Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overshoes or Goretex boots for winter cycling..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Just wrecked another pair of Endura overshoes and got very little mileage out of them at all...zips busting and tearing them with scuff marks on the neoprene etc etc...

Might just bite the bullet with a pair of Shimano goretex boots...
    Anyone got any first hand experience..or a better suggestion would be appreciated.
    Poxy looking but sick of buying the overshoes if they dont work out I can use them on the mtb I suppose...

https://www.cyclestore.ie/shimano_mw7_goretex_spd_shoes-ID_67913?c=EUR&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInqPj-Mve3wIV7bftCh3qtgdmEAQYAyABEgJ0jvD_BwE

No experience of those type of boots, apart from holding a few pairs in my hands. My impression is overshoes and good socks are far better. Goretex isnt something that really keeps you warm in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I've boots and tbh if my legs weren't sooo skinny (which therefore make the boots look like moon boots on me) I'd wear them a lot more in the winter. They're fur lined too so pretty good for warmth.

If you happen to be a 9 and want to try them out you're welcome to. I've listed them here a couple of times with no bites so they're just sitting there looking a bit sad at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,937 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I have both the Shimano boots and NorthWest boots. Wouldn't go back to shoes and overshoes now - boots are much better.

Shimano ones are warmer than the NorthWest ones but the NorthWest ones are more waterproof.

Both are warmer and more waterproof than shoes and overshoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Mrs bought shimano boots recently for commuting and loves them. She can hose em down after a spin at the same time as the bike and stay bone dry.

Doesn't matter what overshoes you wear, they'll only fight the good water fight for so long before the inevitable seepage

Think these be them:

https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=107195

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Frankirish

I'm using Northwave Celsius Winter boots for the last 4 years and they are great. This year I bought a set of Spatz over shoes in Cyclesuperstore, they cost me €95 but worth every penny. I use them over the winter boots. The boots on there own are fine, but will let in water after a short period of time, and on long winter rides of 3hrs + your toes do start to suffer from the cold. With the Spatz this hasn't happened so far this year. I know the weather is mild for this time of year, but I have had a few wet & windy rides so I can speak from experience. I put the spatz on over my socks, they actually go right up to my knee completely covering my socks. Then I put my winter bib tights on over them. And finally I put on my boots. The Spatz are very easy to put on and take off. By wearing them inside my bib tights my socks doesn't come in contact with my wet bib tights so no rain water gets transfered/soaked into my boots via my socks. My boots are always dry no mater what the weather. There is always a little dampness from the build up of sweat but nothing like getting wet from the rain or road spray from the front wheel. So if I was you and if you can aford it buy both the winter boot and spatz overshoe..........you wont regret it!

https://www.spatzwear.com/

I bought the SPATZ 'Pro' Overshoes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

Just wrecked another pair of Endura overshoes and got very little mileage out of them at all...zips busting and tearing them with scuff marks on the neoprene etc etc...

Anyone got any first hand experience..or a better suggestion would be appreciated.
    Poxy looking but sick of buying the overshoes if they dont work out I can use them on the mtb I suppose...

https://www.cyclestore.ie/shimano_mw7_goretex_spd_shoes-ID_67913?c=EUR&gclid=EAIaIQobChMInqPj-Mve3wIV7bftCh3qtgdmEAQYAyABEgJ0jvD_BwE

I wear an older version of these : https://www.cyclestore.ie/shimano_xm9_spd_shoes-ID_67920

I've found them to be by far the most effective for winter cycling combined with walking about. They're good enough as walking boots that I would happily use them to climb mountains (Proper leather goretex boots with Vibram soles... they genuinely are specced well enough for the job). They look normal enough that I can wear them as everyday footwear (I'm not exactly fashion concious).

As cycling shoes, well they work fine as SPDs. Probably not quite as precise as a "proper" race pair, but more than good enough for commuting and non-race cycling. I've used them in big multiday adventure races though.

Over the years I've found that these are massively superior to overshoes in terms of waterproofness and resilieance in the long term. I've been using the same pair for a long time, maybe 5 years plus, and they're still functioning perfectly. I have used them on snowy MTB spins, and they were way way warmer than any other shoe/overshoe combination I tried. I've never had cold toes/feet in these commuting.

Will replace like for like whenever the time comes. The last pair were replaced when I wore out the cleats (eggbeaters), and the bolts had siezed in. The shoes themselves were still good. Must have got about 7 years out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Fizic Artic R5 winter shoes and Spatz “Road man” knew high overshoes.

Quite impressed so far, although it’s been pretty mild so far this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

If you need to keep feet dry or warm using overshoes to adapt a summer shoe (designed to lose heat) always seemed a bit daft to me.

If your bike will take it a front mudguard with a flap (home made or otherwise) is the lowest hanging fruit by a mile.

I've a pair of Northwave winter boots, Celsius or farenheit, I can't remember and they are excellent. The only weakness is water ingress at top in biblical rain. I made up some cuff when I knew very heavy rain was due.

Haven't worn them in 2 years; way less long stuff and I don't really feel the cold

For a commuter I'd seriously consider flats with studs and fiveten type shoes/boots

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Thanks for the replies...
    Will check CSS tomorrow for the Shinanos and Spatz (can only imagine i’ll be ripping them too)with a trip to Base2Race after seen Northwave ones there last week..
    Have full lenght mud guards on so have that covered...
    Mr Spuckler thanks for the offer but 9 would be too small for me..

ford2600 wrote: »
    If you need to keep feet dry or warm using overshoes to adapt a summer shoe (designed to lose heat) always seemed a bit daft to me......
    Yes, before I had boots, I used to cover the vents on the sole with heavy duty duct tape.

Another ad hoc option is to cut several layers of tin foil to the shape of the insoles and place under them during a ride. Usually will only last for one ride but it does make a difference.

....and of course, use wool socks instead of cotton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

TIBAO boots

I ordered a pair of these start of Nov for commuter boots, delivered in 4 weeks.
    Toasty warm and waterproof. Much easier than fiddling about with overshoes and toe covers.
    So juch so that I'm tempted to get another set of nicer boots for weekend spins and ditch the overshoes completely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Plastik

I bought a pair of Northwave boots a few winters ago and will never go back to a regular shoe/overshoe combo for wet/cold winter spins or commuting. Infinitely superior in almost every aspect in my experience. Almost, as the one area an overshoe may be more beneficial is the seal around the top of ankle which isn't as tight with the shoe and is more susceptible to water ingress from above. But other than the rare spin or three a year where that presents an actual pain in the arse, because if it's extremely wet and the boot fills with water it can't get back out without you taking them off and pouring it out, the boots do it for me every time. This must be the third winter I've had mine and they look like they'll do another three or four again easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭nilhg

I have a pair of the Shimano RW5 boots, find them excellent, only issue is the usual one of wet coming in along the legs, one of the lads in the club has a fix for that he cuts the hands off marigold gloves and pulls the cuffs up his legs and rolls them back down over the top of the boots, he swears by it, haven't tried it myself yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Thanks for the replies...
    Will check CSS tomorrow for the Shinanos and Spatz (can only imagine i’ll be ripping them too)with a trip to Base2Race after seen Northwave ones there last week..
    Have full lenght mud guards on so have that covered...
    Mr Spuckler thanks for the offer but 9 would be too small for me..

Those spatz things look great but look like they'd be as difficult as a wetsuit to get on and off!

Grassey wrote: »
    ... I'm tempted to get another set of nicer boots for weekend spins and ditch the overshoes completely
    Don't ditch the overshoes. While boots are great in the winter when wearing tights/legwarmers, they don't look right with shorts so you'll still need the overshoes for wet rides in warmer months.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,005 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

also, if you're going to be doing multiple cycles using the same set of gear, overshoes are useful - most obviously on the commute. i leave them in my backpack, because a dry commute in does not mean a dry commute home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭AlanD

Add a pair of knee high sealskinz socks and you're all winter ready. Knee high so that spray doesn't roll down the inside of the sock.

I added sealskinz waterproof leg warmers to this combo for total waterproofing. Only change I had to make was to seal the seams with Fabsil spray Add overshoes to protect the good summer shoes and you're in business.

terrydel wrote: »
    Those spatz things look great but look like they'd be as difficult as a wetsuit to get on and off!

Surprisingly not! They are very pliable and you can either pull them up and down or roll them up or down. I notice on the packaging they state that they mustn't come in contact with your crank arms during cycling or they will prematurely ware through, that’s how soft the waterproof material is. So check your crank arms to make sure your cleats are positioned properly and you have no rubbing issues and you'll be good to go.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

I've specialized defroster boots. Used for roughly 10 mins to try them out. Hoping for a dip in temperature soon to give them a proper go.

Frankirish wrote: »
    Surprisingly not! They are very pliable and you can either pull them up and down or roll them up or down. I notice on the packaging they state that they mustn't come in contact with your crank arms during cycling or they will prematurely ware through, that’s how soft the waterproof material is. So check your crank arms to make sure your cleats are positioned properly and you have no rubbing issues and you'll be good to go.
    What's the sole like? Will they take a bit of wear caused by foot down at traffic lights, junctions etc.

• Advertisement

What's the sole like? Will they take a bit of wear caused by foot down at traffic lights, junctions etc.

There is only a velcro strap that goes under the shoe between the heel and cleat so there is minimal road contact if any. The heel section doesn't go below the sole and the toe part is keep off the road via your cleat.

Anyone using the Fizik Artica boot?

https://www.fizik.com/eu_en/artica-r5.html

Anyone using the Fizik Artica boot?

https://www.fizik.com/eu_en/artica-r5.html
    07 Lapierre - see post no.8 above.

07 Lapierre - see post no.8 above.

The word Spatz caught my eye and brain more than Fizik :D

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Fizic Artic R5 winter shoes and Spatz “Road man” knew high overshoes.

Quite impressed so far, although it’s been pretty mild so far this winter.

Lapierre
    The fact youre wearing spatz as well with these is that just for keeping the wet out completely?

No vents on the sole compared to the Northwave version I can only imagine your feet will sweat anyway??

Lapierre
    The fact youre wearing spatz as well with these is that just for keeping the wet out completely?

No vents on the sole compared to the Northwave version I can only imagine your feet will sweat anyway??

Yes. They work in tandem. Wearing the boots on their own means my feet can get cold. If I wear the Spatz over summer shoes, my feet get wet and cold!

I better mention that I really, really feel the cold, and my feet have never been sweaty while cycling. Fizic shoes and Spatz combined could be too warm for some people, but Not for me.

On a serious note having tried a few of the options above...IMO

Northwave...very difficult to put on...Looks just like a sock darned onto a road shoe...will take both cleats..vents on the sole...

Shimano M7’s..Big and bulky wont take a road cleat...a hardy boot to be fair

Shimano R5’s...nice price, a few air holes...will take both cleats road/mtb that is..again like a sock darned onto a shoe.

Spatz...back to overshoe scenario..rip no zips mind...like wellies

Fizik...back for another look tomorrow.....looking like a favorite but back to zips...

Specialized...must drop in the new shop and have a gander

I dont really suffer with the cold to be fair..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Any options for those of use that dont use cleat type pedals? i've bought overshoes but they dont really fit over my runners.

Mc Love wrote: »
    Any options for those of use that dont use cleat type pedals? i've bought overshoes but they dont really fit over my runners.

Get clipin pedals? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

Mc Love wrote: »

Buy mtb boots and dont put cleats on them, thats what i do.

Advertisement