Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Bike Park in Drury Street

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Use it 3 nights a week. Very convenient for me and I have seen usage vary between days. Shame it's not used more.

Also a shame that this is a regular sight...

4419872200_c1d33ca42d.jpg

I've been tweeting images like this a few times, and it's apparently been highlighted to the cycling officer in Dublin... but it's still a bit ridiculous.

AFAIK that car belongs to one of the staff. It's usually there in the AM but gone later.

An enterprising Vespa owner has also taken to parking in the bike park recently. Not that it's an issue at the moment, given that there are rarely more than 20 bikes using the facility.

Picking up my commuter from Drury Street Bike park tonight when I noticed that someone had been having a go at my lock (a Trelock FS 455). Looked like they had tried to prise it open.

Spoke to one of the people in the office and he said he would have a scan through the CCTV. Bike is fine but I'll be keeping it in the office for the next while.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭greener greene

daragh_ wrote: »
    Picking up my commuter from Drury Street Bike park tonight when I noticed that someone had been having a go at my lock (a Trelock FS 455). Looked like they had tried to prise it open.

Spoke to one of the people in the office and he said he would have a scan through the CCTV. Bike is fine but I'll be keeping it in the office for the next while.

A friend of mine had his bike stolen from the carpark about a month or two ago, however he was using one of the saddest excuses for a lock I'd ever seen. He didn't heed my warning that it would do nothing :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

So there has been thefts then? The design of Drury St. bike park never filled me with confidence. No direct line of sight for staff onto the bikes and not much of a security presence.

If I'm parking for any length of time I'll try and park in Drury St. or the multi-storey in Jervis St., with a security guard on the gate.

Interrupted fellas making off with my quick release pin recently on Liffey St., brother had two bikes taken from an apt common area last night (two crappy bikes tbh).

You need about €100 worth of locks to secure a bike imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

seeing_ie wrote: »
    No direct line of sight for staff onto the bikes and not much of a security presence
    I've parked there about a dozen times and have yet to see any security staff in that office.

And that bloody jeep is still parked there! :(

• Advertisement

Anyone got an email for Andrew Montague? Might be worth following up on the theft thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

I parked my bike in there at lunch time last Wednesday and there was an unlocked bike just sitting in the stand next to mine. :eek:

It was a quite nice Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

daragh_ wrote: »
    Anyone got an email for Andrew Montague? Might be worth following up on the theft thing.
    You can PM him. He posts here. Or, at the least, used to until quite recently.

His user name is AMontague.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    You can PM him. He posts here. Or, at the least, used to until quite recently.

His user name is AMontague.

Will do. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭gwjones42

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but am sitting here fuming after my bike was taken from the parking facility on Drury Street this evening between 3:30 and 7:30 and need to talk about it.

It was a shiny new Bike to Work Trek Road Bike that was black and blue, with white handles and saddle and had a strong lock that I've been using without issue for the past couple of months on my commute between Maynooth and Ballyfermot, but I now realise I should have used more than one lock....or just not gone to the city centre on it at all..........but if it's the case that a purpose built bike parking facility isn't safe, then where is???

I knew there was a huge risk bringing it into town and wouldn't dream of locking it to a lampost, so I did my research online and only decided to go in on the bike after finding out about the indoor parking area "with cctv" (as the DCC cycling blog says).

I'm thinking now that all the cctv will be good for will be showing it being taken :-(

Anyway....it was a risk and I was naive to bring an eye-catching bike to a place that I couldn't keep an eye on it....now I've paid for it.

Be warned!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

gwjones42 wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but am sitting here fuming after my bike was taken from the parking facility on Drury Street this evening between 3:30 and 7:30 and need to talk about it.

It was a shiny new Bike to Work Trek Road Bike that was black and blue, with white handles and saddle and had a strong lock that I've been using without issue for the past couple of months on my commute between Maynooth and Ballyfermot, but I now realise I should have used more than one lock....or just not gone to the city centre on it at all..........but if it's the case that a purpose built bike parking facility isn't safe, then where is???

I knew there was a huge risk bringing it into town and wouldn't dream of locking it to a lampost, so I did my research online and only decided to go in on the bike after finding out about the indoor parking area "with cctv" (as the DCC cycling blog says).

I'm thinking now that all the cctv will be good for will be showing it being taken :-(

Anyway....it was a risk and I was naive to bring an eye-catching bike to a place that I couldn't keep an eye on it....now I've paid for it.

Be warned!

Post pictures on twitter and ask for some retweets timi from picturethis had his stolen from his apaprtment and it was spotted times around town and in the end he got it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

...and had a strong lock that I've been using without issue for the past couple of months...

What lock? (so the rest of us know what's good/bad)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

No lock is good enough for an angle grinder.

Sorry for your loss gwjones. Have you secured the CCTV footage from the car park security and reported the theft to guards?

It was locked with a heavy chain and padlock (that is usually too heavy to carry). I don't normally need it because I keep the bike indoors in work with me anyway.....it got brought out especially for my trip to town today!

The guy working in the car park was very good to be fair to him....I filled out a report for him and he told me he would secure the tapes, then I went to Pearse Street Garda Station to report it and the Gard was very nice there too. He said it would be Sunday before he can get out and about to get them.

I was able to show pictures of it on my phone and I have the serial number too so if it's found, I'll have done as much as I could to ensure I get it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

A chain and padlock might not be as secure as you think. Depends on what chain and what padlock. Even with an excellent chain and padlock, you have to make sure the chain can't be made to touch the ground, as it's very vulnerable to a bolt-cutter attack in that arrangement, as the the thief can stand on the bolt cutters for extra force.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

It was locked with a heavy chain and padlock (that is usually too heavy to carry). I don't normally need it because I keep the bike indoors in work with me anyway.....it got brought out especially for my trip to town today!

As tomasrojo said, a chain and padlock are only as strong as their weakest link. Usually the padlock itself. If its long it can be pinned to the ground for an easier angle grinder or bolt cutter attack. Hope you get it back, put up a photo of the bike and take to Twitter with the CCTV evidence if you can get a copy. The local cop shop might even recognise the faces.

20141113_204749.jpg

Here's me looking ridiculously excited the day I got it. I still have the panniers and lights as I was carrying them around with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

The ba$tards!
    Did you check that lotto ticket behind you on the fridge? It may be a winner.
    Will keep an eye out on the usual sites for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭MB Lacey

That's a bollix, I've parked there for years and no problems. Really sorry your bike was stolen from there.
    Let us know the outcome of the CCTV, if there is one.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭TheNah

That's an absolute sickener. I part there a lot. Bit worried now if thieves are targeting it. Hope you get the bike back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

TheNah wrote: »
    an absolute sickener. I part there a lot. Bit worried now if thieves are targeting it. Hope you get the bike back.

what about briniging the bike up in the lift and locking it in an out of the way location on a floor above? Anyone tried this strategy? Scumbags are lazy at the end of the day

Advertisement