away at it. Have you been tested for diabetes? Hope you feel better soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

My bf is two years sober and still drinking Lucozade. Although fruit juices contain sugars they are still better to have then fizzy drinks and they don't have the added chemicals. Lucozade has caffeine too and it won't really quench your thirst it'll dehydrated you. Plain water and lots of it is best but no harm at all in having smoothies. When you are home you could make your own but innocent smoothies are a good option for now one a day or every second day would be good for you just gets that added bit of fruit in. Then have any juice that's not from concentrate, doesn't have to be fancy. You could flavour your water with juice either if you find water a bit boring after a while. Eating oranges, cucumbers etc will help keep you hydrated. Are you eating anything that could be making you thirsty? Try if you can to aim for 2 litres of plain water a day I know it's a lot but sip away at it. Have you been tested for diabetes? Hope you feel better soon :)

To be honest, 2 litres is nothing to me - at home and in work I'd routinely drink 4-5 litres of water per day.

I make my own smoothies with my Nutri Bullet (mostly Green Kale Spinach Avocado and Banana smoothies or the sweeter Berry ones)

Drinking alot of cranberry juice but yesterday didn't I go back on the Lucozade Original, drank 1.5 litres in less than an hour and broke out in the most painful stomach cramps ever. Plus they;re giving me laxative syrup 3 times a day in here to get rid of the toxins so I spent most of the day with painful cramps on the toilet.

Suffice to say, I'm staying away from all sugary, caffeine based drinks.

Innocent smoothies are great, but I've spent over 40 quid on them in the last 7 days :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is the room air conditioned?

Water is likely best, but discuss the feeling of dehydration with the doctors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Victor wrote: »
    Is the room air conditioned?

Water is likely best, but discuss the feeling of dehydration with the doctors.

It's an absolute sweatbox but seemingly I'm the only individual who feels this way

In fairness when I get hours out I'm always thirsty as hell too

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Alcohol is full of sugar so when we come off it, we crave the sugar as a natural substitute oftentimes. I tried when I first made a real effort to stop after a few hospitalizations to quit everything at the same time. Booze, cigarettes, sugar, caffeine etc....I nearly lost my mind. I heard a guy once say, start with what kills you the quickest and work your way down with the booze and/or drugs going first.

• Advertisement

Soda water or soda water with lime. Or bitter lemon. Basically the cheap mixers in supermarkets.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Tesco do delicious and refreshing fruit juice drinks (Tropical, pineapple, etc) and they are very reasonably priced and can be diluted with water.

Advertisement