Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"How was that their highest charting single?"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Until 1996 the Prodigy's highest charter was "Everybody in the Place" which reached #2 in 1992 behind the reissue of Bohemian Rhapsody. "Out of Space" only reached #5 while "No Good (Start the Dance)" got to #4.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Also, "Give Him a Ball and a Yard of Grass" was never released as a single.

Included on the Stupid Kid EP
    Both it and Where's Me Jumper reached the dizzy heights of #67 in the UK.
    Veronica was #69.

While Where's Me Jumper didn't come out until early 1992, Virgin Megastore were selling promo 10" copies from the end of November 1991. 10 ATHY 01P.

Def Leppard's Hysteria (released August 1987) was massive with singles from it released into 1989.

But their biggest hit remains 1992's Let's Get Rocked which peaked at #2

Billy Ray Cyrus is probably best-known for his 1992 monster hit "Achy Breaky Heart", which reached #3 in the UK, #2 in Ireland and #4 in his native US. However, will his recent chart topping collaboration "Old Town Road", with Lil' Nas X, be as well remembered in years to come? That song reached #1 in no fewer than 13 countries, including the three just mentioned!

The reformed Jonas Brothers only recently scored their first ever UK top 10 single with "Sucker". "SOS", "Burning Up", "Paranoid" and "Lovebug" all charted between #13 and #92.

• Advertisement

Peterborough, Cambridgeshire dance music group Shades of Rhythm are best remembered for their 1991 rave anthem "Sounds of Eden", which peaked at #35 and has been heavily remade and remixed over the years in genres as diverse as garage and electro house. However, their highest charting single was the #16 hit "Extacy".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

joeguevara wrote: »
    Prince only had 1 uk number 1 when alive and it wasn’t 1999.

Last Christmas by wham never made number 1 (at least while George was alive. Not sure after).

Bittersweet symphony one of the most iconic songs ever by the verve was kept at number 2 by puff daddy ( I think)

And most shocking of all, The Who,s my generation was kept off the top spot by the carnival is over. Disgraceful.

I have no idea of the chart positions, but it annoys me when a great artist's best known song is terrible compared to the rest of their output:

Prince: Most beautiful girl in the world
    Stevie Wonder: I just called to say I love you.
    Bjork: it's oh so quiet.

They've had 2 UK number ones, the other being the much better remembered "Country House".

Another one for my list

Buddy Holly's only UK #1 was not "Oh Boy" or "That'll Be the Day" but rather "It Doesn't Matter Anymore".

Big Country's highest charting single is "Look Away" which peaked at #7 in 1986. "In a Big Country" only peaked at #17 and Fields of Fire (400 Miles) at #10.

• Advertisement

Def Leppard's Hysteria (released August 1987) was massive with singles from it released into 1989.

But their biggest hit remains 1992's Let's Get Rocked which peaked at #2

"When Love & Hate Collide" from 1995 reached #2 as well. Animal was their only other domestic top 10 hit, reaching #6. HOW did Pour Some Sugar on Me only reach #18?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I don't know if it was their most popular single but the most viewed Slipknot song on Youtube is Psychosocial from 2008, you would have expected one of the early 2000s songs to be the most viewed as their best sellig album was from 1999

I don't know if it was their most popular single but the most viewed Slipknot song on Youtube is Psychosocial from 2008, you would have expected one of the early 2000s songs to be the most viewed as their best sellig album was from 1999

Their highest charting British single is "Duality" which got to #15 in 2004.

Crowded House's biggest UK hit is "Weather with You" which is quite well-known. However, it's crazy to think that "Don't Dream It's Over" only reached #27 (#25 when reissued in 1996).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Genesis' biggest UK hit was Mama which reached no. 4. Better known I Can't Dance reached no. 7 while Invisible Touch only reached no. 15.

Invisible Touch did make no. 1 in the US where (in a good music quiz question) it was knocked off the top by their former frontman Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer. Any other examples of a band being knocked off no. 1 by a former member (or vice-versa)?

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭gabria

"Come back and stay" "Everytime you go away" and "Love of the Common People" all made UK top 5 and are quintessential Paul Young numbers.

For some reason his only number 1 "Wherever I lay my hat" does not seem to be as memorable.

gabria wrote: »
    "Come back and stay" "Everytime you go away" and "Love of the Common People" all made UK top 5 and are quintessential Paul Young numbers.

For some reason his only number 1 "Wherever I lay my hat" does not seem to be as memorable.
    It's still quite well known. Did you know that it was originally a Marvin Gaye song?

It's on the first Now album too. Ends side 2.
    Every Time You Go Away had the honour of closing side 1 of Now 5.

Gerry Ryan's late night show 10pm - midnight was brilliant. Especially came of age during 1984 and 1985. He used to play the different mixes of Two Tribes as they came out (drip fed to keep it at #1). One night played the entire Keep The Peace cassette single. And in 1985 when Paul Hardcastle's 19 came out, he spun a couple of the 12" mixes, Destruction and The Final Story. His show The Twelve Inches Of Christmas (aired Christmas night) was very memorable. I think I still have the 1985 one taped in my parents' house on a E120.

British Sea Power are an indie rock band from Cumbria. They are best known for their 2008 song "Waving Flags" which, in 2008, peaked at #31 in the UK.

However, their 2005 single "It Ended on an Oily Stage" actually outcharted it, peaking at #18.

• Advertisement

Tanita Tikarim's most well known single is Twist In My Sobriety which reached #22 in 1988. But the previous single Good Tradition peaked at #10. You rarely hear it nowadays.

Tanita Tikarim's most well known single is Twist In My Sobriety which reached #22 in 1988. But the previous single Good Tradition peaked at #10. You rarely hear it nowadays.

I would've thought good tradition was the most well known.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Chuck Berry had only a single No 1 hit in the US top 100, "my ding a ling" in 1972!

Seal's best known song is probably "Kiss from a Rose" from the Batman Forever soundtrack. That peaked at #20 in 1994 and #4 when re-released in 1995. Although, many would be surprised to learn that his 1991 single, "Crazy", actually outpeaked KFAR as his highest-charting solo* single, reaching #2.

*Killer with Adamski got to #1.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Seal's best known song is probably "Kiss from a Rose" from the Batman Forever soundtrack. That peaked at #20 in 1994 and #4 when re-released in 1995. Although, many would be surprised to learn that his 1991 single, "Crazy", actually outpeaked KFAR as his highest-charting solo* single, reaching #2.

*Killer with Adamski got to #1.

I'd have said "Killer" was his best known followed by "Crazy", but then I'm from that era. You're probably more likely to hear KFAR on the radio these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭LordBasil

Interesting to look at U2s Number 1s in the UK - Desire (1988), The Fly (1991), Discotheque (1997), Beautiful Day (2000) & Vertigo (2004) - not generally considered their most memorable/best songs, except maybe BD.

Most of their well known/signature songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday, New Years's Day, Pride, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, With or Without You, Where The Streets Have No Name, One didn't reach UK Number 1 but some of them hit the top spot in other countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭BOSTIK

German Europop giants Modern Talking's signature song "You're My Heart, You're My Soul" reached a lofty no. 56 in the UK Singles Chart back in 1985. A remixed version was released in 1998 which failed to reach the UK charts but got to no. 8 here.

The inferior "Brother Louie" gave them a no. 4 UK hit in 1986. It made no. 2 in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

Gerry Ryan's late night show 10pm - midnight was brilliant. Especially came of age during 1984 and 1985. He used to play the different mixes of Two Tribes as they came out (drip fed to keep it at #1). One night played the entire Keep The Peace cassette single. And in 1985 when Paul Hardcastle's 19 came out, he spun a couple of the 12" mixes, Destruction and The Final Story. His show The Twelve Inches Of Christmas (aired Christmas night) was very memorable. I think I still have the 1985 one taped in my parents' house on a E120.

When Jack You Body went to #1 Ryan dissed it as not proper music and callers had to explain house music to him.

McGaggs wrote: »
    I would've thought good tradition was the most well known.

The upcoming Even More Forgotten '80s from the Now team includes Good Tradition.

• Advertisement

vriesmays wrote: »
    When Jack You Body went to #1 Ryan dissed it as not proper music and callers had to explain house music to him.

A very disappointing stance to take. I bought it in early 1987, very little promotion, knew every little about house music (bar Love Can't Turn Around on Now Dance '86) but it sounded great. Although it was the #1 that shouldn’t have been. The 12″ that was over 25 minutes long, exceeding the maximum time for a record to be classified as a single. Instead it should have been treated as an album. If so, during the two weeks it spent at number one, Jackie Wilson’s Reet Petite would have been topped the charts for a fifth week while I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me) would then have hit the summit seven days earlier.

Advertisement