Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Your favourite Late Late Show (post a clip?)

• 15-07-2020 11:51pm

I have a feeling this might be the wrong forum, but it doesn't really fit in TV either as that's more geared towards current TV. Apologies mods if this is the wrong forum.

I went through a craze of watching old Late Lates recently, there are some really great classic ones that a lot of people might be familiar with, so I thought I'd post this.

It's a Clancy Brothers Special from 1984. A lot of us probably weren't even born, but looking at it now, I can understand why my parents loved this programme. Great presenter, talented entertainment, and these guys are really funny.

Might not be everybody's cup of tea, but does any clip or interview stand out for you?

By the way, I fully appreciate the above clip is some people's idea of Hell

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

That one where the lad came up on stage and called Pat Kenny an ars3h0le.

Or the one where the lady didn’t want the toy show tickets and Pat tore them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

A lot of my favourite LLS memories aren't online unfortunately. The time circa 1986 when Barry Mcguigan was on with a female boxer (can't recall her name) Gaybo took a call from a young sounding lad with a strong Dublin accent who had a question for the lady boxer 'dya fight bare chested?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

https://youtu.be/qBYqNj7Rrh4 Mimed to their song, wrecked the stage while having sellotape all over their face, heckled Gaybo and dry bumped each other. For me the greatest musical performance on the Late Late ever.

franglan wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/qBYqNj7Rrh4 Mimed to their song, wrecked the stage while having sellotape all over their face, heckled Gaybo and dry bumped each other. For me the greatest musical performance on the Late Late ever.
    Thats brilliant, awful and hilarious. Off their head on pills!

They didn't even get an applause, which was criminal, but I like Gay's reaction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

• Advertisement

The heckler was already posted, apologies

A FIELD

OK this one so instead:

Where Gay makes it clear that he disapproves of Tom and tries to make a fool of him, and Tom is just like "ehhh, ok." and charms the sh!t out of the audience in spite of the granny following him around chastising him.

I enjoyed watching Gaybo as a child but I think it was because he was as pious as my granny so I related to him. Any clips I see of him these days make me realise that as forward thinking as he apparently was, I don't have that affinity for him anymore. :D

I feel kind of bad for Frank Mccourt here because he was clearly set up to be attacked by a lunatic but it's quality TV nonetheless.

Ps that yellow suit definitely belongs in "All things Retro" forum

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭KevRossi

This. It was one of many watersheds for Irish society in the 90's. Politicians never really got over it. It became a victory for the little people.

Gaybo just kept on feeding him rope. Masterclass of an interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

s1ippy wrote: »

I feel kind of bad for Frank Mccourt here because he was clearly set up to be attacked by a lunatic but it's quality TV nonetheless.

Whatever about the suit in its own right, the yellow suit, yellow shirt and yellow tie combo is a major faux pas.

s1ippy wrote: »

That was Pat Kennys debut LLS. There was no way Gaybo would have allowed that drunken gobshyte in the yellow suit so much airtime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,110 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The show where the term DLB was coined at 15:30, the 2 lads off their heads somewhere in Northern Spliffland...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭franglan

KevRossi wrote: »
    This. It was one of many watersheds for Irish society in the 90's. Politicians never really got over it. It became a victory for the little people.

Gaybo just kept on feeding him rope. Masterclass of an interview.

Yep Gaybo let him hang himself in his self-importance. Have to say I regularly put on my posh Mayo accent and recreate this. "It's a well paid job..."

The show where the term DLB was coined at 15:30, the 2 lads off their heads somewhere in Northern Spliffland...

One of the very few memorable moments (maybe the only) from Tubs tenure.

A lot of my favourite LLS memories aren't online unfortunately.
    It's a pity there's no attempt to put archived RTE programmes online, such as the National Library is doing with its records.

I'd love to just pick a random LLS from the 1960s or 1970s to see what people were speaking about, and how they spoke, just to get a feeling of what life was like.

Even little things, like in s1ppy's clip above (feat. Tom Waits), I like how the producers had to ring Gay on the desk phone, to tell him Tom Waits is coming on (and probably "he's very high")

It's a pity there's no attempt to put archived RTE programmes online, such as the National Library is doing with its records.

I'd love to just pick a random LLS from the 1960s or 1970s to see what people were speaking about, and how they spoke, just to get a feeling of what life was like.

Even little things, like in s1ppy's clip above (feat. Tom Waits), I like how the producers had to ring Gay on the desk phone, to tell him Tom Waits is coming on (and probably "he's very high")

I think very little of the 60s/early 70s LLS exists because of the policy of wiping tapes for reuse which was rife at the time. BBC did it too, whole chunks of Dr Who and classic sitcoms are missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭cml387

I think very little of the 60s/early 70s LLS exists because of the policy of wiping tapes for reuse which was rife at the time. BBC did it too, whole chunks of Dr Who and classic sitcoms are missing.

The whole area of TV archive is unfortuantely one of those what-ifs.

Videotape was hugely expensive and so was re used. Another interesting point is that with the advent of colour it was believed that keeping monochrome recordings was pointless becasue no one would want to watch them.

The LLS archive doesn't exist much before the eighties. Legend has it that on a dicussion one Saturday night, Garrett Fitzgerald was so engaged in the conversation that he drove down to RTE and was put on air immediately.

Mind you it has had some moments on Gay's tenure that are available:

The prizewinner whose daughter had been killed that week.
    Peter Brooke singing My Darling Clementine the day after a massacre in NI

Now this is something I wish I'd seen, sounds like an epic appearance by Oliver Reed. Unfortunately either the footage was wiped or it wasn't recorded in the first place. Coming into the late 70's it seemed to be a toss up with what was preserved of the LLS. Suspect that they might have wiped it because it may have been seen as embarrassing for RTE though. Theres a faint hope that an off air recording might surface though not many households in Ireland had video recorders then, they weren't long on the market and the country was in recession.

http://www.rodtaylorsite.com/thelatelateshow.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Tubridy's face when Blindboy from the Rubberbandits used the term 'Gascuntism' on the show.

Francis Higgins has some quality ones he's ripping to shreds at the moment.

Oh my god they must have some seriously disenfranchised researchers to let people like this call in!

Plank calls one of the most famous actors at the time by the wrong name and then conducts one of the most awkward interviews I've ever seen.

Now this is classic Plank. Its stuff like this that earned him the Alan Partridge comparisions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭George White

That was Pat Kennys debut LLS. There was no way Gaybo would have allowed that drunken gobshyte in the yellow suit so much airtime.
    I think you'll find he's like that when he's sober.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7IqJ5uPPQYRElPVpYMquOA
    He had all of these videos where he chronicled deaths in Limerick at the turn of the century.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

My absolute favourite clip of all time !
    Very funny, and a great song, she was the best <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kn-xVsuLcP4

Perfect motto for our times, too. #soapyourarse

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

When Gay interviewed Leonard Nimoy in 1995. I think Leonard might have promoting his memoir I am Spock

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

branie2 wrote: »
    When Gay interviewed Leonard Nimoy in 1995. I think Leonard might have promoting his memoir I am Spock

I'd love to see a clip of that.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Advertisement