Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

hailstones in Dublin

Options
  • 10-07-2004 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭

I saw some hailstones in Dublin yesterday (Fri 9th Jul) from a cloudburst type of shower. They were few in number but they defeinitely were there (raindrops dont bounce up!).

This is the first time I have ever seen hailstones in Ireland in July. Did anyone else see them and has anyone any data on whether there has ever been showers with hail or snow in July in Ireland?

Comments

It's not unusual to have hailstones in july.
    They are common in heavy showers at any time during the summer especially in thunderstorms.
    Saw hail yesterday in a heavy shower at the top of Mt Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Yes, I've seen them on mountain tops before, such as in Mayo, but I'm talking at ground/sea level in Dublin (Ireland's eastern seaboard) on a mild day. Yesterday's temp must have been about 18 at about 7:00pm approx. when the shower occurred. Casement had a 19.3 max temp yesterday. It wasnt a thunderstorm either. I remarked it as I have never seen it before. Maybe I just haven't been observant enough .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Perhaps one should define unusual.

Looking back at last 5 years or so, The reports of hail in July at 13 (9 pre 2002) Met Eireann synoptic stations.

2003 - none.
    2002 - Dublin Airport 1
    2001 - Cork Airport 1 (no thunder)
    Belmullet 1 (no thunder)
    2000 - Casement 1 (no thunder)
    1999 - none.

So my take on it, not unprecidented, but unusual.

In showers like that there can be a temperature drop of 6C or more during the shower

Originally posted by redspider
    Yes, I've seen them on mountain tops before, such as in Mayo, but I'm talking at ground/sea level in Dublin (Ireland's eastern seaboard) on a mild day. Yesterday's temp must have been about 18 at about 7:00pm approx. when the shower occurred. Casement had a 19.3 max temp yesterday. It wasnt a thunderstorm either. I remarked it as I have never seen it before. Maybe I just haven't been observant enough .....
    Hailstorms can and do happen on the hottest of days with temps in the high 20's.
    They are in heavy showers created by the heat and unstable athmosphere.
    those showers do happen more often inland and on mountains in such conditions, but not exclusively so.
    The precipitation is frozen at cloud level and what is actually happening, is that it's weight drags it down so fast it doesn't have time to melt.
    It's also consequently cooling the air as mothman pointed out as it falls to the ground.

I can recall a few years ago a massive thunderstorm developed over south Wales in hot weather.
    The prevailing winds dragged that storm onto the wexford coast by about 8pm that evening and even by then having travelled across the Irish sea and with darkness and the coolness of the evening to weaken it, it was still pretty fierce again with lots of hail and lightning.

Incidently in this weeks wicklow people newspaper for example there is a piece where on thursday of the week before last, the local tesco had to close due to flash flooding,hail and thunder..
    We experienced similar conditions in Arklow about 10 days ago with hail but no thunder( I do remember the hail as I was driving along at the time ) and this was at sea level at the end of june.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

OK, it looks like I just haven't been observant enough! It probably has occurred down through the years many time but I just haven't made much of a note about it.

I guess that summer hail is more than likely associated with cloud formations that consist of thunder/lightning and heavy rain and movements of air upward and downward. Those cloud formations can still carry the hail even though they no longer have any lightning/thunder active or similar cloud formations can form hail.

I guess we can conclude that it is unusual, but not highly so.

Thanks for your feedback.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,243 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Earthman
    thunderstorms...... top of Mt Leinster.
    :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

In terms of Irish weather, there is not much that surprises, except for long periods of sunshine!

Advertisement