Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buggy spaces Dublin Bus

• 28-11-2017 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

Not sure if all the DBs have these but basically now the first row to the left downstairs is a buggy space with the first two seats removed. There is a sign and picture of a buggy and how to park it in the space etc. I presume it's to separate it clearly from the designated wheelchair space.
    The priority seats are marked now behind the central standing space, the first seats on the right hand side.
    I was on a bus and a woman refused to move her shopping in front of her in one of those little wheelie carriers so that a buggy could use the buggy space. There was a wheelchair in the wheelchair space and it was all very awkward. It was freezing and beginning to rain so I felt bad for the mum with buggy who nearly had to leave the bus except driver let her squeeze in beside wheelchair.
    I use a sling with the baby myself on the bus to avoid all this hassle but just wondering who takes priority here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Basically first come served ,
    Never suprises me how few people with buggies are unwilling or have no Idea how to fold a buggy down despite buying them in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

Gatling wrote: »
    Never suprises me how few people with buggies are unwilling or have no Idea how to fold a buggy down despite buying them in the first place

I can't speak for anyone else but when I was bringing my baby anywhere in her buggy, the undercarriage usually held a bag full of nappies, wipes, spare (or dirty) clothes, a toy or two, possibly some shopping and maybe a cup of coffee for me. That alone would make it difficult to fold the pram but then babies have this inconsiderate desire to sleep all day long so I'd have to wake her, balance her over my shoulder, grab all my belongings, fold the buggy, lift it onto the shelf, find a seat and then repeat the process in reverse a few minutes later when getting off.

It was usually easier just to get off the bus if a person in a wheelchair needed it rather than go through all that. Getting off the bus is fine if you're not in a rush anywhere (like an appointment with the doctor or PHN or on your way to creche) and if your bus route is frequent (which plenty aren't).

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

Well you can't fold a buggy unless you have a toddler who can get out and stand while you do it so most people can't...plus what was said above about them being full of (necessary) crap!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

maxsmum wrote: »
    Well you can't fold a buggy unless you have a toddler who can get out and stand while you do it so most people can't...plus what was said above about them being full of (necessary) crap!

Yes you can ,
    Hundreds do it daily I've been there and done that with raising two kids ,a bit of forward planning goes a long way ,
    Even after major shoulder surgery i regularly had to take a less than 12month old baby out of a buggy and fold down despite having one arm incapacitated for 6 months ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

maxsmum wrote: »
    Not sure if all the DBs have these but basically now the first row to the left downstairs is a buggy space with the first two seats removed. There is a sign and picture of a buggy and how to park it in the space etc. I presume it's to separate it clearly from the designated wheelchair space.
    The priority seats are marked now behind the central standing space, the first seats on the right hand side.
    I was on a bus and a woman refused to move her shopping in front of her in one of those little wheelie carriers so that a buggy could use the buggy space. There was a wheelchair in the wheelchair space and it was all very awkward. It was freezing and beginning to rain so I felt bad for the mum with buggy who nearly had to leave the bus except driver let her squeeze in beside wheelchair.
    I use a sling with the baby myself on the bus to avoid all this hassle but just wondering who takes priority here.

The driver should never let them do that.

In an accident situation.

The weight of an adult in a heavy motorised chair VS a baby in a pram.

There would be one clear winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

one of my clearest childhood memory is my Parents (and everyone else's Parents) folding the pushchair as a matter of course before boarding. I'd wager that pushchairs back then (100 years ago very nearly) were more cumbersome and difficult to fold than today's.

Yes but in this case there was no competition for buggies. There was one wheelchair, one wheelchair space; one buggy, one buggy space and a woman with a shopping bag in the buggy space. I understand that if a second buggy wants to get on, it would obviously have to be folded.

Yes you can ,
    Hundreds do it daily I've been there and done that with raising two kids ,a bit of forward planning goes a long way ,
    Even after major shoulder surgery i regularly had to take a less than 12month old baby out of a buggy and fold down despite having one arm incapacitated for 6 months ,

That's amazing. My buggy isn't an umbrella fold, it's a Bugaboo so a heavy twopiece hence I always use sling when out on public transport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

God yeh I remember the days of getting a baby out of a buggy while keeping a hand on a toddler and folding a buggy down to get on the bus with the shopping. In those days there was a space under the stairs for the folded buggy if someone's shopping wasn't there already. Don't know how we managed!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tickityboo

God yeh I remember the days of getting a baby out of a buggy while keeping a hand on a toddler and folding a buggy down to get on the bus with the shopping. In those days there was a space under the stairs for the folded buggy if someone's shopping wasn't there already. Don't know how we managed!

We managed because nobody pussyfooted or pandered to us and because we didn't moan about every goddamn thing!!

But here's the best bit.. we all survived!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Why should a certain category of people who can't walk be treated with less dignity than another class of people who can't walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Why should a certain category of people who can't walk be treated with less dignity than another class of people who can't walk?

A baby or toddler is light weight and can be carried or sit in a seat temporarily, an adult whos legs don't work can't be plucked up the same way and held in someones arms or kept in a seat.

This, just like a lot of "problems" that have suddenly decided to invent themselves in the last 10 years and masquerade as dire crises in society to the determent of attention for actual problems, is a new affair.
    Back before the Bertie govt passed the Disability Act in the early 2000s ripping half the country up (rightly) to make way for wheelchairs etc you just folded the god damn buggy up, knowing in advance you might have to do that (ie kept it in mind re how much in terms of bags you could stick in a net or undercarriage) and got on with your life.
    You didn't decide your convenience (and that's all it is) should come before the needs of wheelchair users in blocking spaces (remember the busses, darts, buildings were NOT renovated / replaced for buggies they were done for special needs and disabled).

The OP cited a totally different brand of problem in this area: people who don't even have the excuse of a buggy, we used to know these people as a**holes, now they have to be pandered to lest we hurt their feelings. I have found myself sitting in these seats on short trips and when I see a wheelchair (or in the space on the left a buggy) coming I get my ass up and move, or if necessary stand. To do otherwise is the height of rudeness.

The same goes for a bag on a seat, if you want it there when there are tonnes of free seats for convenience fine, IMO, but when the train or bus fills up put it on the floor.

I'm noticing a problem, much as I am a millennial it seems more in my own generation but gen x'ers are getting pulled into this crap as well, where in recent years we were , for good reason, trying to be more sensitive to issues like bullying and discrimination and sexism, which we ought to continue to do, but we seem to be swinging full circle to the point now where some people seem to think they have a right not to be remotely disturbed, offended or inconvenienced in any way (or in some bizzare cases I'm still amazed I actually saw, confronted with an alternative opinion) and if they are it's taken as an attack.
    THis seems to me to defeat the entire purpose of the effort to be more sensitive to other peoples feelings - it's making people think they have a right to never be disturbed, thus turning them into douchebags and thus...being insensitive to peoples feelings!!! The very thing we were trying to stop in the first place! One of the most important lessons we ought to be teaching our kids that appears to be missing in the up and comings my gen included: There are other people in the world besides you and they deserve consideration too, even if it involves inconveniencing or upsetting you.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So basically we need to remove some more seating for a special "old person stroller" area then?

Next you have some cyclist with a foldup bike filling that space, so we'll need another couple of seats pulled out to allow that.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭liger

So basically we need to remove some more seating for a special "old person stroller" area then?

Next you have some cyclist with a foldup bike filling that space, so we'll need another couple of seats pulled out to allow that.

Actually, couldn't they remove 1 side of seating completely (lower Saloon) to allow 3 or 4 buggys on and create more standing space for peak time travelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

liger wrote: »
    Actually, couldn't they remove 1 side of seating completely (lower Saloon) to allow 3 or 4 buggys on and create more standing space for peak time travelling.

just get rid of all the seats and everyone can stand (apart from those in wheelchairs). At that stage you could just use a flatbed truck, think of the cost savings!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    A baby or toddler is light weight and can be carried or sit in a seat temporarily, an adult whos legs don't work can't be plucked up the same way and held in someones arms or kept in a seat.

Define the crossover age.
    Should a disabled 17yr11mth be treated the same as a 1mth old person?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

liger wrote: »

The buggy space on BE city buses in Cork seems larger and I've been on with three buggies in the space side by side facing the window!

I do however have a very light and portable buggy that is easy to fold. It literally folds small enough to fit under an airplane seat :D

Too many parents today have monstrous sized buggies, with massive wheels suitable for going up a mountain, which are completely unsuited to cities and transport.

We have one of those too, but opted to also get a light one for transport use and it has been great.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Tickityboo wrote: »
    We managed because nobody pussyfooted or pandered to us and because we didn't moan about every goddamn thing!!

But here's the best bit.. we all survived!!

Survived? Is this the same generation which became more and more wedded to their cars and of a lot of them get precious anytime somebody mentions reallocating space to public transport, pedestrians or cycling? That generation?

just get rid of all the seats and everyone can stand (apart from those in wheelchairs). At that stage you could just use a flatbed truck, think of the cost savings!

Some flip seats? Maybe a longer vehicle? Level boarding at every stop?

435565.PNG

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It worked before... http://www.rte.ie/archives/2013/0806/466665-dublin-bus-strike-1979/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Yes you can ,

Ha ha ha, you had two kids, one arm tied behind your back holding the 2 children I suppose, while also standing there on a moving bus folding the buggy all at the same time.

Weirdly I have yet to see anyone do even half of that.

They are safer in the buggy either way, so that's where mine will stay

I even know how to fold down the buggy, I am amazing

The big buggies are perfectly suited to city life and not for climbing mountains as someone suggested, that's why they are so popular

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Isambard wrote: »
    one of my clearest childhood memory is my Parents (and everyone else's Parents) folding the pushchair as a matter of course before boarding. I'd wager that pushchairs back then (100 years ago very nearly) were more cumbersome and difficult to fold than today's.
    worth noting that if you can remember it, you weren't a (or the) baby.

buggies when i were a nipper were much more lightweight affairs. that said, nappies were basically made from lightweight sandpaper, so easier to carry.

there's a chap in our office whose finger doesn't work properly due to being trapped in a folding buggy when he was a kid in the early 80s, but in the stiff upper lip vein of several posts above, it never did him any harm and sure we don't complain about it because we were tough in them days.

bk wrote: »
    The buggy space on BE city buses in Cork seems larger and I've been on with three buggies in the space side by side facing the window!

I do however have a very light and portable buggy that is easy to fold. It literally folds small enough to fit under an airplane seat :D

Too many parents today have monstrous sized buggies, with massive wheels suitable for going up a mountain, which are completely unsuited to cities and transport.

We have one of those too, but opted to also get a light one for transport use and it has been great.

This is it. People now have transport systems, not buggies! If you want to use a bus you should bring a suitable perambulator (I look it up) and not some monstrosity you were guilted into buying by your "friend" on the facebook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭PeterParker957

Ha ha ha, you had two kids, one arm tied behind your back holding the 2 children I suppose, while also standing there on a moving bus folding the buggy all at the same time.

Weirdly I have yet to see anyone do even half of that.

They are safer in the buggy either way, so that's where mine will stay

I even know how to fold down the buggy, I am amazing

The big buggies are perfectly suited to city life and not for climbing mountains as someone suggested, that's why they are so popular

Not on the LUAS at rush hour they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

Define the crossover age.
    Should a disabled 17yr11mth be treated the same as a 1mth old person?

What does it matter if they are special needs or not? If you are small you can be picked up or sit in a seat, unless your have a condition that prohibits that, in which case, logically, it depends on the situation and you can explain that in the circumstances you would do xyz but for (nature of condition). We can all still behave like adults not hysterical social media queens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,182 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    We can all still behave like adults not hysterical social media queens.
    there's a whiff of irony here; the above comparison is a bit hysterical.

Advertisement