Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Recommend a sailing course in Northside Dublin?

Options
  • 25-08-2019 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭

Hi!

I hope you are all well.
    I am looking at doing a sailing course somewhere on the Northside of Dublin.
    I am in my early 40's and am thinking it would be a fun and sociable thing to do at the weekend...

Can you recommend a good sailing school or course?
    I am looking at doing it over the Autumn and even Winter, probably at the weekends...

Is it a good way to meet people?
    I have a lot of experience kayaking, fishing on rivers and lakes etc... So i am comfortable on any boat really and can swim quite well😄

Thanks for reading!

A

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Howth yacht club have a programme called quest. Lots of sailing outside the courses going on to that if your keen and competent you'll get on a boat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Arequipa

Hi Neris! Thanks for the reply... I will check them out... Howth would be a perfect location for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

Thank you mate...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Van Doozy

I know you specifically said North Dublin but thought I would throw this out there anyway, the INSS in Dun Laoghaire do very good short sailing courses for adults - I was well into my 30's and decided I'd try sailing for the craic and got on very well there and still sail in Dun Laoghaire.

Once you get your beginner course done (2 days over a weekend) you can go club sailing with their club INSC which is kind of like a 'sister' organisation which they run in parallel with the sailing school.

It's quite a casual, pay as you go type sailing club, which is very good value for money and you don't need to tie in with crew or commit to anything - you can just show up on a Saturday and go sailing when you want - they organise it all - so it really suits newbies and people who aren't already connected.

It's near the dart so if Dun Laoghaire is an option for you I would consider this.

• Advertisement

Morning! Thank you for the Dun Laoghaire recommendation...
    Howth is a lot closer, but i could easily get to Dun Laoghaire on the Dart...
    Would Dun Laoghaire be one of the best value options?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

I worked for the INSS about 25 years ago, and they were a great school to work for. (I worked there on my summer holidays from school, teaching the adults and also the VEC program that they ran back then).

Location wise Dun Laoghaire is a superb area to sail around as the harbour offers so much protection when the wind blows, while also being extremely scenic.

They still have availability on 21st September for their taster course;
    Yacht Sailing Taster Course: 2019 Dates...
    Courses run on Saturdays (10am-1pm) or Sundays (2-5pm). Course fee: €49.

Course 10: Sunday 25th August - Course Fully Booked
    Course 11: Saturday 21st September
    Course 12: Sunday 22nd September - Course Fully Booked

3 hours of Saturday morning sailing for €49, seems a great deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Van Doozy

I didn't bother do the taster at the time - I just went straight in and did the 2 days :cool:

Do you think these sailing courses are fairly sociable & a good way to meet people?

Advertisement