Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are some good summer camps for 16-18yr olds?

Options
  • 21-06-2019 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

I've heard UCD, DCU, Maynooth have some good ones

Comments

Would they not be a bit old for a summer camp by that stage? What about getting them involved in a part time job for some extra pocket money?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

Would they not be a bit old for a summer camp by that stage? What about getting them involved in a part time job for some extra pocket money?

Not really a camp but there was an innovation camp in UCD which I think has stopped. It's more for resume building.

They also have a French language course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Check your local IT or university
    Also youth club; foroige website might have something.
    Local FB pages are good too
    If sporty they might be able to help as a coaching assistant in a camp - I take 16+ for Cúl Camp for example
    For next summer if its to fill their time ask their school can they act as attendant for the state exams. Handy money

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Not really a camp but there was an innovation camp in UCD which I think has stopped. It's more for resume building.

They also have a French language course.

Our town is full of Spanish students during summer days - assume these are exchanges // would Irish students be also sent in Spain to live for few weeks with local families ?
    Or have you looked at options for volunteering abroad ?
    At that age, thinking they can have during school year all the languages/innovation curricula subjects they want - so travel during summer time might be better for them.

At least that's what I would look into for my one - but I have family abroad and that might help my circumstances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oyster haven has sailing camps for that age.

Ballymaloe does cookery week long courses.

What are you looking for? sports? Skills? Grinds?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭skallywag

From a Resume building perspective I would also advise that a summer job could be much more useful, e.g. trying to get some work, even on a part-time basis, at some place where they could see themselves going career wise eventually. It will look well on a CV and also will open their eyes as to what this is what they may really want to do.

It does not matter too much what they will actually do there, I was pretty much the guy who swept the floor etc. when I was 16 in a company quite similar to where I work now, but it still gave me a good indication as to what working in such a place would be like, how people interacted, etc.

Also, I guess they are going to need spending money at that age, unless you plan to bankroll them?

Advertisement