Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fueling yourself on the Trial

• 20-06-2019 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

So what do people eat when they're out for a spin ?

I'm mainly using a protein bar bought in the shop and a few bits of fruit but the majority of my spins are 20-25k. I dont really need to think too hard about fuel really for them. Im planning on doing the blue in ballyhoura saturday. Having done the white I know my usual go to for food will have energy levels running low for the last few kms. I usually have a back up gel for when things get bad but id prefer to keep it off.

Would appreciate any recommendations from the more experienced people on here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Jam and peanut butter Sangwiches....

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Biopace

Peter T wrote: »
    So what do people eat when they're out for a spin ?

I'm mainly using a protein bar bought in the shop and a few bits of fruit but the majority of my spins are 20-25k. I dont really need to think too hard about fuel really for them. Im planning on doing the blue in ballyhoura saturday. Having done the white I know my usual go to for food will have energy levels running low for the last few kms. I usually have a back up gel for when things get bad but id prefer to keep it off.

Would appreciate any recommendations from the more experienced people on here

Honestly the Blue isn't much more than the White, a few more kms and not much more elevation (although it is a bit of a slog to the mast), I would go with your usual plus some buttered fruit loaf slices, and a few extra jellys :)

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

I had come across the jam and peanut butter sandwiches suggestions online. @Biospace I know what your saying about the white only being a bit shorter but towards the end the concentration started drifting. I'll give it a go anyway with the P&J sandwiches and see how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Blue is tough enough, but as others have said, its not much more than white, climb to the mast is tough. Unfortunately bread is killing my stomach, so I can't really do the peanut butter and jam, sounds good though. Enjoy the day

make your own oat bars, put in peanut butter, raisins, nuts, honey.....

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    make your own oat bars, put in peanut butter, raisins, nuts, honey.....

https://emerald-mtb.com/homemade-granola-energy-bars/ I've made these in the past but they get messy after being in a bag for a few hours

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭covey123

Im planning on doing the blue in ballyhoura saturday

If you have the time and enough in the tank,you could add some of the red up near the turbines,then get back on the blue, might be another 20 min or so of climbing but two nice trails up there with decent flow on them

I'll see how I'm going on the day. I'll keep it in mind

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

These things are absolute rocket fuel, gluten free so they are complete sugar-bombs. No gel I have tried comes close
    https://www.hollandandbarrett.com/shop/product/mrs-crimble-s-buttery-oat-flapjack-60021688

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

When I first started cycling I never did more than 2 hours or so, I didn't really need to fuel on the bike just had a decent pasta dinner or something.

When I started mountain biking I was cycling an hour each way to Ticknock so I brought two peanut butter sandwiches, not a fan of bananas!

Then when I started doing 5-6 hours on the road bike I started using energy gels. I was very surprised at how well they work and how fast acting they are. They say to have one every 20 minutes but I'd have one every 40 minutes or so after 3-4 hours. I regret going without them for so long.

I'm too lazy to make my own granola bars so for solid food on the go I'd probably grab a Cliff bar.

Also an electrolyte tablet if I'm going through the water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭boomdocker

ordinary food

used to eat energy bars and drinks

but nowadays for the 3/4 hr Sunday spin I just have water with a little cordial and a good ole ham and cheese sandwich
    for less than that don;t need anything

when we go for longer, harder spns usually throw in a banana as well, and of course the 150ml can of coke for emergency resuscitation

Granola bars do a great job at keeping hunger at bay, always pack one for those spins that may turn out longer than planned

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭prunudo

One of my mates swears by 2 or 3 cans of bulmers the night before a spin, reckons the sugar keeps him going!
    Me, I usually just have a high 5 aqua gel after an hour or so, they maybe another 40 mins later. Then usually a nutri grain type bar after that for some solid food if I'm out longer. Fulfil bar at end of spin if I find them on discount.
    Think an energy gel every 20mins wouldn't be great on the insides.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

For 2 to 3 hour spins, I usually just bring a cheese sandwich and a cereal bar, and usually just eat the sandwich. Think I've had the same cereal bar in the bag since the start of the year.

Anything longer I generally eat whatever the organisers provide en route, haven't done anything longer than 45k (5 hours) so far though.

Set off at the weekend with a few bits and my P&J sandwiches. Did the trick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭deandean

I've tried all the protein bars, etc. But I've resorted to a couple of ham & cheese sangwiches wrapped in tinfoil. Cheap, tastes great, good combo of protein and carbs.
    And one of those fizzy tablets in my water bottle. Good for 4 hours on the trails.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You can make really easy flapjacks type things with just a microwave and a fridge.

Oats, crushed nuts, raisins. Honey/Golden Syrup/Sugar and Peanut Butter are all that are required. Loads of recipes out there. Between prepping and cleaning probably takes about 10mins time. They hold in a fridge of sealed for a while.

one example
    https://www.odlums.ie/recipes/no-bake-crispy-flapjacks/

Anzac Cookies are also ridculously easy to make

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3803/anzac-biscuits

Anyway, I always take 1 or 2 bananas and some Jelly Babies.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

I'm mainly using a protein bar bought in the shop and a few bits of fruit but the majority of my spins are 20-25k.

Forget the protein bars, you need carbs on the ride not protein.

Never underestimate the humble banana!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Miklos wrote: »
    Forget the protein bars, you need carbs on the ride not protein.

I was thinking the same. Protein for recovery and fast simple carbs for energy.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Miklos wrote: »

Plus they come in there own handy rapidly biodegradable wrapper which is easy to open. Not exactly as healthy but I find a pack of haribo snakes or other cheapo jellies work really well for the occasional fuel top up on a long day.

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    Plus they come in there own handy rapidly biodegradable wrapper which is easy to open..

Banana skins take up to 2 years to bio-degrade and are a non-native plant, so stick your skins into your pocket and dispose of it in the organic trash can...

Plus, simply just seeing banana/orange skins on the trail encourages littering

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Banana skins take up to 2 years to bio-degrade and are a non-native plant, so stick your skins into your pocket and dispose of it in the organic trash can...

Not native, then which country is Geldof singing about if not his own??

Some interesting stats about how long things take to Bio Degrade:

How long your litter takes to biodegrade

Paper bag - 1 month

Apple core - 8 weeks

Orange peel and banana skins - 2 years

Plastic bag - 10 to 20 years

A plastic bottle - 450 years

Chewing gum - 1 million years

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭lgk

How long is the 20-25k taking you? If you're not pushing into the red zone you shouldn't need anything for a spin of that length, should have more than enough glycogen stores. Keeping the heart rate down over long sessions encourages the metabolism of fat as well.

As for gels, a few jelly babies will give you the same energy for a lot less money if you need a boost.

I should have added that thats the go to if I haven't had any breakfast. 20-25k would be anything from 1hr30 to 2hrs

25k offroad spin with no brekkie or food on the trail, no thanks!

25k offroad spin with no brekkie or food on the trail, no thanks!

There was no mention of no breakfast before last update. Regardless, if you don't usually have breakfast, 1.5 to 2 hours shouldn't be a problem if you've a decent level of fitness. If you want to go further, check out Enduro's fat adaption approach over in the ultra running thread.

lgk wrote: »
    There was no mention of no breakfast before last update. Regardless, if you don't usually have breakfast, 1.5 to 2 hours shouldn't be a problem if you've a decent level of fitness. If you want to go further, check out Enduro's fat adaption approach over in the ultra running thread.

Ok man, going without food for 12 hours isn't for everyone, MTB needs carbs, although 25k on a nice road bike along the seafront is grand....

...and being as fat adapted as Enduro, that's above the level of most MTB'ers or most humans...

• Advertisement

Ok man, going without food for 12 hours isn't for everyone, MTB needs carbs, although 25k on a nice road bike along the seafront is grand....

Anyone taking 12 hours to cover 25km has issues other than fueling!

MTB burns ~600 calories an hour assuming average weight range. Anyone with even basic pre-fueling who feels they are depleting glycogen stores to the point where they need to refuel during a 25km spin is trying to compensate for lack of fitness through fueling. It doesn't work.

Advertisement