Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bike Upgrade Advice

Options
  • 16-02-2018 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I’ve been trying to convince myself that I need a new bike, i.e. Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 8.0 (2017 with Ultegra + Mavic Ksyrium Pro Exalith SL wheelset) but it hasn’t worked, it looks great with great spec but I can’t justify the €2800. So I’m looking at upgrading my current bike instead (Planet X Pro Carbon, 10-spd sram rival with 11-34 cassette, AL30 wheelset and stock bars/stem/seatpost).
    I do about 100k – 200km per week between mid-week commute and some weekend group spins and have plans for lots of long spins, sportives and hill climbs over the coming months and during the summer. I’d like to see if I can swap out some of the stock components and finishing kit to see if it will make the bike a bit lighter, faster, small bit more comfortable.
    I’ve been keeping an eye on wheelset threads here and Fulcrum gets a good plug so I’m looking at set of Fulcrum Racing Zero C17 wheels for €729 (can get them with 25mm Continental Grand Prix 4000s II for €782). Just wondering if people think it’s worth the extra €120 to go for Fulcrum Racing Quattro wheels at €849 given that they are more or less same weight?
    I’d really like a set of Racing Zero Carbon wheels which are 1345g but €1200 so getting out of my upgrade budget.
    I know I’d be better off spending more time on the bike to get fitter which will help more than the wheels, I’d just like nicer wheels as I do so.
    I’d also like any opinion whether it’s worth going at changing stock handlebars/stem/seatpost/saddle to reduce weight or for better comfort and if there are any recommendations as to what to go for?
    Was looking at Fizik Antares R5 saddle but not sure if they are any good.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

For the sake of €120 I’d get the Fulcrum Quattro carbons. I have a set so I’m slightly biased. They’re lovely smooth wheels, lightweight at 1480g and look the business.

In regard to other components, yes you’ll reduce weight by upgrading them with lighter parts but you’ll find the biggest benefit from lighter wheels so upgrade them first.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I got a Canyon Ultimate SL 9.0 (Ultegra 6800, Ksyrium Elite wheelset, Fizik Antares saddle) for 1500€ or so from the Canyon outlet recently. It was a return or ex-demo but I couldn't see anything on it that suggested it was ever used before.

If I were you I'd keep the Planet X and current wheelset for the commute and winter rides, and get something like this for your sportives and weekend spins.

You need to check the outlet fairly regularly, if you look now all you can see are women's bikes, anything nice seems to disappear very quickly (I bought mine on impulse, it wasn't what I needed at all)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

I'd have a read of ridefar.org for some other ideas about what impacts you on the bike, albeit with a strong endurance-riding focus. The low impact of weight on performance is quite surprising.

The upgrades I'm happiest with on my own bike are
    - a leather saddle (B17 or similar)
    - tubeless tyres (schwalbe pro ones)
    - one of those canyon split seatposts (or any 27.2mm carbon one)

...the aim being to get less tired per km, rather than to shave off grams and then get vibrated to death.

Just my 2 cent.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Just buy the Canyon, once you have it it will justify itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wavehopper

thanks all for your comments
    I'll think about it some more, spend €1k on nice wheels with 25mm tyres, a canyon seatpost and new saddle or keep my bike as is and spend an extra €1.8k on new ultimate - I might have to convince more than myself that it's a good idea ;-)
    I just spotted a set of Mavic Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL C with 25mm tyres for €1,110 - they get very good reviews online so I might stretch to these if I'm going to upgrade. If anyone has these and don't recommend them, it would be good to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Spending a grand on wheels for a Planet X Pro Carbon is a bit nuts.

For the same money as the CF SLX 8.0 you could get a CF SL 8.0 DI2. That'd be my choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

Id go with the canyon too.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Wavehopper

Thanks Lumen + jamesd - I think ye might be right about spending a lot on my current bike
    I'll have to do bit more saving or keep eye out on Canyon Factory Outlet for a bargain on SL
    Will also keep eye out second hand (Cannondale Synapse, Cannon Ultimate/Endurace or Trek Domane)
    Saw this on ebay in uk this morning for €1700 but don't like the idea of buying and shipping this without seeing it:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2018-Custom-built-Full-carbon-Trek-Domane-SL-with-Mavic-Ksyrium-Elite-wheels/282850562072?hash=item41db351018:g:qToAAOSwaeFahs~i

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭letape

Personally I wouldn’t spend 1000 on a set of Wheels. I’d look around and find a second hand set for maybe 500/600. Plenty very lightly used sets around for that money or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭maldondo

I had both the Caynon Ultimate CF SLX Ultegra (2011) and a Planet X Pro Carbon (2015) Ultegra build, I ran Zondas on them both and loved both bikes.

The Caynon is a different animal in terms of stiffness and responsiveness but the pro carbon is a really underrated frame IMOP. You will notice the difference most with a wheel upgrade, tubs are hard to beat.

If you can afford it get the new bike, if not get it anyway! (Just make sure its the same colour as your old one so nobody will notice!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭Somedude9

<snip>

Mod Note: No advertising in the main forum I'm afraid, any questions PM me do not respond in thread.
    nee

Advertisement