Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bus v Train

Options
  • 06-11-2009 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭

Well everyone.
    Myself and the Mrs. have decided to go on a weekend away to carlow. Why carlow? I know the place and have a voucher for a nice hotel ;)
    Anyways due to a job loss and back working somewhere on lower money I cannot drive so was debating a train (18euro return) or bus eireann 10.80 return for me and 9.50 for her because she's a student). totals are 36 euro and 20.50

Anyone know the journey times of bus eireann from Dublin to Carlow? I'm not in a big rush as i'm going to an open day in carlow IT while i'm there. Obviously the bus wins on price but is it faster? I've travelled bus eireann a few times to Wexford and back.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

congo_90 wrote: »
    Well everyone.
    Myself and the Mrs. have decided to go on a weekend away to carlow. Why carlow? I know the place and have a voucher for a nice hotel ;)
    Anyways due to a job loss and back working somewhere on lower money I cannot drive so was debating a train (18euro return) or bus eireann 10.80 return for me and 9.50 for her because she's a student). totals are 36 euro and 20.50

Anyone know the journey times of bus eireann from Dublin to Carlow? I'm not in a big rush as i'm going to an open day in carlow IT while i'm there. Obviously the bus wins on price but is it faster? I've travelled bus eireann a few times to Wexford and back.

Thanks

Bus depends on the time of day, i.e. traffic in Dublin and Castledermot. During the day it's about 100 minutes give or take.

The trains vary slightly but they're mostly about 80 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Well we're talking mid afternoon or late morning as i'm a lazy so and so lol.
    F*ck me. went to book the rooms but the price jumped up from 150 to 218! in the space of an hour! :eek: I think I'll hold that thought for now..

Thanks for the info though

F*ck me. went to book the rooms but the price jumped up from 150 to 218! in the space of an hour! :eek: I think I'll hold that thought for now..

I'm sorry i made a mistake, i was thinking of the JJ Kavanagh bus times. The Bus Eireann may be a bit faster if they bypass Naas and Kilcullen. Some of them do and some of them don't.

I still reckon it would be about 80 mins at least at that time.

You're welcome.

just noticed your from carlow..
    Hows the nightlife? Arriving friday, leaving sunday.
    I'll opt for the train and find another b&b/ hotel :p

just noticed your from carlow..
    Hows the nightlife? Arriving friday, leaving sunday.
    I'll opt for the train and find another b&b/ hotel :p

I'm not one to ask about the night life. I'm a militant non-drinker. If you ask on the Carlow board i'm sure they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

>Carlow Board here<

• Advertisement

sound.. sure this is commuting forum so it was just me chancing my arm haha thanks for the bus info anyways. What street does the bus stop by? Just so I can figure out distances from accomadation etc

The bus stop is the Bus Park on Barrack Street on quite near the centre of town.

The train station is about 10 mins walk from town.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Kavanaghs buses are great:)

The train station is a good bit out of town the bus station is in the centre of it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Clear all browser cookies and start again. lots of booking systems do this on purpose - if you return to book they jack the price. A certain airline and a certain ferry company operating off this island certainly do...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

MYOB wrote: »
    Clear all browser cookies and start again. lots of booking systems do this on purpose - if you return to book they jack the price. A certain airline and a certain ferry company operating off this island certainly do...

sorry i know this is off topic but are you talking about Ryanair??...i went on to check flight prices from dublin to Paris-Beauvais (not actually paris) a few days ago and when i went back today to show a friend the price had jumped but 20e each way and there is 5 of us so thats €200....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

dannym08 wrote: »
    sorry i know this is off topic but are you talking about Ryanair??...i went on to check flight prices from dublin to Paris-Beauvais (not actually paris) a few days ago and when i went back today to show a friend the price had jumped but 20e each way and there is 5 of us so thats €200....

Their prices can change on a daily basis. There were times I was looking at flights for months and they didn't change.

amacachi wrote: »
    Their prices can change on a daily basis. There were times I was looking at flights for months and they didn't change.

I know they change close to the date but i was looking at flights in march/april so i didnt think they would be changing now, would they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Carlow, Kikenny or Tipperary, I'd take JJ Kavanaghs.

The train is good for long distance but very expensive. And Dublin to Carlow is expensive

So if I were you I'd take Kavanaghs or Bus Éireann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Here we go again :rolleyes: This is nonsense. Certainly in the case of Ryanair.

I book flights most months. I check & check & check prices constantly. They don't change just because I look at the same flight twice. They change when the time to a flight reduces from 15 to 14 days, or from 8 to 7 days etc. It HAS happened to me that I've checked a flight and by the time I've gone to book it, it's after midnight and the price has gone up.

If you think I'm wrong, then give me a flight number & date and let's do a test. I'll be prepared to admit I'm wrong. But I won't have to :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

dannym08 wrote: »
    I know they change close to the date but i was looking at flights in march/april so i didnt think they would be changing now, would they?

They can do, yes, their offers change all the time. They could get cheaper again before the date, depends what's going on. If the flight is getting any actual bookings this far in advance then the price will go up. Were you the only person who checked? Since there's 5 of you then surely one of the others could book on their computer and save you all a few quid? :P

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

BendiBus wrote: »
    Here we go again :rolleyes: This is nonsense. Certainly in the case of Ryanair.

I book flights most months. I check & check & check prices constantly. They don't change just because I look at the same flight twice. They change when the time to a flight reduces from 15 to 14 days, or from 8 to 7 days etc. It HAS happened to me that I've checked a flight and by the time I've gone to book it, it's after midnight and the price has gone up.

If you think I'm wrong, then give me a flight number & date and let's do a test. I'll be prepared to admit I'm wrong. But I won't have to :)

Did I say Ryanair? No. I wouldn't use them if you paid me to so I've no idea about their booking system.

It is a standard function of booking systems to allow hotels/airlines/ferry operators/rail operators to raise prices when people return after viewing them before. Not everyone does it. By clearing cookies, the booking system doesn't know you've viewed that room/flight/boat/train it before.

If you don't think it is done, you're highly gullible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Did I say Ryanair? No. I wouldn't use them if you paid me to so I've no idea about their booking system.

Which airline then? Aer Lingus? The challenge stands. As it's not Ryanair I've an open mind.

Wanna take it to a new thread guys? Kinda hyjacking my thread here...
    On a side note. I opted for the train and went back to the site the next day and prices were ok.

Take it to pm or a new thread. Yas are hijacking my thread!

sorry... my fault:pac:

Advertisement