Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

MRI for 3 year old

• 08-05-2019 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

My 3 year old has been referred for an MRI, he will need to be knocked out for it. I rang Crumlin who said its a 24month wait. Public/ private its the same wait list. Any one know anywhere private in Ireland that will do an MRI on a child with anaesthetic? Anywhere so far ive tried does not offer MRIs for children who need sedation .Willing to travel north/ south for this.
    Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

2 yr wait for a MRI Jesus Christ , I'd get a loan, sell a car find somewhere abroad rather than wait 2yrs.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Have you tried the Beacon? I've never had one of my kids there for an MRI, but my son has been there for a couple of procedures and I've always found them really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

This place does MRI’s in a few different locations. I don’t know if they do them on kids but it would be worth giving them a call.

https://www.affidea.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭polydactyl

No where is the answer I’m afraid. The Paeds anaesthetic consultants don’t tend to do private scans. The problem is lack of consultants (who are not off doing private) they have advertised for over a year for 2 new posts in temple st and Crumlin and got no one as the pay difference for any consultant employed after Oct 2012v pre Oct 2012 for the Exact same job is 50% so no one is taking the posts hence the huge waiting lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jimmers23

Its a joke. I nearly cried. I have sent emails to some UK hospitals and have some generally positive feedback. A Birmingham hospital replied so far giving an 8 week waiting period. I will follow up with his consultant tomorrow regarding the referral letters needed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Apparently there are only two places that do them on younger kids, it's the sedation that's the issue.We have so many problems in our health system, beggars belief.Hopefully you find somewhere soon OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 willyou

The Bon Secours in cork do MRI for children under sedation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

My 3 year old needs one too. From the time I was told they'd need it, until the date of the actual app is 13 months. Tallaght hospital.

Our Consultant told us, to get it done quicker, sometimes they'll bring the kid in as an inpatient for a couple of days. That way they'll do it quicker.

I will get in touch with bon secours in cork tomorrow and get consultant to make a referral. Thanks everyone, you have been a great help. Pity the health system is such a mess

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Bitches Be Trypsin

Get it done without a GA? Strong sedative should be enough really!

• Advertisement

That would be ideal, he has a developmental delay, so will go with whatever they recommend. Delighted there is an option in Ireland other than waiting 24 months for Crumlin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Can’t help with the info of where, but just make sure the information you’ve been given regarding the GA is right. My son had a CT scan (I know it’s different from an MRI, he had one of those too and was supposed to have sedation but I can’t recall if he did, he was so small he might have slept). But for the CT I got a letter that he had to fast and be sedated and I was in a knot about how to fast a breastfed baby etc. Until I mentioned it to a friend who works in crumlin and said it’s not their policy and so I called temple street and turned out the letters are just issued, no one had updated them! I was in knots worried about fasting and sedation and neither were required

Great, thanks for the tip.. I'll make sure to mention it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I think the beacon will do this
    They have a paediatric section

Afraid The Beacon don't provide this service, I rang them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Might a two year wait be allowable on the Treatment Abroad Scheme?

https://www2.hse.ie/services/treatment-abroad-scheme/treatment-abroad-scheme.html

polydactyl wrote: »
    No where is the answer I’m afraid. The Paeds anaesthetic consultants don’t tend to do private scans. The problem is lack of consultants (who are not off doing private) they have advertised for over a year for 2 new posts in temple st and Crumlin and got no one as the pay difference for any consultant employed after Oct 2012v pre Oct 2012 for the Exact same job is 50% so no one is taking the posts hence the huge waiting lists.

Absolutely disgraceful for all of us. And a slight feeling of being conned for those of us who pay extra for health insurance that says it covers MRIs for kids. I'm very surprised given I, an adult, got an MRI within a day on the private health insurance so I assumed it would be a similar service for kids if they had the same health insurance policy as their parents.

I know it's kind of hard to believe..I had a busy day Friday and by the time I got to ring the office was closed. I'll get on to it tomorrow and update ye. thank you all

Rang Dr. Lynch's office in Cork. They confirmed that MRI's for our particular needs would only take place under the sane public/private system in Dublin. Will have to look into Uk in more detail

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I know this is no good to you, but a lady in my sons class brought her son to Poland for one. (She's Polish) She was waiting on a number of appointments so she got them all done there and for the referrals translated for here.

• Advertisement

Great thank you for that. Absolutely ridiculous in 2019.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,891 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

It's the sedation.Health Insurance may cover kids MRIs but if you look at fine print it will most likely be age 7 and over, as with most private companies.Look in NI or the UK.It is infuriating, but it's not the MRI exactly that's the issue, its the sedation.

Yes that seems to be the issue. Just have to look at other avenues now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I had my little one's mri last year in tallaght that was with a 26 month wait ,the lady who did the MRI said they more or less only do MRIs for public list patients one or two days a week ,

Gatling I hope the MRI went well. I know its not an emergency but I'm not happy waiting a very long time. Just would rather get it done sooner than later

jimmers23 wrote: »
    Rang Dr. Lynch's office in Cork. They confirmed that MRI's for our particular needs would only take place under the sane public/private system in Dublin. Will have to look into Uk in more detail

What does the child need the MRI for? Or what is the suspected illness associated with it?

Possible form of cerebral palsy as a cause of a developmental delay. All genetic blood tests and screenings have not yielded any answers. Consultant feels this is the next step

Possible form of cerebral palsy as a cause of a developmental delay. All genetic blood tests and screenings have not yielded any answers. Consultant feels this is the next step

I see. So an MRI of the brain?
    My child is awaiting one of the abdomen.
    Did you try Tallaght hospital? My child's total waiting time there is 13 months. Only another 9 months to wait now.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gemma1982

I’m not much help to you - can only send sympathy. We were also told wait in crumlin for a brain mri would be two years but it ended up be a 15month so not quite as bad as advised. The one good thing about the wait is that apparently a brain mri at around age two is more informative than an earlier one when it comes to assessing developmental delay. The worry during the wait is very tough though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭Beanybabog

Am I right in saying the MRI would just lead to a diagnosis? Treatment such as physio wouldn’t change? I was told regardless of the MRI it’s the development that’s important, and different consultants gave different opinions to how valuable they’re are.

God reading this thread I’m shocked, when my son had his we were told we might have to wait over the weekend for the MRI but got it done straight away (day 2 of hospital admission). I was told they were busy but had no idea how busy and I was lucky to get it done (he was very ill).

Advertisement