Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

letting 6 year old son go out and play

• 13-06-2019 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

i let my son play outside for an hour or two but im very nervous to let him out as there are older boys who try and get him and another boy to punch each other. im always very nervous about him going outside. am i the only person who feels like this .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Is there any way to invite some of the boys/girls he's friends with to play in the garden, to avoid the two nasty older boys?
    They're less likely to harass him in his own garden, he gets to play with his friend and you can keep a closer eye?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

halo4 wrote: »
    i let my son play outside for an hour or two but im very nervous to let him out as there are older boys who try and get him and another boy to punch each other. im always very nervous about him going outside. am i the only person who feels like this .

Go out and speak to the older boys and tell them you are aware of what they are doing . Warn them that if they continue you will be knocking in to their parents . If that doesn't seem to rattle them then you will be speaking to the Garda liason officer . Your boy has a right to be out without being harassed and bullied

• Registered Users Posts: 3 halo4

i have said it to them so has the other parent they are just a law onto themselves and no point saying to the parents because they dont care. i hate that i feel so nervous about him playing outside. we do things ourselves as a family to avoid him going outside most of the time .

i have said it to them so has the other parent they are just a law onto themselves and no point saying to the parents because they dont care. i hate that i feel so nervous about him playing outside. we do things ourselves as a family to avoid him going outside most of the time .
    Speak to the liason officer in the Garda station and ask for advice
    Do you have a garden ?The two boys could play there .
    Failing that I would tell them he has an older cousin who is watching them and he will be very angry

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

Maybe I’m misreading this but it sounds like one older boy is trying to get your son and another boy to hit each other ? Have you spoken to his ( other affected boy ) parents? Have they broached the boys parents?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Don't let him outside if he's not going to be safe. I know there seems to be a view among some that children are too wrapped up and we all were let out to roam from morning to evening and it was just peachy. I have a nearly six year old and he plays where I can see him. He doesn't need to be out playing with older children who might physically or verbally abuse him. A six year old doesn't need this kind of stress.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'd just tell my son to keep away from the other kid, that's looking to get him to fight. Why does your's keep going up to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So it sounds like you live on an area where it’s unsuitable to let a six yo out unsupervised. Your not going to be able stop these older kids causing grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

What age would most recommend as being suitable to let a kid out to play by themselves? Do you think it depends on the area? I have a 6 year old and I don't let him out to play by himself yet.

OP I would supervise his playing in this case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Stand at the bottom of the driveway and keep an eye on him. For traffic aswell as the older lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

I'm assuming this is an estate or a street?
    Then, how do you expect a 6 year old to be safe when he's unsupervised?
    Do you have a yard or back garden?
    What's wrong with your child playing there under parental supervision?
    He can play with his toys, with siblings or you invite a child into your controlled environment where he isn't in contact with anyone else without adult supervision.
    He's 6. He can't be responsible for his own safety.

To thine own self be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I'm assuming this is an estate or a street?
    Then, how do you expect a 6 year old to be safe when he's unsupervised?
    Do you have a yard or back garden?
    What's wrong with your child playing there under parental supervision?
    He can play with his toys, with siblings or you invite a child into your controlled environment where he isn't in contact with anyone else without adult supervision.
    He's 6. He can't be responsible for his own safety.

Totally agree.
    Can't understand how the OP would even consider letting his son out on the street on his own.

Apart from traffic and bullying, abduction is a real risk.

Totally agree.
    Can't understand how the OP would even consider letting his son out on the street on his own.

The OP didn't actually say it was on a street . They said he was out to play . It could be a green or a play area of an apartment block

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

Totally agree.

Ah come on, where I live there are kids of all ages running around from morning to night. It's great to see, always a few parents in the front gardens keeping an eye out. Kids should be allowed out to learn how to be independent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I read the title and only came to see how many posts the OP had made?

Am I just to cynical to say that to me the title shouted weekend rereg?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Keep an eye out for next time you see those lads bothering your child.
    When it happens run out and give them a bollocking. That’s all. They’ll leave it out.
    If you’re stressed like this your child is no doubt picking up on it. You don’t want that at all.
    You neither should have to go through this but if you allow it, it will continue.
    It’s that simple.
    Kid deserves a happy carefree childhood. Don’t let anyone of any age under any circumstances get in the way of that or disrupt it.

Hope the situation is resolved soon and you can both relax

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

my3cents wrote: »
    I read the title and only came to see how many posts the OP had made?

Am I just to cynical to say that to me the title shouted weekend rereg?
    Peatys wrote: »
    I sometimes think the owners/operators of the site post threads they know will spilt opinion.

Gotta get them clicks

Any concerns about the sincerity of a post/thread, report the post. Please keep it off thread becuase it does nothing to encourage discussion. If anything these kind of comments are stifling.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Keep an eye out for next time you see those lads bothering your child.
    When it happens run out and give them a bollocking. That’s all. They’ll leave it out.
    If you’re stressed like this your child is no doubt picking up on it. You don’t want that at all.
    You neither should have to go through this but if you allow it, it will continue.
    It’s that simple.
    Kid deserves a happy carefree childhood. Don’t let anyone of any age under any circumstances get in the way of that or disrupt it.

Hope the situation is resolved soon and you can both relax
    Talk about inflamming a situation.
    What would you do if you saw another adult giving your child a 'bollocking'?

To thine own self be true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

Talk about inflamming a situation.
    What would you do if you saw another adult giving your child a 'bollocking'?

I’d confront them and tell them (OP already has told them) to get their kid to give it the fvck up or next time it happens I’m calling the Gardaí. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,092 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

abduction is a real risk.

Is there many kids been abducted here, I wouldn't have thought so.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Totally agree.

Depends on where you live. Where I live there's none of those risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MountainAshIRL

We live in an estate with a mix of aged kids, they all play out on the green. Myself and the other parents have taught our kids to be safe, watch for cars etc. This is very beneficial for development. In general we let the kids sort out their problems/fights themselves, again excellent for development.

Only you as the parent can assess whether where you live is safe to let him out to play and know his level of safety awareness, you must also take the time to teach safety and responsibility.

Are the older kids being mean or just play fighting? Does your son enjoy playing with them or upset by it?

Its mainly boys in my estate and they are typical boys, play fighting, wrestling each other and generally messer boys. They have been given the freedom to play as the wish, within limits, and so they have learned to respect each other and understand that if you are play fighting with someone smaller or bigger then you need to adjust how you behave. Of course there is still the occasional falling out or someone getting hurt but that's part of being a childhood and important experiences to have

I'm glad they have the opportunity to play pretty much by themselves. Lots of new research is showing the importance of unstructured and semi unsupervised play for the good development of social skills

• Registered Users Posts: 3 halo4

thank u all for your replys. sorry i didnt say thanks sooner as a family member passed away. things have got abit better my son can go out and play but i keep an eye :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Our older kid I used to go out with him when he was 6 or 7.
    He was shy. He is nine now and usually doesn't want me anywhere near him when he is outside.

Could you pop out with them? Bring a Football or something?

Advertisement