Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Replacement router for VM superhub

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

You can't actually replace the VM hub as VM only authorises their own devices to connect to their network.

You would need to put the hub into bridge mode to use your own router at home

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You can't actually replace the VM hub as VM only authorises their own devices to connect to their network.

You would need to put the hub into bridge mode to use your own router at home

You will also need to make sure you have an ipv4 address as dslite which VM use does not support bridging.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

VM will set up the ipv4 without much hassle these days because a lot of people need it to log in for working from home. My brother in law had awful hassle trying to get it done last year, but we had it done a few weeks ago and all we had to do was text their WhatsApp and it was done within 30 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I'm aware you can't replace it totally and still need it for modem mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

I'm using an AC2300 with Virgin. Gives a good signal throughout a 3-bed semiD. Only cons are that it does run very warm and the powerbrick with 3-pin adapter is ugly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 oneway2

What speeds are you getting. I've just had a VM tech out to the house as i was only getting 275 speed. The tech replaced some cables and connected a new Hub 3.0 (same HW revision as the existing one). We were getting 500 speed on both wi-fi and Ethernet. After the tech left, I put the Hub back into modem mode and noe I'm back to the 275 speed.
    What's the top speed you can get in modem mode?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,702 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think 500 is the max speed Virgin provides in Ireland, you won't get gigabit speeds with Virgin until they launch a gigabit service here.

Thanks Gonzo, but it's a bit more specific. I can get 500 speed using the Hub 3.0 in router mode, but as soon as I turn it into modem mode the speed drops to max 300.
    I'm trying to ask if anyone else is seeing this behaviour when switching from router mode to modem mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

oneway2 wrote: »
    Thanks Gonzo, but it's a bit more specific. I can get 500 speed using the Hub 3.0 in router mode, but as soon as I turn it into modem mode the speed drops to max 300.
    I'm trying to ask if anyone else is seeing this behaviour when switching from router mode to modem mode.

As in, you put it to modem mode, plug into the hub directly and get 300, or you plug your replacement router in and get 300 through it?

Both!
    I'm getting max 300 speed on Cat6 (Windows shows 1Gbps) when either conected to the Hub in modem mode or to a Netgear X8 (D8500) router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

I've got a 240Mbps connection from Virgin. Testing with an iPad and using the Tether app speedtest I'm getting a steady 239 Mbps Wi-Fi throughout the house. Using Ookla it's about 220 Mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

oneway2 wrote: »

I left VM before the 500 package came in but would have been getting the full 360Mps from my package at the time in modem mode on the Hub3

Advertisement