Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Weather Station Project

Options
  • 09-09-2004 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭

Hello Everyone,
    I am currently developing a homemade weather station. I am having trouble sourcing reasonably priced sensors. I would like to have an anemometer, temperature sensor (DB1820 I was thinking about), rainfall gauge and possibly a humidity sensor or atmospheric pressure sensor or wind vane. I don't require all of the above but I have been researching on the net and have found the prices of many of them to be very expensive.

Does anyone know where I could source any of the above at a reasonable price?

Thanks for any help:D

Comments

Mothman who posts here has one up,he gave details in a thread somewhere which I cannot find at present, but will post a link later, if he hasnt posted here himself by then.
    He should be able to point you in the direction of where he got the equipment.

Depending on where you live,Met Éireann will supply you with a rain guage if you are willing to committ to recording it daily for them and sending in the monthly report cards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Cheers for that. I went to Mothman's internet weather website. It's class. It's just what I want to do. Update weather parameters, charts etc and disply them. However I think he does it manually. I will be setting up a webserver on brodband with PHP programming to automatically update all weather information. I can sit watching TV as it does the work for me say once an hour. However the mechanical and electronic parts are very expensive. Hope Mothman or someone else can help. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Hi there Finnpark,
    There is no way I update manually every 15 minutes! Just had to get that off my chest. There is the Daily Dairy page that I fill in manually on a daily basis. The Met Eireann figures (apart from wind) are on this page. And if Broadband was available I'd have it in a shot. (can't afford satellite option) Ashford may not get broadband for years yet :(

There are a few manufacturers that supply the home AWS market. Davis are generally thought of as being the best and more expensive than some others.

Probably a good place to start are some of the UK online shops. Can be found Here

You may also find it worth your while browsing through this forum for questions and answers of weather stations and related items.

I got my AWS direct from Davis (in the States) as it was much cheaper even with shipping costs. Would be issues with warranty returns if that matter arose. Likewise for another make you may find it cheaper to source it in mainland Europe.

Feel free to PM me with any specific queries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

Thanks mothman. I will certainly get back to you on this. I know there are weather stations you can buy with upload software for $300 to $400. This is quite expensive considering I want to write my own software and set up my own server. All Im looking for are the basic measurment devices. Then I intend setting up an RF link to my computer indoors and then upload on a continuous basis to my webserver/website. Anyway I will get back to you soon and thanks once again for your advice. Your website looks really good by the way. Good luck. :D

finnpark wrote:
    I know there are weather stations you can buy with upload software for $300 to $400. This is quite expensive considering I want to write my own software and set up my own server. All Im looking for are the basic measurment devices. Then I intend setting up an RF link to my computer indoors and then

The issue with Davis AWS and uploading to computer is that the datalogger is needed. This cost for this amounted to about 30% of the total cost of AWS. The software (which is what is managing my regular updates) is included with the datalogger. There may well be generic dataloggersout there which would cost substantionally less.

As for cost of instruments, you generally get what you pay, the cheaper instruments being less accurate and less durable. Accuracy (unless you have a very good site) is probably less of an issue than durability

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Hi i got the La Crosse WS-2300 weather station off a german
    shop 2 weeks ago works great and with the software
    you can have your own weather records on the computer
    without having your display connected to the computer all
    th time cost me 195 + 20 posting :) Pretty good as no
    tax etc is added like it can be from America and delivery
    only took a week :D

http://www.wml-weathershop.de/SenderID.php4?0102_Google3#

chump wrote:
    Hi i got the La Crosse WS-2300 weather station off a german
    shop 2 weeks ago works great and with the software
    you can have your own weather records on the computer
    without having your display connected to the computer all
    th time cost me 195 + 20 posting :) Pretty good as no
    tax etc is added like it can be from America and delivery
    only took a week :D

http://www.wml-weathershop.de/SenderID.php4?0102_Google3#

Certainly is good value, considering I see it at £190 +postage from UK store. Its a very popular station, no doubt due to its lower price compared to the likes of Davis.

Good luck with it, and I hope it gets to experience many storms :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ttc028

How about this DIY project, it also includes an ultrasonic anemometer!

http://www.epemag.wimborne.co.uk/0803.htm

...Kevin

Advertisement