Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Heaven is ...

• 18-06-2019 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

You clean your drivetrain and in a fit of unbridled optimism use dry-lube as opposed to gunky wet-lube, only to be rewarded with a couple of nice dry days :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

and you get to do it all over again :-)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I always use dry lube now, just more often when its wet, wet lube just seems to attract rubbish and wear down everything.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Oooooh yes, it is lovely. I also only use dry lube now, feic that gunky shyte I just put it on more often.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

nee wrote: »
    Oooooh yes, it is lovely. I also only use dry lube now, feic that gunky shyte I just put it on more often.
    It won't see you through a long ride in the rain though (unless you take a supply with you).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,218 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you may as well just buy 3-in-1 mineral oil for use as a light oil.

anyway, heaven is a tailwind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Speaking as an unrepentant lapsed catholic/embittered cyclist, I can honestly say that years of personal research convinces me that there is categorically no such thing as a heaven/tailwind.

If I become an un-lapsed catholic, will I earn the reward of a tailwind? Morally I'd hate myself, but that tailwind would sweep away all sense of guilt, I'm sure.

It won't see you through a long ride in the rain though (unless you take a supply with you).

This is true. Or even a commute in heavy weather.
    But nothing is worth that sticky shyte on my drivetrain. I have to clean my bikes out on the footpath with buckets of water, drawn down a stairs, it's gotta be as easy to degrease as possible!
    you may as well just buy 3-in-1 mineral oil for use as a light oil.

I went through a 3in1 oil phase, but it leaves the chain really black, which is pants.

Tailwinds exist. I have often headed out for a spin unknowingly with one behind me, thinking I'm deadly only to loop for home and discover the depth of my deadly-ness lack.

When you get out of town. That moment you stop hearing traffic and start hearing the world around you and the bike under you. Never gets old.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Athlone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

nee wrote: »
    This is true. Or even a commute in heavy weather.
    But nothing is worth that sticky shyte on my drivetrain. I have to clean my bikes out on the footpath with buckets of water, drawn down a stairs, it's gotta be as easy to degrease as possible!

I've been happily using ProGold ProLink for several years now. It goes on wet so easy to apply, but it acts like a dry lube in terms of not attracting crap or gumming up (so long as you wipe off the excess after applying it).

It claims to clean the chain as it goes, so when I re-apply it I just wipe the chain with a cloth and apply the fresh ProLink straight away. I don't actually use it on my commute bike as I tend to apply it on our good bikes after every long-ish ride and I just don't feel that kind of love for my commute bike, but in reality I reckon it would last at least a week or more of commuting.

It tends to wash out in sustained rain too but there is a ProLink Extreme version which apparently is more persistent, though I've yet to try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Dry lube on my good bike and wet lube on the wet/winter bike. I clean the chain on both regularly so they never get too gunned up.

doozerie wrote: »
    I've been happily using ProGold ProLink for several years now. It goes on wet so easy to apply, but it acts like a dry lube in terms of not attracting crap or gumming up (so long as you wipe off the excess after applying it).

It claims to clean the chain as it goes, so when I re-apply it I just wipe the chain with a cloth and apply the fresh ProLink straight away. I don't actually use it on my commute bike as I tend to apply it on our good bikes after every long-ish ride and I just don't feel that kind of love for my commute bike, but in reality I reckon it would last at least a week or more of commuting.

It tends to wash out in sustained rain too but there is a ProLink Extreme version which apparently is more persistent, though I've yet to try it.

Oooh I'll give that a go

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've been using Rock'n Roll Extreme for a few years on the recommendation of another boardsie here. Seems to do the job pretty well, doesn't leave any gunk and chain life seems good. Heaven is that new chain, cassette and cables feeling where the bike just seems to work right without making any additional random noises.

Re tailwinds, I had cycled down to South Wexford into the wind all the way a couple of years back and had a corresponding tailwind all the way home two days later. Return trip was an hour and a half shorter and the bike pretty much seemed cycled itself home. Gusty cross winds on the Sally gap are what freak me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Heaven is....

.....heading out at 5am on a beautiful summer's morning and bringing lights with you because you know you won't be back before nightfall.

Advertisement