Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Call me a sceptic..

• 20-06-2019 12:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭

A new section of bike lane materialized outside the Convention Centre in the last couple of days, just in time for https://www.velo-city2019.com. What you cant see in the photo is that cyclists are directed off the cycle path into the bus lane 50 meters back, then they cant get in past the slugs. They couldn't even get this right!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭homer911

My, aren't we brilliant..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭secman

Homer .... as you wish... you are a septic...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 59,547 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

secman wrote: »
    Homer .... as you wish... you are a septic...:)

I reckon he'd prefer to be called a 'sceptic' ;)

Absolute classic council project management. Can’t get the necessary contractors in the same place at the same time.

In the UK, my local council repainted the road outside our house, which was badly needed.

Two weeks later they resurfaced it.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭brianomc

The worst bicycle surface sections of the north quays have all been repaired in the last 2 weeks. The bus stop opposite heuston station, the section just after that, Arran Quay. If it is Velo related then we need them to come back every year.

And the pope too, he worked wonders on the surfaces in the phoenix park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭De Bhál

brianomc wrote: »
    The worst bicycle surface sections of the north quays have all been repaired in the last 2 weeks. The bus stop opposite heuston station, the section just after that, Arran Quay. If it is Velo related then we need them to come back every year.

and the Giro - perfect surface out to Portmarnock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

brianomc wrote: »

The pope did nothing for the cycle lanes in the Phoenix Park, the cycle lanes in and out of it at Parkgate St are a disgrace surface wise and a testament as to the views of the OPW and council towards cyclists in the park.
    They resurfaced a section of the road alright at the entrance at the time and I was hopeful they were going to do the cycle lanes since the machinery was in situe but that was wishful thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

homer911 wrote: »
    My, aren't we brilliant..

Is that the one outside dublin city councils office? Thought that one was particularly ironic, given that the south quays are a fast moving dual carriage way and the 30kph limit is universally ignored. Probably one of the most hostile places to cycle on in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

In a similarly sceptical vein, I note that all of the (many) flaws in the roads in my area were outlined in temporary white spray, as if they were going to be repaired.
    This, of course, was in the run-up to the local elections, when all of the candidates were meeting constituent on the doorsteps...

Now that the elections are over, the roads are in the same sorry state, and the marks are almost fully worn away by traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Type 17 wrote: »
    In a similarly sceptical vein, I note that all of the (many) flaws in the roads in my area were outlined in temporary white spray, as if they were going to be repaired.
    This, of course, was in the run-up to the local elections, when all of the candidates were meeting constituent on the doorsteps...

Now that the elections are over, the roads are in the same sorry state, and the marks are almost fully worn away by traffic.

That may have been a sportive. Its not legal but for practical safety reasons it is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

ED E wrote: »
    That may have been a sportive. Its not legal but for practical safety reasons it is done.

No, it's on all of the roads (main roads and side roads, including cul de sacs). Definitely for future repairs, rather than warning anyone about the issue.

Advertisement