Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baby on the way how to prepare

• 03-04-2019 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi guys
    Im going to be dad and trying to organise myself money wise .
    Im living with my girlfriend
    Anything i can do or am entitled too in tax credit or anything im working in a hse job full time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Peep189 wrote: »
    Hi guys
    Im going to be dad and trying to organise myself money wise .
    Im living with my girlfriend
    Anything i can do or am entitled too in tax credit or anything im working in a hse job full time

congratulations!!! im not 100% sure but i dont think there is much coming your way money-wise.
    you will be entitled to paternity leave so you will need to arrange that. as its your first i'd be inclined to take it all at the beginning.
    once you have children you will never have a penny again, thats just it i'm afraid, but sure what else would you be spending it on?
    if you have all the big things got, cot, pram, car seat then there are not a lot of other big expenses, just life after that nappies and formula, baby grows clothes clothes and more clothes.

it gets more expensive as it goes on but you get used to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

farmchoice wrote: »
    congratulations!!! im not 100% sure but i dont think there is much coming your way money-wise.
    you will be entitled to paternity leave so you will need to arrange that. as its your first i'd be inclined to take it all at the beginning.
    once you have children you will never have a penny again, thats just it i'm afraid, but sure what else would you be spending it on?
    if you have all the big things got, cot, pram, car seat then there are not a lot of other big expenses, just life after that nappies and formula, baby grows clothes clothes and more clothes.

it gets more expensive as it goes on but you get used to it.

I told my eldest last week(8) that we made a choice, have money or have kids and be happy. ...and poor!

Forked out another 100 this week on the 2 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

Congratulations! Start saving and write a list of all the things you need and tick them off as you go. There are Freecycle Facebook pages for baby things and Adverts id a great place to get barely used things. You may also find family or friends will be delighted to pass on baby things, and on your first you are likely to get lots of gifts. If you have a list and people ask what you need, you can give them ideas of what you need so you don't get inundated with blankets and teddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭scarepanda

I don't think there's anything your entitled to financially, unless one of you become a stay at home parent you can get a carers tax benefit (can't remember the exact name of it). But I agree with the others, Make a list of what you think you'll need, but keep it to the bare minimum, figure out the average you need to save for everything for the next 6 months and start putting it away now so you don't have as big of a hit once ye do start buying everything. Babies don't need as much as you think though, especially newborns, and everyone's essential list is different. Also, once baby comes you'll get all sorts of blankets and 'proper' clothes, so don't get to much of that sort of stuff.

If people aak you what you need, one thing I noticed we didn't get much of was the basics like vests, grows etc. So you could ask people for some of those, although specify you want 1mth+ sizes (even up to and including 6-9-12mth sizes) and not newborn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Well congratulations Peep.

First things first, organise guardianship. As you are not married, only your girlfriend will be the guardian, even if you are named on the birth certificate. This can be done two ways (one is getting married). If not getting married, go discuss with a solicitor.

Do either of you own property, or are you renting? No worries if renting. Otherwise might want to look at life assurance and wills etc as not married.

On expenses, parents are a huge target for marketing. Everything you can imagine will be sold to you that you don’t need. From bottle warmers to travel systems. Don’t get yourself into debt.

Good luck and enjoy! It’s an adventure!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

It is very tempting on the first one to buy every sort of expensive gimmick. Don't go mad spending money on things. Just start with the basics.
    The best thing you can do is be there for mother and child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,417 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

pwurple wrote: »
    Well congratulations Peep.

First things first, organise guardianship. As you are not married, only your girlfriend will be the guardian, even if you are named on the birth certificate. This can be done two ways (one is getting married). If not getting married, go discuss with a solicitor.

I think they changed this - once you are cohabiting with the mother for 12 months before the baby & I think three months after the birth, you get automatic guardianship.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

CheerLouth wrote: »
    I think they changed this - once you are cohabiting with the mother for 12 months before the baby & I think three months after the birth, you get automatic guardianship.

It has been changed recently enough. My brother-in-law had to apply 3 years ago when they're youngest was born (prior to them getting married) but I know that we don't have to. As long as the father is there for the registration and there's evidence of co-habitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

pwurple wrote: »
    On expenses, parents are a huge target for marketing. Everything you can imagine will be sold to you that you don’t need. From bottle warmers to travel systems. Don’t get yourself into debt.
    And be aware of the emotional tricks. Trying to convince you that by spending more money you are being a better parent or that by spending less you're putting your child in danger.

"This pram has our patented safety interlock so that it won't spontaneously fold up while your child is in it. That pram which is €300 cheaper, doesn't have this and could just SNAP! fold up. You shouldn't compromise on safety."

I recall a guy trying to upsell us on a car seat and one of my concerns was that the more expensive seat couldn't used in the front.

"Oh, well you don't want to put them in the front. Even if you disable the airbag, can you be sure something won't go wrong and it won't go off?"

This is something that has literally never happened, anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 eurozonelady

totally agree - some of the strollers etc nowadays cost more than my first car did! They may look great but the market has a wide range to choose from and unless i was totally set on a brand or model - its not about the most expensive being the best one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

With regards to your first pram. You can get an amazing 4 in 1 job which has a car seat, pram, buggy, and Moses basket. Now try fit all that in the boot of your car, or worse onto a bus. And you'll only use it for 6 months or so.

Get a good second hand one is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Get a good second hand one, and bring it to somewhere like Tony Keelys. You can get new fabric / parts etc... for most makes so it'll be as good as new.

Adverts.ie can be great for buying and selling toys and baby gadgets.

Advertisement