Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's a good elevation gain to consider when looking for a hilly race?

• 14-02-2018 4:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Want to find a race that'll suit me and my climbing skills. What's a good elevation gain to consider and if anyone knows some races near the Midlands with a hill-top finish or if it's part of a lap, please throw it in. I know a few ones like the markievicz cup and the cycleways cup.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Des Hanlon Memorial might be the one for you so. Or the Shay Elliott?

You can come and do our race in september - I'm sure you'll be out of A4 by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,629 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Only one place to go.. De Ronde race late in year, nasty race!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Lacey Cup (Kerry), Newbridge GP (Kildare), Stamullen GP (Meath), Nenagh Classic (Tipperary), Des Hanlon (Carlow), Laragh Classic (Wicklow), Eddie Tobin (Wexford), Bob Crilly (Somewhere up north), Deenside (Carlow, I think), and the Shay Elliot (Wicklow), are all the hilly races that I know of.

If there are more than 100 metres elevation gain per 10km I would consider it a hilly race for Ireland. Assuming the courses for these races are the same as last year, only the Bob Crilly and Eddie Tobin are hilltop finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭nilhg

Lacey Cup (Kerry), Newbridge GP (Kildare), Stamullen GP (Meath), Nenagh Classic (Tipperary), Des Hanlon (Carlow), Laragh Classic (Wicklow), Eddie Tobin (Wexford), Bob Crilly (Somewhere up north), Deenside (Carlow, I think), and the Shay Elliot (Wicklow), are all the hilly races that I know of.

If there are more than 100 metres elevation gain per 10km I would consider it a hilly race for Ireland. Assuming the courses for these races are the same as last year, only the Bob Crilly and Eddie Tobin are hilltop finishes.

No Newbridge GP this year it seems

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1786072201423044&id=193903540639926

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭RowanHarley

Ok Jesus thanks for that list. That's handy! Does the Shay Eliot race go through the Wicklow mountains?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Ok Jesus thanks for that list. That's handy! Does the Shay Eliot race go through the Wicklow mountains?

I don't know if the route has been announced for this year, but it definitely goes over the Shay Elliot climb every year. This is last years A1/A2 route: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/19873137

Looking at the Des Hanlon memorial, the race seems like more of a race for the sprinters. The winner last year came through at 75km/h!

Edit: Nvm his gps readings were just off. He finished on a max of 56km/h I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Des Hanlon not a sprinter's race. Honestly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Des Hanlon not a sprinter's race. Honestly

Route is different to before; yes it still is hard but nothing like 5 years ago, or the 1980s when they went over Mt Leinster; the last 15km are downhill.

The A4 Des Hanlon will have a bunch sprint finish this year. I would put at least half my pocket money on that prediction.

JK.BMC wrote: »
    Route is different to before; yes it still is hard but nothing like 5 years ago, or the 1980s when they went over Mt Leinster; the last 15km are downhill.

The A4 Des Hanlon will have a bunch sprint finish this year. I would put at least half my pocket money on that prediction.

Ya, especially with the fact that A4 riders apparently chase down anyone looking to get away, according to my club mates. Although if you can get away on the last hill, there might be a small chance of pushing it on the descent and trying to hold them off. With a good long descent, if you've got the legs, you might manage it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

Ya, especially with the fact that A4 riders apparently chase down anyone looking to get away, according to my club mates. Although if you can get away on the last hill, there might be a small chance of pushing it on the descent and trying to hold them off. With a good long descent, if you've got the legs, you might manage it.

And if you can spin the 52x14 junior gears fast enough on the downhill then yes, one might manage to stay away from the senior A4s pushing 53x11 at about 65kmh through Killeshin.

When you get a chance, google the cadence/leg speed needed to ride that fast on junior gears. Not sure what it is myself. I assume you have the proper junior gearing? Max gear is 52x14. You won't be able to race without it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Apologies. Didn't realise it had changed

And if you can spin the 52x14 junior gears fast enough on the downhill then yes, one might manage to stay away from the senior A4s pushing 53x11 at about 65kmh through Killeshin.

When you get a chance, google the cadence/leg speed needed to ride that fast on junior gears. Not sure what it is myself. I assume you have the proper junior gearing? Max gear is 52x14. You won't be able to race without it.

Ya, my new bike came with the junior gearing on it.

Also, looking at the cadence there, if they held 100 rpm, I'd match their speed at 130 rpm.

Advertisement