Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Storm Erik : Friday 8th February 2019

1131415161719»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I have a list of the daily data from Met Eireann for that day here in a messy spreadsheet form but some select data: (highest gust speeds)

Belmullet 70kt
    Ballyhaise 50kt
    Casement 55kt
    Cork Apt 60kt

Just looking through the data as I create tables before I go off to sleep and it says Malin Head recorded a max gust of 73 knots on 18th December 2013.

By the way, I got your request. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »

By the way, I got your request. :)

No rush Syran.

Might be handy just to create a sort of 'index', based on a more national average, to compare these named storms against each other.

New Moon

Was going to make one on the highest 10-minute mean wind speeds too but it's a bit late.

I included what I think are the most notable depressions of December 2013 and January 2014 though there were a few more like 30th/31st December and 24th/25th January. There would be a few more too to add from February 2014 such as the 1st, 5th, 8th and Valentine's Day.

4kZjn4L.png

Keep in mind, any data is open to error here.

Data comes from Met Éireann.

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    No rush Syran.

Might be handy just to create a sort of 'index', based on a more national average, to compare these named storms against each other.

I think that would be very good but how would we formulate this index. For storms to be compared against each other, I think other data like mean wind speeds should be considered than just maximum gusts.

Also, how do we decide on deep depressions that weren't named? Some examples of lows to be considered in such a category in my opinion:

*3 January 2012
    *8 December 2011
    *11 November 2010
    *17 January 2009
    *10 March 2008
    *27 October 2004
    *27 October 2002
    *26 December 1998
    *24 December 1997
    *5 January 1991
    *25 January 1990
    *26 February 1989
    *25 July 1988
    *9 February 1988
    *14 August 1979
    *2 January 1976
    *28 January 1974
    *16 January 1974
    *12 January 1974

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

sryanbruen wrote: »
    I think that would be very good but how would we formulate this index. For storms to be compared against each other, I think other data like mean wind speeds should be considered than just maximum gusts.

Also, how do we decide on deep depressions that weren't named? Some examples of lows to be considered in such a category in my opinion:

*3 January 2012
    *8 December 2011
    *11 November 2010
    *17 January 2009
    *10 March 2008
    *27 October 2004
    *27 October 2002
    *26 December 1998
    *24 December 1997
    *5 January 1991
    *25 January 1990
    *26 February 1989
    *25 July 1988
    *9 February 1988
    *14 August 1979
    *2 January 1976
    *28 January 1974
    *16 January 1974
    *12 January 1974

Fair points Syran, though I would suggest, just for the sake of simplicity, that just monitering gust speeds would be sufficenit as highest 10 min speeds are not that readily available to us on a day by day basis (except a month or two later when M.E release updated data up to the previous month)

I used to keep a record of mean daily windspeeds for each of the stations but stopped doing this last year due to time and (minor) health issues. I tend to just focus now daily temp, rainfall and pressure values.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

How about that great windstorm on or about 27 Feb 1903, may have had its peak gusts on 26th for some places? Are there many records we can compare from that one? I believe it did more damage to trees than even Darwin managed to do. Wind max tracked across south-central into eastern counties. The maps show a low tracking about where Darwin went, perhaps slightly further north.

I happen to have open that pressure file mentioned in the research thread, check this out (for grid point at 54N 6W):

26 Feb 18z __ 1001.4 mb

27 Feb 00z ___ 972.9 mb

27 Feb 06z ___ 973.6 mb

27 Feb 12z ___ 992.3 mb

(the archive map shows a closed 965 isobar but if the maps are accurate the pressure likely just stayed similar from 00z to 06z.)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Mount Vesuvius

I found this report on Storm "Darwin" very interesting with regard to how it analysed the weather warnings and timings. Also mentioned at the end that Harmonie is biased and thus the wind speeds by forecasters were somewhat reserved until storm in progress.
    Maybe this has already been posted.

https://emergency.copernicus.eu/mapping/sites/default/files/citations/2014StormDarwin.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

I had a look back and that report is accurate, the Kent railway station roof was damaged in the storm on 18 Dec 2013.

If you go back to that month in the weather forum, there was no dedicated thread for the storm, but it took up a fair amount of the discussion in a more general thread on Atlantic storms in Dec 2013. (the later named Erich on 27th-28th had its own thread, without mention of the name Erich in the thread title at least, didn't read the thread). This un-named storm on the 18th prompted a code red for parts of Connacht. There is a mention of the roof damage on page 44 of the thread with a tweet copied from the Irish Rail website.

The daily data portion of the met.ie website do not go back far enough for me to check, maybe sryanbruen or someone else can have a look and see what sort of peak gusts this event on the 18th Dec produced. If memory serves, there were also big storms in January 2014 that are not in the list of wind gusts yet, wasn't there one around the first week that did damage to coastal areas in west Munster? And here's a question, how did Erich come before Darwin in the same winter?

My recollection is that what hit the railway station was some sport of really localised event. I think GL described it as being caused by very localised up and down draughts (forgive lack of technical knowledge here!). I think it may have been associated with a sting jet feature or similar. The uninitiated like me were calling it a mini tornado! Think there's footage on youtube - it was pretty scary and dramatic - roof was just peeled off.

Highest 10-minute mean wind speeds for Storm Erik in comparison with other storms now that data is released.

beY9Phn.png

Data from Met Éireann.

Advertisement