Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gearing up for record breaking warmth from the 11th Nov ---->

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

That is amazing. Would that mean that it should be above 19c if you are up any of the Kerry mountains? I suppose that temp won't count though because nobody lives there.

That temperature is probably some Föhn warming in the lee of the Kerry mountains. The air warms at a rate of 9.8 km/km as it descends in the lee of the mountains, after losing some of its moisture on the upwind side. That's likely to be the strongest example of that we'll see today, as is where the most abundant moisture and highest mountains are found. We could see some in the lee of the Wicklow mountains too, but not as marked.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Casement, Gurteen and Valentia all are sub 80% RH... all three have high ground to the SE.

It will only happen if the air on the windward side becomes saturated (i.e. cloudy) and loses some of its moisture, otherwise there will be no net warming.

Temps at 1200:

Valentia 16.4
    Shannon 15.8
    Gurteen 15.2
    Finner 15.1
    Casement, Belmullet 15.0

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

Su Campu wrote: »
    Temps at 1200:

Valentia 16.4
    Shannon 15.8
    Gurteen 15.2
    Finner 15.1
    Casement, Belmullet 15.0

Dear god if only we had them temps today here.
    its east wind and feels about 4. and looksl ike rain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

According to Evelyn C on the radio forecast at 12.50 a new November was recorded today at Malin, 14c. She also said that the highest November temp ever recorded was 19.8c at Valentia in 1989 so the 20c recorded at Rathfarnham (mentioned around here last week) in 1946 is not an official temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

According to Evelyn C on the radio forecast at 12.50 a new November was recorded today at Malin, 14c. She also said that the highest November temp ever recorded was 19.8c at Valentia in 1989 so the 20c recorded at Rathfarnham (mentioned around here last week) in 1946 is not an official temperature.

Someone had ought to tell Met Éireann about that, then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

According to Evelyn C on the radio forecast at 12.50 a new November was recorded today at Malin, 14c.
    And this doesn't make the slightest bit of sense either.
    17.6C in 1997 at Malin Head.

16.2C with me today
    Highest November temp since.......4/11/10 :)
    17.6C that day.

Warmest today was Valentia on 17.3 °C. Shannon and Belmullet were next on 16.1 °C.

Cork Airport only reached 13.2 °C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Shannon and Belmullet were next on 16.1 °C.
    Belmullet 0.2C shy of the station record.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I did think that a temperature as low as 14c breaking a Nov record seemed odd at the time when Evelyn C said it? :confused:

I did think that a temperature as low as 14c breaking a Nov record seemed odd at the time when Evelyn C said it? :confused:

She wasn't talking about daily average, was she?

I think yesterday has further illustrated the point I was making about trying to get near 20 °C in mid November, despite very warm T850s, which were 10-12 °C over much of the country, as per this GFS analysis, and a Valentia sounding which gave 10.8 °C T850 at 06Z Sunday morning. Much of the country was devoid of low blankets of cloud, with mostly thin layers of mid-high level cloud, so we can't say that was the reason.

2011111318_3.gif

The only reason we got such warm 850 temps this far north at this time of the year was the strong southeasterly flow, but this very flow also led to mixing out of the boundary layer, dissipating whatever little heat that could be generated by the winter sunshine. Had that strong flow not been present, we would not have had that warm an airmass in the first place, and other factors would not have been strong enough to bring the temperatures up.

We did see Valentia get to 17.3 °C, most likely down to some Föhn warming in the lee of the Kerry mountains. As I showed, the temperature there yesterday morning was almost 20 °C at 500 metres, with low dewpoints too, typical of compressional warming. I have a feeling that that would have been the setup too that gave the 19.8 °C at Valentia in 1989 (anyone have an exact date?), and the 20.0 °C in Rathfarnham in 1946. That's the only way we can do it at this latitude at this time of the year - in a very localised way. The widespread max temps of 13 - 16 °C over the rest of the country backs up this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Everyone can discuss what they want ....... Fact is ... Its feckin lovely weather isn't it ? :D:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

16.6c at Midday in Valentia...not fully riz yet I'll wager. Obviously it will snow later today and for the next 4 months so enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

I'm getting 18.1 a short distance from Valentia. Don't know if its inaccuracy on my part, or maybe I'm in a pocket of warm air or something else weird but it certainly feels it outside. 1pm reports but Valentia at 17 degrees.

Another Föhn....I mean fine day at Valentia today, reaching 17.1 °C. The 12Z sounding showed another strong inversion of around 17 °C and hydrolapse at around 960 hPa.

2011111412.03953.stuve700.gif

At the moment the next best looks like Belmullet on 15.6 °C, then Mace Head on 14.6 °C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

The chart below shows the hourly temperature at Valentia Observatory (based on hourly synop readings from Ogimet) since the 1st of November to 18 UTC today. Also included is the hourly temperature readings for the same period in 2010 just for comparison:

181357.jpg

in contrast to last year, the linear temperature trend at Valentia for the first 14 days of November this year is actually rising. Interesting also that we had minimum reaching 2.0c by this stage in 2010 at the station but has yet to fall below 4.0c this November so far. As a result, the average hourly temperature for the period in question is running 1.5c higher this year than at the same stage in 2010:

2010: 10.1c
    2011: 11.6c

The reason for the higher temperatures this November at Valentia to date is mainly down to the frequency of southerly or southeasterly winds bringing in fairly mild and cloudy conditions overall.

The two tables below show the percentage frequency of wind direction at Valentia for the period both this year and in 2010:

181360.jpg181362.jpg

as the two badly put together tables above show, the dominant wind direction during the first half of November 2010 was SW'ly within a fairly consistent westerly flow; this year, the most frequent direction is, most unusually, SSE, itself a result of fairly strong high pressure systems over central Europe. Notable is the very low frequency of the more normal SW / W directions this year.

Relative humidity values are also down a little this year as compared to last. In 2010, the hourly average RH values at Valentia for the first 15 days in November was 83.8%, this year, tis' 79.1%. Sea level pressure also up a little this time around at the station, with a mean hourly value of 1001.2 hPa for the period last year, while this year sees it at 1005.2 hPa for the same.

In sum, November this year is warmer than November last year so far. :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

We did see Valentia get to 17.3 °C, most likely down to some Föhn warming in the lee of the Kerry mountains. As I showed, the temperature there yesterday morning was almost 20 °C at 500 metres, with low dewpoints too, typical of compressional warming. I have a feeling that that would have been the setup too that gave the 19.8 °C at Valentia in 1989 (anyone have an exact date?), and the 20.0 °C in Rathfarnham in 1946. That's the only way we can do it at this latitude at this time of the year - in a very localised way. The widespread max temps of 13 - 16 °C over the rest of the country backs up this point.

If you think it is not possible to get 20c in November you are wrong. A fohn effect is a legitimate recording. And with the temperature at Valentia recording 17.6c officially there was certainly a temperature close to 20c on the wayside of mountainous areas not recorded. And locally 19c was certainly reached. It was not a sunny day on Sunday in any case in any part of the country. I am satisfied and happy with my forecast. Too bad you want an "official" reading. Take local ones and stick to your convictions. ;)

darkman2 wrote: »
    If you think it is not possible to get 20c in November you are wrong. A fohn effect is a legitimate recording. And with the temperature at Valentia recording 17.6c officially there was certainly a temperature close to 20c on the wayside of mountainous areas not recorded. And locally 19c was certainly reached. It was not a sunny day on Sunday in any case in any part of the country. I am satisfied and happy with my forecast. Too bad you want an "official" reading. Take local ones and stick to your convictions. ;)

Firstly, it was 17.3 °C at Valentia. ;)

I said all along that the only way we can get 20 °C is by Föhn effect and no other way. You disputed that, saying that the flow this weekend would not be continental and would be "warm at all levels".

With the exception of a Föhn temperature, which still only reached 17.3 °C anyway, nowhere near 19 or 20, the rest of the country varied from 13.2 to 16.1 °C. The thread title is "Record breaking warmth", and later you said "still on for the blowtorch from Africa". What records were broken? And where was 19 °C locally reached? Show me a record of such, even in an "unofficial" location, eg. someone's back garden.

If you are satisfied and happy with that forecast then good for you.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Firstly, it was 17.3 °C at Valentia. ;)

I said all along that the only way we can get 20 °C is by Föhn effect and no other way. You disputed that

You were proved wrong and you refuse to accept that fact. You are trying to wriggle your way out by straying from my fundamental argument that you can get temperatures over 20c in November in Ireland. I provided you the records. You still maintain the fiction that you cannot. If you don't respect my argument why should I respect yours? You say I don't like people disagreeing with me? It does not bother me at all.

With the exception of a Föhn temperature, which still only reached 17.3 °C anyway, nowhere near 19 or 20, the rest of the country varied from 13.2 to 16.1 °C.

How many hours of sunshine did we have on Sunday?
    The thread title is "Record breaking warmth"

It could yet be record breaking in terms of the month as a whole.

and later you said "still on for the blowtorch from Africa".

Sarcasm is a wonderful thing.

What records were broken?

Patience.
    And where was 19 °C locally reached? Show me a record of such, even in an "unofficial" location, eg. someone's back garden.

I don't have to do that. Intuitively I am certain of it.
    If you are satisfied and happy with that forecast then good for you.

I am very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭Tom Cruises Left Nut

Where did I put my popcorn :D

darkman2 wrote: »
    You were proved wrong and you refuse to accept that fact. You are trying to wriggle your way out by straying from my fundamental argument that you can get temperatures over 20c in November in Ireland. I provided you the records. You still maintain the fiction that you cannot. If you don't respect my argument why should I respect yours? You say I don't like people disagreeing with me? It does not bother me at all.

I'm not doing the wriggling here. Maybe you misunderstood me. I said all along, and still do, that you can only get 20 C in mid Nopember under Föhn conditions. I never once said that that to do so is not a legitimate reading. You were making an argument that with warm 850 hPa temps, we could do it, and not only that, "potentially BREAK the 20 C mark". That was where I didn't agree.

How many hours of sunshine did we have on Sunday?

A max of 2.1 recorded hours recorded at Dublin Airport, however all will agree there were several hours of "milky" sunshine, for want of a better term. It was not exactly a dull grey overcast.
    It could yet be record breaking in terms of the month as a whole.
    Here's wriggling on your part. You started a thread relating to record warmth from the 11th, and posted charts for this weekend as illustration. You later even said that you should have stated that it would be only "temporary", yet now you're trying to make out that you meant the month as a whole may be record breaking.

How can I be proven wrong, and you right, when the warmest temperature recorded was only 17.3 °C, on one location, and a max of 16.1 in all others? These are exactly the figures I said we would get, and several degrees below the ones you said we'd get. How does that prove you correct and me wrong?

Sarcasm is a wonderful thing.

Didn't seem sarcastic to me...

Patience.

The chance has passed.
    I don't have to do that. Intuitively I am certain of it.

Highly scientific that. So you can tell the temperature is 19 C despite all stations recording well below that? You should patent that....
    I am very happy.

It doesn't matter if someone posts a forecast here and it doesn't turn out to materialise. The decent thing is to admit it and move on, not try to change what you meant after the event, and then pee on someone else's argument that proved to be correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

Cork Airport only reached 13.2 °C.

I'm monitoring Cork Airport and I'm beginning to suspect it is under a bit in temps ~ when we take my own readings and those from Cobh, Ringaskiddy, Spit Bank and Roche's Point, Cork Airport is always different.

But given as much as an hour updating from ATIS and twenty minutes updating from Met Eireann web site, there is plenty of time for discrepancies.

gbee wrote: »
    I'm monitoring Cork Airport and I'm beginning to suspect it is under a bit in temps ~ when we take my own readings and those from Cobh, Ringaskiddy, Spit Bank and Roche's Point, Cork Airport is always different.

But given as much as an hour updating from ATIS and twenty minutes updating from Met Eireann web site, there is plenty of time for discrepancies.

Well those are coastal or urban stations while the airport is 500 ft up on a hill, more prone to fog and low cloud. The atis may be only updated hourly, but the metars are available online every 30 mins, so check them instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

Reading the mail today and they reported on the fact that it was the warmest november possibly on record but i have to say they didnt over sensationalise the headline apart from the fact of saying it was warmer in ireland than some god forsaken place in syria. A lot of what they wrote was facts. I was most disappointed (probably coz the news was well into the paper where the news can on occasion be true)

I expected this

IRELAND SWELTERS IN NOVEMBER HEAT

Ireland is sweltering in its warmest November on record. Temperatures as high as 17c thats a whopping 63F were recorded in some parts. This is over 15F higher than the bone chilling temperatures we would expect in November. Beaches were packed as revellers took in the heat and some people reported getting sunburn due to the warm and muggy breeze. Forecasters are saying the uncomfortably warm conditions will prevail until the end of the year at the very least when forest fires will become widespread.:P

Advertisement