Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The liberties areas?

• 20-06-2019 12:08pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering what people thought of this area for buying, seems grand during the day what is it like at night? Good/bad paces?

Is the area around st catherines church dodgy at night? Thomas st/ bridgefoot street etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

We bought a house last year in The Tenters, just a few minutes from Teelings/Newmarket. The Tenters has a real community feel to it, and is an area of calm, despite being bang in the city centre.

The broader Liberties area is more colourful, but I’m really happy with the choice that we made. So far, I haven’t felt uncomfortable here at all, and gentrification is gradually pushing outwards from the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Exactly where you are looking and be a huge difference. Im from the Liberties and I can tell you there is a huge difference from one street to the next.

From my own personal experience i wouldn't buy in bridgefoot street.

Thomas Street would be a busy street at night, so it would just as good/bad as other busy streets.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Exactly where you are looking and be a huge difference. Im from the Liberties and I can tell you there is a huge difference from one street to the next.

From my own personal experience i wouldn't buy in bridgefoot street.

Thomas Street would be a busy street at night, so it would just as good/bad as other busy streets.
    Saw an apartment on Bridgefoot Street that is nice, guess it's to be avoided so. What kinda stuff would you see, if that's not private?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Down by the Quays isn't too bad but you will get the kids from around that area and they can be feral little feckers. Simon are also putting a massive rehab in the area - ironically - directly next door to Guinness' on Watling Street. Rarely had an issue living in that area for ten years.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Joe Schmo

I bought just off Cork St early this year. The Liberties are grand- but I would not come here expecting things to change too soon. I find there is little strategic planning for the area. There are applications for Student housing, hotels and Guinness is looking to redeveope but I can't see any arrival of pedestrianisation or designated parkland. If you like parks then Phoenix is 20 minutes away but of course that doesn't really help your day to day quality of residential life. Plenty of feral kids around, and I have a homeless hostel next door but I (a male) rarely feel threatened. My partner has felt the pushiness of beggars though. Amenity-wise there is plenty of gyms in the area and a few supermarkets but not a huge amount else. Since Bridgefoot st, Thomas St, Cork St are main thoroughfares to the City then I would be cautious to ensure whereever you buy is not noisy from Traffic.

While Thomas and Meath St are among the most colourful streets in Dublin, they do get quiet after 6pm with foot traffic which can be negative- but then again until 6pm you have what could (arguably) be the most interesting streets in Dublin. And the proximity to City Center is really great of course.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 laradevire

I was approached by a tech company who are located there a few months back. I said no as the area has a reputation, my dad said it was grand, but I don't think so.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I was wondering what people thought of this area for buying, seems grand during the day what is it like at night? Good/bad paces?

Is the area around st catherines church dodgy at night? Thomas st/ bridgefoot street etc?

My general advice if you are thinking of buying in an area, rent an airbnb for a few days midweek or at a weekend to get a sense of it. Here is an apartment on Thomas street:

https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/20571412?location=Dublin%208%2C%20Dublin&adults=1&source_impression_id=p3_1561391302_8ASE3bbonrE71hIq&s=jHz-DcNa

And one at the end of Bridgefoot Street:

https://www.airbnb.ie/rooms/6489113?location=Dublin%208%2C%20Dublin&adults=1&source_impression_id=p3_1561391354_EMYUg4R8ZkjzCEX4&s=L5BpfFrl

There's also a staycity on St. Augstine Street:

https://www.staycity.com/dublin/saint-augustine-street/

Why not rent one for a few days and see how you like it in terms of noise, getting around etc (I'm not affiliated with any of these by the way, and am not even sure if they are available in the next few months).

It might cost you a few hundred quid that you don't need to spend e.g. if you already have a place to rent in Dublin. However, if you are going to spend a few hundred grand buying a place, that seems like a very small price to pay to see if you like it or not. Try opening a window and night and seeing if you can sleep, or walking home after dark and see how it feels.

In terms of the area, Bridgefoot Street has the Oliver Bond flats on it, and even though I generally have no problem walking through town, I'd tend to avoid walking past there at night if I can avoid it. Thomas Street is lively with pubs and such. Ultimately, you won't know if you like the area until you've spent a night or two there!

If you want to live in Dublin 8, the other side of Thomas Street e.g. the areas around Meath Street, Francis Street, might be a bit nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭outland1985

I know this is an older thread but does anyone live or have info on the area around Gray/Reginald Street, anytime I have been there it seems quiet but is there anti social behaviour there, would it be generally safe at night time walking a dog. Many thanks

Advertisement