Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Birch Trees

• 23-07-2020 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hi all ,

I’m getting my driveway landscaped and am considering a small tree. (Area of the bedding will be about 3m wide and 7m long)

My question is does anyone have a birch tree in their front garden? I love the look of the white bark, but was told they grow very large. Anyone know of any dwarf versions etc?

Thanks 😊
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,045 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a cluster of 4 or 5 birches in a smallish space beside my drive (about 4m x 4m) and they are fine. They are squashed between the front hedge and the side of an old stone building, and about 3 - 4m back from the drive. They are probably 20 years old. I am very rural. They do get tall but not massive - they stay quite slender. It depends on the actual site, but I would think you would be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

The weeping birch (betula "youngii") is a nice tree that is slower growing than the other birches, also the max height would be 20 -25 feet rather than 50 -80 feet (silver birch).
    10097-betula-pendula-youngii-habi02.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 26,921 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

wayoutwest wrote: »
    The weeping birch (betula "youngii") is a nice tree that is slower growing than the other birches, also the max height would be 20 -25 feet rather than 50 -80 feet (silver birch).
    10097-betula-pendula-youngii-habi02.jpg

Fabulous looking tree, and garden I might add.

I've a number of silver birch trees and whilst they can grow very large, the trunks remain narrow and easy to manage. One draw back I have to say is the leaves in winter. Foliage very small and leaves get everywhere, so if you can live with that, silver birch a lovely tree.

As an aside, my Mountain Ash in bloom, so if its a little color you want, another lovely tree and easy to manage, The birds love the Berries

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Dempo1 wrote: »
    Fabulous looking tree, and garden I might add.

I've a number of silver birch trees and whilst they can grow very large, the trunks remain narrow and easy to manage. One draw back I have to say is the leaves in winter. Foliage very small and leaves get everywhere, so if you can live with that, silver birch a lovely tree.

As an aside, my Mountain Ash in bloom, so if its a little color you want, another lovely tree and easy to manage, The birds love the Berries

Can you post a photo of the mountain ash?

Can you post a photo of the mountain ash?

I'll try, image to large, I'll see if I can make file smaller

• Advertisement

Mountain Ash in Bloom

Here is a better picture of betula "youngii" showing how the branches 'weep' down to the ground.image_5420.jpg

wayoutwest wrote: »
    Here is a better picture of betula "youngii" showing how the branches 'weep' down to the ground.image_5420.jpg

Fabulous, I've taken a picture for OP of one of my Silver Birch, 20 years old, gown from sapling, actually got 4 of them from local Bog and free. I'm guessing it's 50 foot at least. Sorry about the clothes line and weather here in the Slieve Blooms :)

Silver Birch

Silver Birch

The good thing about birch trees is you can successfully coppice them (cut them down to the ground) before they become a threat to powerlines etc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

If you are looking for a smaller tree with good bark then Acer griseum can be a good one.

Good bark effect from red pealing bark. Nice leaf shape. Good Autumn colour. Interesting large fat helicopter seeds (but 99.9% if not all of them are normally sterile so you don't get seedings like with sycamore).

https://www.ornamental-trees.co.uk/acer-griseum-tree-p260

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,913 ✭✭✭v638sg7k1a92bx

Mountain Ash in Bloom

Looks really nice. Thanks for posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Weeping Birch is a very attractive tree. But not near car and driveway? I have neighbours one leaning over my drive/car and sticky sap sprays car with residue that is difficult to shift. It also attracts greenfly . The tiny leaves seem to shed all the time and get stuck in all the crevices of my car also. In winter and storms there are constantly small twigs littering ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭podge018

I have 3 downy birches (I think) side by side in my garden, they seem to have sprung off the root of the first one. About 40-50 foot tall now I'd say. Provide great cover from neighbours over back wall in Spring/Summer, but just a bit worried about them as they weren't "planned"as such. Their roots are coming up all over the lawn now too, mainly where we stand to push the kids on the swing. Reckon we are compressing the soil there and roots are coming up for water, but who knows. Then I seen the other day that a lot of the lower leaves have gone dirty black and the underside is crawling with mites. Then there's all the leaves that fall in autumn that I have to deal with. These things seem hassle than they're worth and am considering getting rid altogether. Presume that's a big job?

Find it astonishing how quickly these things grew.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭standardg60

OP the Himalayan birch would be much better to your needs, 'jacquemontii' is the most common variety.

Advertisement