Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice on purchasing new bike

• 05-12-2014 5:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

hi, looking for advice on purchasing my first road bike, going to get something from the giant defy range. I was told to go for the defy 1 with the shimano 105 groupset but I am finding it hard it justify the money on my first bike. Is there much of a difference between the sora,claris, tiagra and 105 groupsets. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

There's a big difference between 105 and Claris.

But will you appreciate the difference? Hard to say. I do know that you'll want to upgrade soon enough, so you may as well get the 105.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭nak

JR23 wrote: »
    hi, looking for advice on purchasing my first road bike, going to get something from the giant defy range. I was told to go for the defy 1 with the shimano 105 groupset but I am finding it hard it justify the money on my first bike. Is there much of a difference between the sora,claris, tiagra and 105 groupsets. Thanks in advance.

Choice of 11speed with 105, new version is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Tiagra is perfectly fine. You lose 1 gear but you will still have the same extremes of high and low gears.

I'd rather have the extra gear but it's hard to justify the extra money. Next groupset I buy will be 11 speed but I amn't rushing to upgrade from my current Tiagra. It's no big deal. The other differences are brake shoes that can take replacable inserts but you can get those for a tenner from chainreaction anyway for your tiagra setup. Also gear cables that go under the bar-tape. That's just aesthetic.

Sora is again fine but only 9 gears.

I think the higher up you go in the groupsets the less you get for your extra cash. You'll be OK with any of them.

Personally, if you can reasonably afford the Tiagra or 105 then I would. I can't justify them though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

I only got my defy 1 about two weeks ago. Fantastic bike. Go for it you won't regret it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭JR23

thanks for the advice guys, would a complete novice like me even notice the difference between the groupsets, is it smoothness, weight, toughness?

• Advertisement

I only got my defy 1 about two weeks ago. Fantastic bike. Go for it you won't regret it!

maybe in a couple of weeks ill be in the same boat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

JR23 wrote: »
    thanks for the advice guys, would a complete novice like me even notice the difference between the groupsets, is it smoothness, weight, toughness?

I don't know Claris but between Sora, Tiagra and 105 it's a small weight difference and number of gears.

The weight difference is unimportant IMO - it's a few hundred grams.

The extra gears means that you can have slightly small jumps between some of the gears. As gears are all whole numbers - there's no half a tooth on a cassette - then it usually means that there's one extra gear where otherwise there wouldn't be. So maybe instead of going from 13 to 15 teeth, you'd go 13,14,15, resulting in a smaller jump in effort at that one single place in the cassette.

Many people run a 11-28 on their 11 speed, which means that they actually have the identical gearing as I have on my 12-28 cassette, just they also have an 11 gear. Which I don't care about.

It's hard to explain but IMO, it's not important. I'd just like the extra gear because more is better. That's my only argument and why I'm not buying a new groupset until I run my 10 speed one into the ground!

I don't even notice the difference between my 9 and 10 speed bikes BTW.

[edit] Just to be clear, I'm only trying to give you info in reply to your questions. I definitely amn't arguing against the Defy 1. That's a lovely bike IMO and I'd be happy to have one. [/edit]

• Registered Users Posts: 23,249 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Are you getting it on the BTW scheme?

The cube peleton pro has the 11 speed 105 groupset. It would be cheaper than the giant and is a good bike.

ted1 wrote: »
    Are you getting it on the BTW scheme?

The cube peleton pro has the 11 speed 105 groupset. It would be cheaper than the giant and is a good bike.
    Yeah I'm getting it on the bike to work, never thought of cube, thanks ted!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

if you look at the defy 3 with sora vs. the defy 1 with 105, there's about 250 euro in the difference. For that you also get slightly better wheels and brakes (not sure how much better tbh). So there may be more to it an simply the group set.

I found the older ten speed 105 changed better than an early eight speed sora. I didn't really notice the extra two gears then but I suspect I would now.

On balance I'd spend the extra if I could afford it.

New bike - always a nice decision . I'm sure you'll enjoy either one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Just wondering, when you say you're a complete novice do you cycle any kind of bike at all at the moment? Are you looking to upgrade from a hybrid/MTB to a road bike or buying your first (adult) bike? The only reason I'm asking is that if you don't cycle and spend a grand on a bike and end up not liking it...... maybe better buying a second hand bike cheaper first to see how it goes. On the otherhand if you are cycling and buying to upgrade then I'd go with the 105.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Just wondering, when you say you're a complete novice do you cycle any kind of bike at all at the moment? Are you looking to upgrade from a hybrid/MTB to a road bike or buying your first (adult) bike? The only reason I'm asking is that if you don't cycle and spend a grand on a bike and end up not liking it...... maybe better buying a second hand bike cheaper first to see how it goes. On the otherhand if you are cycling and buying to upgrade then I'd go with the 105.

It'll will be my first road bike daroxtar, had a look for second hand ones but much out there for somebody 6'2"! I'm getting the bike on the bike to work scheme so it should bring the cost down.

Advertisement