Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin bikes - gears

• 05-11-2009 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭

HI folks,

The Dublin Bike scheme is great, but....
    The bikes seem to be in a very low gear. I pedal like mad to get any momentum going and then have to freewheel for a bit while the bike 'catches up' with my feet.
    Am I missing something that would let me pedal in a higher gear, or are they just fixed in a low gear, does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭JayeL

I presume you've moved the gear shifter on the right handlebar, in which case, yes, even the highest gear is pretty awful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Similar but opposite twist grip action to the Stormley Archer hub gears found on the old Triumph 20ies .

These bikes are fitted with proprietary components so that there is no desire to nick them for parts. They are not exactly designed for racing around the city and will fall in place with the new 20 MPH city center speed limit. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

JayeL wrote: »
    I presume you've moved the gear shifter on the right handlebar......

Well, no actually! I saw the dial on the right with 1,2,3 on it, but I couldn't find any way to move it. I knew that I had to be missing something. I'll have another look at it tomorrow.

Edit:
    Similar but opposite twist grip action to the Stormley Archer hub gears found on the old Triumph 20ies .

Ah, twist grip action - have done a bit of googling - I think I see what you mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Schrodingercat

I took one of the bikes last week and I think the gears were broken on it.

Same issue even with the gear changed, was pedaling like a lunatic and going nowhere, once you got started. Turned the saddle backwards on it when I left it back, so hopefully the Dublin bike van will see it and fix it.

Sounds like the problem you had. Its very noticeable, its very different to cycling in the easy gear. Its not usually that bad.

Well, no actually! I saw the dial on the right with 1,2,3 on it, but I couldn't find any way to move it. I knew that I had to be missing something. I'll have another look at it tomorrow.

Edit: Ah, twist grip action - have done a bit of googling - I think I see what you mean.

Not sure about DB but with Sturmly Archer hub gears you had to pedal in reverse to engage the internal pinions of the planet type grerbox, they work opposite to dérailleur gears. They have the advantages of less maintenance and also less chance of the chain hopping off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,890 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No. 3 is the gear most people will be after. I find them totally fine when using them in this gear. Not as fast as I'd like to go, but will still get you anywhere within the scheme limits in about 10 mins. And it has the advantage that it's virtually impossible to build up a sweat pedalling in that gear so you can cycle in your street wear to your heart's content and not worry about being damp and smelly when you get to your destination :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

These bikes are fitted with proprietary components so that there is no desire to nick them for parts.

Sad to say, they are fitted with standard issue Shimano Nexus hubs which could be nicked and used on other bikes.

penexpers wrote: »
    Sad to say, they are fitted with standard issue Shimano Nexus hubs which could be nicked and used on other bikes.
    I wouldn't say there is much of a market for them, every kid on the block wants at least 20 gears. In my day it was either 5 or 10. I built a 54 speed as a student using one of these hubs and a 6 speed sprocket. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Well, this morning was much better. 3rd gear is fine. I never would have noticed that twist-ring by myself. Boards to the rescue.

Advertisement