Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reeling in the Years DVD

• 11-10-2008 9:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Finally they are making a DVD! Ok, they are just starting with the 80s and only have about 15 mins of each 25 min episode (due to various publishing rights). It'll be released on the 31st of October. I don't know about you guys, but I really loved the show! :)

All info - http://www.rte.ie/tv/reelingintheyears/faq.html
    From the first transmission of the series in 1999, it was obvious enough that there might be interest in releasing a VHS/DVD version of the programme – which is why we wrote that original FAQ. We looked at the feasibility of such a release in 1999-2000, and several times since – particularly in 2002 and 2004. Each time we were reluctant to proceed, because the budget available to the project would probably not allow for buying in significant amounts of non-RTE owned footage, and also because of the costs and expertise involved in music copyright clearance for soundtrack and video/ TV performances. The only option appeared to be a DVD version that contained only the footage and music we could afford to clear on a tiny budget. We didn’t think that version would be good enough, to be honest.We knew that because of the complexity of contracts, permissions and costs, there would be no way we could release a DVD containing all the music and footage in the TV programmes, but we still wanted the facility to include many key events, music performances and songs. Two things have happened to change that.

First, in 2006, EMI Ireland indicated that they would get involved in the project – both in terms of covering some of the DVD production costs, and even more importantly, in terms of negotiating music copyright clearances. Second, the market for Irish DVDs has grown significantly over the past several years. The possible budget for a ‘Reeling’ DVD has therefore also increased, meaning that we could look selectively at including non-RTE footage, as well as keeping most of the music we wanted on the soundtrack. We only wanted to make a DVD if we were sure that we could include elements on our ‘wish list’ that we thought were essential to the story of Ireland in the 1980s, like the various stages of U2 through the 1980s (their first single ‘Stories for Boys” on the Late Late in 1980, through ‘Unforgettable Fire’ in 1985 and ‘I Still Haven’t Found…’ in 1987), or Jack Charlton and Euro 88, and at least some of the other international sporting successes like Stephen Roche in the Tour de France, and Johnny Logan winning Eurovision twice, and the GAA, and at least some major international news stories like Chernobyl, the Ethiopian famine of 1984-85, the collapse of Communism in 1989, etc.

So in 2006, EMI and RTE funded the editing of a rough cut of what has become ‘Reeling In The 80s’, a DVD that is due for release in late October 2008. The TV series of the 1980s ‘Reeling In The Years’ has about 240 minutes’ footage (25 minutes per year, less one minute each for titles/ credits = 24 minutes, x 10 programmes = 240 minutes). Originally we aimed for a DVD version of about 90 to 100 minutes, i.e. an average of 9 to 10 minutes per year. Thanks to the co-operation of many music artists, record companies and footage suppliers, the final version is about 150 minutes long, an average of 15 minutes per year, and has most of our ‘wish list’ of music and events on it. The two and a half hours on DVD comprises many sequences taken directly from the TV series: some sequences that combine stories and songs from a given year in a different way: and one or two ‘new’ (well, old, really, but new to ‘Reeling’) stories that we came across in our fresh researches into the RTE archive and we’ve included as well. The RTE footage obviously comprises most of the programme and DVD version, and we’re very grateful to RTE’s Archives and Libraries for all their help and advice. As well as RTE, there are over twenty other companies supplying footage and still images. So Jack Charlton and Euro 88 are in. Johnny Logan’s in. Stephen Roche’s Tour de France victory is in. Band Aid and Live Aid are in. International news stories like the Berlin Wall and Chernobyl are included. The soundtrack has music from international acts like Eurhythmics, Simple Minds, Talking Heads, The Clash, Blondie, New Order, Madness, Kylie Minogue and Human League, along with performances from Irish artists like Phil Lynott, Boomtown Rats, Big Tom, Dana and Daniel O’Donnell, U2, The Blades, The Fureys and Davey Arthur, Paul Brady, Aslan, Feargal Sharkey and Sinead O’Connor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭JWAD

Great news. A definite must-have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I liked it too. Mind you it was a blatant rip off of a BBC programme called the rock and roll years which covered the years from 1955, the start of the Rock and Roll era until 1980.

I don't know if they ever continued it (it was made in the 80s) or whether they made a DVD of it but it had some great moments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭funktastic

Yeah it's the exact same as 'The Rock and Roll Years' but sure so what - it's within an Irish context and no harm mirroring a good idea. There are some episodes on YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWOf-IzkkrI&feature=related

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Nice link for the Rock and Roll years :D I'd never seen it before. Now, back to watching...

edit: I had a look on amazon and there are a few VHS tapes of it out, but they could be home recordings. I guess they had the same publishing rights issues if they were to release it all. Someone should start asking the bbc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I look foreward to it to .Hope they bring out the 60s and 70s era of it to follow on dvd to

• Advertisement

Hopefully they will make enough money from selling us the 80s DVD to be able to buy plenty of rights to get the next ones out :D

Rte didnt want to bring it out cos of too much royalties to pay on the music

the DVD is only 19.95 :) i'm glad cause I was expecting a higher price tag. See http://www.buy4now.ie/rte/aspx/productdetail.aspx?pid=1236&loc=P&catid=7.2

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭mrgaa1

one of the best shows on TV - shows how far we've come as a people

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭miketv

Tuberty is talking to the maker about Reeling in the years on 2fm at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭ValJester

Any word on when Reeling in the 00's will be made?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

It's starting 7.30pm Sunday night!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭man1

are they bringing out a 60's and 70's dvd

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

I don't know why they don't bring it all out on one big special edition DVD for christmas. That would be at least one present sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

love that show. it's great when you're flicking through channels and all that's on is crappy soaps then you come across it and keep guessing year until it comes up!
    hopefully they'll release other years too

must buy it for the boyfriend:D

Advertisement