Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Three beeps from smart card validator

• 02-07-2013 10:34pm

I've noticed in recent times that the Dublin Bus smart card validator beeps three times for some tickets (two short beeps, one long). I had never seen this before, it was usually just one long beep for a successful read or five short beeps for a failed read.

What do the three beeps mean? It's never happened to me and I suspected it might be a way of telling child and student tickets from adult tickets but I don't know for sure.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

This started around 6 weeks ago. But yeah it's only for certain cards, only got that for one of my cards.

It was a bit misleading at first, when I heard the first two beeps I suddenly pulled the card away and thought I was using an old one.

Which card do you use by the way? Because I use two different ones and I can't remember which one I got the new 3 beeps on.

I've only used adult Rambler tickets on it, 5 day or 30 day. They only beep once.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭dublinstevie

It makes that noise for student cards only.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

That was clever, changing the noise so it initially sounds like the card's not recognised...

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Joshycat

Karsini wrote: »
    I've noticed in recent times that the Dublin Bus smart card validator beeps three times for some tickets (two short beeps, one long). I had never seen this before, it was usually just one long beep for a successful read or five short beeps for a failed read.

What do the three beeps mean? It's never happened to me and I suspected it might be a way of telling child and student tickets from adult tickets but I don't know for sure.

Your right the three beeps are for when child/student tickets are used and the adult tickets still have the same long beep

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I do use a monthly bus/rail student ticket on the validator when I am in College.

The three beeps has become the norm every time when I use the bus for a while now.

Advertisement