Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Navigating the Wicklow Way as a Novice

• 05-06-2019 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭

I've been researching the Wicklow way and would love to make me way along it in 4 parts as laid out here http://www.wicklowway.com/trail-description/marlay-park-knockree.php Starting in Marlay Park and finishing in Glendalough.

I've a good level of fitness and solid sense of direction. Is the route well sign posted? I will be bringing maps but conscious of entering into a walk I've never experienced.

and secondly, would people know what the general terrain is to be expected? I know there's the sleeper-style walkways but is that the majority of the route?

All information and stories are appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

AhhHere wrote:
    All information and stories are appreciated.

There is a Wicklow way group on Facebook, joining it might give you more information than you'll receive here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's very easy to navigate, you have the yellow men all the way, just keep an eye out for them. The terrain is very mixed. You have tarmac road, forest fire roads, sleepers, rough rocky stuff such as on the shoulder of Djouce, soft grass. There's a few sleeper sections but they're far from the majority of the route.

Glendalough is a good spot to call a halt, although push through to the end of the next section into Glenmalure you'll be greeted with great pub and food.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

It is (was?) Pretty well sign posted. I've covered all of the ground in it in different pieces in my scouting years. But haven't been hiking at all in a few years now.

Buy an OS map and compass and learn to use them (of not already done), and you shouldn't go to far wrong.

I would think of you have a reasonable level of ability/fitness and have been walking in Irish mountains you would be fine. Good boots, rain gear, and off you go.

Disclaimer: I tend to over simplify the requirements for these things, but never had any major issues need on my approach. I feel others over-plan and train, for what is essentially a long walk.

The reality is your never very far from help or civilisation, of but on your own and/or have a charged phone you'll always have a way out of any trouble (extreme unexpected weather, injury, out just utterly lost)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭AhhHere

Excellent. Thanks for all of your help. I'm looking at running it in parts with a night accommodation in each stop. So hopefully the terrain is suitable. Was most worried about the tracks but seemingly they're not the full route. Which is positive. OS map and compass is no problem too.

I've been staring at the mountains from my office and think it's a challenge I'd be up for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭Enduro

The WW is about the easiest thing to navigate in the hills in Ireland. It is very well signposted with the "famous" yellow men. Having a map and compass is a good idea, but completely pointless if you don't know how to use them properly.

East West maps are particularly modern and detailed if you're going to be buying maps. You'll probably need more than one map to cover your intended route.

The full WW has been run in under 13 hours. It is 100% runnable to a trail runner, and probably more than 90% runnable to a non-trail runner. People often run Marley to Glendalough as a very long training run / recce for one of the races held on the WW, taking 6 - 8 hours or so.

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    The WW is about the easiest thing to navigate in the hills in Ireland. It is very well signposted with the "famous" yellow men. Having a map and compass is a good idea, but completely pointless if you don't know how to use them properly.

East West maps are particularly modern and detailed if you're going to be buying maps. You'll probably need more than one map to cover your intended route.

The full WW has been run in under 13 hours. It is 100% runnable to a trail runner, and probably more than 90% runnable to a non-trail runner. People often run Marley to Glendalough as a very long training run / recce for one of the races held on the WW, taking 6 - 8 hours or so.

If there's anyone's advice to take on this site for a Q like this, it's yours Enduro. A legend of the game. Thank you for the response.

I live in Dublin CC so the plan is to start there and run as much of the WW as I can. Reading The Way Of The Ultra Runner now so I've been inspired. Love trails but often cautious of going into ones I don't know and therefore over-plan most things. Might try do it one weekend now. Would like to do one go but if I'm starting in Dublin CC, I might have to break it up. But will research more and more.

As Enduro said, the EastWest map is excellent.

The first half has always been well signposted and easy enough to follow, the second half not so much so in places.

Interesting points: EastWest are based in Clonegal, the end point on the Wicklow way. The postal address is Clonegal, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford but the village in its entirety is in fact in Co. Carlow. Maps often show the village name as Clonegall, while locals spell it with a single L for the most part. I wonder does that make the cartographer (Barry?) twitch a little every time he writes it down, or is he located on the Wexford side of the river Derry to reconcile that internally?! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

JayZeus wrote: »
    Interesting points: EastWest are based in Clonegal, the end point on the Wicklow way. The postal address is Clonegal, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford but the village in its entirety is in fact in Co. Carlow. Maps often show the village name as Clonegall, while locals spell it with a single L for the most part. I wonder does that make the cartographer (Barry?)

If Barry would ever extend his EastWest business, he should hire you :D

unkel wrote: »
    If Barry would ever extend his EastWest business, he should hire you :D

Ah, he does a great job of it as it is!

For anyone visiting Clonegal, perhaps scouting some of the tail end of the route, take the time to have a walk around 'The Castle':

https://www.huntingtoncastle.com/

Not strictly outdoor pursuits, but I'd be doing a disservice to Clonegal if I didn't at least mention it.

The restoration/renovation work they've done there over the past number of years is absolutely incredible.

AhhHere wrote: »
    If there's anyone's advice to take on this site for a Q like this, it's yours Enduro. A legend of the game. Thank you for the response.

I live in Dublin CC so the plan is to start there and run as much of the WW as I can. Reading The Way Of The Ultra Runner now so I've been inspired. Love trails but often cautious of going into ones I don't know and therefore over-plan most things. Might try do it one weekend now. Would like to do one go but if I'm starting in Dublin CC, I might have to break it up. But will research more and more.

While I think of it... The only Navigational "gotcha"s I can think of with following the signposts are (1) mostly they are black marker posts, but on roads they can be brown signposts and (2) from the foot of fairy castle it overlaps with the Dublin Mountains way for a K or 2... pay attention to keep in the WW when they diverge.

These are good trails to learn on. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, just don't make the same mistake twice!

You can get a bus from the CC to Marley, which would save you having to be too worried about dealing with getting out through the city.

The wicklow way race is on this weekend, starting on Friday at midnight. Have a look at the tracking on that, and you will get an idea of pacing (but pay more attention to the back-markers).

http://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowwayrace19/

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    While I think of it... The only Navigational "gotcha"s I can think of with following the signposts are (1) mostly they are black marker posts, but on roads they can be brown signposts and (2) from the foot of fairy castle it overlaps with the Dublin Mountains way for a K or 2... pay attention to keep in the WW when they diverge.

These are good trails to learn on. Don't be afraid to make mistakes, just don't make the same mistake twice!

You can get a bus from the CC to Marley, which would save you having to be too worried about dealing with getting out through the city.

The wicklow way race is on this weekend, starting on Friday at midnight. Have a look at the tracking on that, and you will get an idea of pacing (but pay more attention to the back-markers).

http://live.primaltracking.com/wicklowwayrace19/

Amazing, thanks. This is all super helpful. You never know, I could compete in the Wicklow Way Race in a few years. All going well. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Blanc von lobster

EastWestMapping also do a good guide book of the Wicklow Way.

You can usually get a copy in Easons on O'Connell Street.

It's pretty light weight and designed to be carried on route.

AhhHere wrote: »
    Amazing, thanks. This is all super helpful. You never know, I could compete in the Wicklow Way Race in a few years. All going well. Thanks!

Well worth aiming for! Sure why not.

I've no association with him or his company, but I know the publications are superb and I really like to know that there's a guy living in the area there who's enthusiastic about what he's producing, the authenticity of it all and that he's active and involved with the community where he lives and all that.

Barry (that's the right name!) has been very good/supportive of the 'local' mountain rescue teams over the years, certainly of Dublin/Wicklow and Glen of Imaal, so in my books that's just another unnecessary excuse for me to pick up another map for the pile next time I see one on the shelf somewhere. Great Outdoors usually have them also, AFAIR.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,693 ✭✭✭✭unkel

EastWest maps are simply the best, better than all the rest :p

The first maps I bought were OSI a long time ago, but when I got serious about hiking, EastWest really are the only ones I would use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭donaghs

Roundwood and Glendalough/Laragh have shops. But if you're stopping in Knockree hostel, I'm fairly sure its just a hostel surrounded by farmland - Enniskerry is 10k away.

If you're running it, will you have enough gear/food to stop in knockcree?

The signposting and terrain should be fine from marley to glendalough, its aimed at walkers. some sections will be on regular rural tarmac roads. others through coillte forests. some exposed paths coming over the dublin mountains on the first day, and going by Djouce mountains on other days. Big hill on the first day from marley park exit up kilmashogue lane to the first mountain!

St. Kevins bus to dublin city still seems to be runinng also: http://www.glendaloughbus.com/

Advertisement