Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2021 Bride/Groom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Teach30

Anyone have nay idea what place like City hall are going to do,

They where completely booked up for weddings this year on Fridays and Saturdays and only had a couple of days left for 2021,

So how do they accommodate the weddings that can't happen this year ?

I'm not one of these people but just wondering what they would do ,

Our hotel showed us the dates they had left for next year and none are suitable. We have to look elsewhere. We don’t know yet if they’ll give us the deposit back or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,506 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Batgurl wrote: »
    I imagine all that can do is offer couples whatever dates they have available, be they weekday or later than next year.

There is going to have to be a lot of compromises by people who have been impacted by this. I’m not saying it’s fair and it’s certainly unfortunate but it’s fact.

Id imagine next year we will see a huge increase in midweek weddings on days that would normally be quite ,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Is anyone else due to be married in early 2021? We are April. Thankfully we had everything booked last year so we are not struggling to get suppliers. I’m hopeful of it going ahead but I suppose it will really depend on if/when a second wave of Covid hits. I haven’t looked for dresses yet and I’m starting to get a bit nervous that I’ll be cutting it tight for time. I’ve been told to give myself 6 weeks for alterations and minimum of 6 months for order to come in so working backwards I need to have a dress ordered by September at the absolute latest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Is anyone else due to be married in early 2021? We are April. Thankfully we had everything booked last year so we are not struggling to get suppliers. I’m hopeful of it going ahead but I suppose it will really depend on if/when a second wave of Covid hits. I haven’t looked for dresses yet and I’m starting to get a bit nervous that I’ll be cutting it tight for time. I’ve been told to give myself 6 weeks for alterations and minimum of 6 months for order to come in so working backwards I need to have a dress ordered by September at the absolute latest?

I ordered my dress in February and it arrived in May. Had 2 alterations 2 weeks apart and my dress was ready for the day. Designed and made in the UK so perhaps that made a difference.

From my experience of shopping for wedding dresses, the whole 6-month thing is just something shops say to pressure you into buying. In fact, 1 shop I went to told me, very matter of factly, that there would be a 6-month lead time on all dresses.

When I then told them that I better leave it so as my wedding is less than 6 months away, they changed their tune and suddenly the 6-months was a recommendation and worst case scenario they could “order it priority”.

Hello! I'm a Spring 2021 bride as well :) and also booked everything last year. I found my dress in February. I'm immuno compromised and am cocooning, I go to hospital regularly for treatment so I'm really glad I went shopping when I did.

Whereabouts will you be shopping? :) as previously said, some shops will say 6 months, but it depends on the designer, and you also have sample sales, or off the rack, or you can even have your dress made locally if you are so inclined :D

I was nervous going in to try on dresses, but it was a really lovely, exciting time. I know it's hard at the moment to be excited about anything, and hopefully soon we'll have some normality return, and can get you into a dress shop :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I actually ended up buying my dress online! I wanted tea length so it was probably easier to find online but I had been planning on going to boutiques until this dress kept screaming at me in Wolf and Badger ads! I haven't had a chance to start on alterations but I'm hoping that I can once restrictions start lifting.

Might be another option depending on what you're looking for? Wolf and Badger were great for me and offee free returns which is obviously important!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Hey, I'm April 2021. I have two dress appointment bookings for the middle of June and really want a dress sorted asap. If I don't find anything after these two fittings I am strongly considering looking online. If anyone has any recommendations I would really appreciate it :-)
    I know what you're saying about being hopeful it will go ahead, I feel the same. It's very uncertain at the moment and my hearts goes out to 2020 brides.

Thanks all! Really wished I started looking earlier now but at the time we had a few weddings soon for people in our bridal party and I didn’t want to step on toes\steal the thunder in the run up to their big day.

I have made appointments for July and August so fingers crossed I find something then. Good to know that the 6 month thing is flexible! That’s really put my mind at ease :)

I’ve been browsing online but I’m very short so while I have found dresses I like the look of I don’t know what they’ll be like on me, I’m not anything like the models! There’s one dress in a boutique in Belfast that I’m drawn to repeatedly. They offer a ‘try at home service’ for £120 where they will post you three gowns along with some accessories and clips to adjust the sizing but it’s also £120 for postage. I just don’t know if it’s worth that much expense.

@eskie I’ve appointments made with Alice May bridal, memories bridal, The White and Gold and The White Room.

If anyone has other boutique recommendations I’d love to hear them!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I’ve been browsing online but I’m very short so while I have found dresses I like the look of I don’t know what they’ll be like on me, I’m not anything like the models! There’s one dress in a boutique in Belfast that I’m drawn to repeatedly. They offer a ‘try at home service’ for £120 where they will post you three gowns along with some accessories and clips to adjust the sizing but it’s also £120 for postage. I just don’t know if it’s worth that much expense.

Can you ask if they'd take that £120 off the price if you decide to buy one of the dresses?

I wouldn't worry about being short! Alterations will take that into account in many cases, like taking dresses up at the waist rather than the hem, I'd reckon. The only thing I'd worry about trying on at home is do you have a big enough mirror with enough light and space? It depends on the style you're interested in, but my dress was huge in the skirt and I'd probably struggle to get an accurate representation in my mind without that little podium thing they stand you on in a big bright room with lots of mirrors.

Faith wrote: »
    Can you ask if they'd take that £120 off the price if you decide to buy one of the dresses?

I wouldn't worry about being short! Alterations will take that into account in many cases, like taking dresses up at the waist rather than the hem, I'd reckon. The only thing I'd worry about trying on at home is do you have a big enough mirror with enough light and space? It depends on the style you're interested in, but my dress was huge in the skirt and I'd probably struggle to get an accurate representation in my mind without that little podium thing they stand you on in a big bright room with lots of mirrors.

Yeah if I buy the dress they take £120 off the price but if I don’t like it then I’m down £240 so just seems like a bit too much money when I don’t even know what style suits me. Maybe I’ll hang on until I’ve actually tried a few on. Good point about the mirror too! I wouldn’t have thought your dress was HUGE but I suppose a bog standard full length home mirror wouldn’t have cut the mustard to get the full idea of how it looked!

• Advertisement

Yeah if I buy the dress they take £120 off the price but if I don’t like it then I’m down £240 so just seems like a bit too much money when I don’t even know what style suits me. Maybe I’ll hang on until I’ve actually tried a few on. Good point about the mirror too! I wouldn’t have thought your dress was HUGE but I suppose a bog standard full length home mirror wouldn’t have cut the mustard to get the full idea of how it looked!

It wasn't quite My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding :D. But ballgown styles are pretty heavy and do take up a lot of space! If you're thinking of sleeker styles, then that wouldn't be an issue, of course.

The more I think about it, the less keen I'd be to try on at home. The fastenings can be quite tricky too, and bridal shops are well used to doing them up in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I'm an April 2021 bride too- we've luckily booked almost everything now, we had to pounce asap once we got engaged and *everything* hit a few weeks later.

I've 2 bridal dress appointments for Sept, I'm hopeful I'll find THE dress in one of those places. I have a few back up stores I'll go to if not!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Has anyone looked into notification of intent yet? Obviously it's not looking possible in the near future but I had a quick look at the booking website for Dublin and can't seem to find any appointments all the way up to January. I'm not sure if they've just blocked the system for now but it's making me panicky.

Our wedding isn't until June but I'm born abroad from a more "unusual" country so I want to make sure we have everything done in plenty of time in case it causes issues. I know about the authentication so I'm getting a consulate I know on that soon. Is there anything else I need? I am an Irish citizen.

I think they’ve blocked off appointments for the rest of the year. We are April so I’ll probably email them in October/November to get the ball rolling if appointments are not back open by then. I’d say it will be very busy though due to so many 2020 weddings being rearranged.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

We’re January and I emailed the Dublin office about two weeks ago. They phoned and booked us in for October. So probably no harm in getting on to them anyway.

allym wrote: »
    We’re January and I emailed the Dublin office about two weeks ago. They phoned and booked us in for October. So probably no harm in getting on to them anyway.

I though it had to be within 6 months of your wedding date though? That was the only reason I was holding out! I’ll email them today so, one more thing off my list :)

Anyone one else hesitant about paying a deposit to hotel and then hotel going out of business? We’ve had to postpone wedding and change hotels as they couldn’t accommodate for a good date next year.

Would Wedding insurance cover something like this?

You’d be best to ask the insurer directly. It will depend on the details of the policy you took out, not all wedding insurance will cover the same details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

I though it had to be within 6 months of your wedding date though? That was the only reason I was holding out! I’ll email them today so, one more thing off my list :)

No as far as I know it’s a minimum of 3 months before but you can do it any time before that. They might give you an appointment for nearer the time so they’ve more availability for everyone who had to reschedule!

The date that your wedding occurs has to be within 6 months of the date that you set at that appointment (so if your planned date is 1.4.2021, it has to actually take place before 2.10.2021, or else you'll need a new appointment).

The appointment itself has to take place at least 3 months before your planned date, so if the appointment was on 1.10.20, you could, theoretically, bring your wedding date forward to 2.1.2021 or any time after, until 6 months post the original planned date.

But you can have the appointment at any time once you have a date in mind. We had ours in June 2014 and got married in August 2015 :)

• Advertisement

Thanks all! Really wished I started looking earlier now but at the time we had a few weddings soon for people in our bridal party and I didn’t want to step on toes\steal the thunder in the run up to their big day.

I have made appointments for July and August so fingers crossed I find something then. Good to know that the 6 month thing is flexible! That’s really put my mind at ease :)

@eskie I’ve appointments made with Alice May bridal, memories bridal, The White and Gold and The White Room.

If anyone has other boutique recommendations I’d love to hear them!!

I think I'm in a different part of the country (the west) so my recommendations may not suit you, but I have heard great things about the White Room in Mullingar :) I know a good few brides that found 'The One' there.

Your short height doesn't matter when trying on full legth dresses in boutiques, I had no issue and I'm quite petite. I didn't even put on heels in the places I went to, I just got up on the pedestel, and you couldn't tell once up on a height that the dress was miles too long :D

It is great to hear that there are places trying to adapt to the current situation. I just don't know about trying on at home? I wouldn't have the right set up at all, or someone on hand to help with doing up the back of the dress and applying clips to adjust the fit if needed, apart from himself and I would rather keep the dress as a surprise :)
    I would also like to be able to ask questions and get some guidance from the staff as I had no idea what style would suit me when I started looking, but then not all are as clueless as me :)
    It sounds interesting anyway, and maybe it could be fun trying on at home! Could make a day of it :D

Has anyone looked into notification of intent yet? Obviously it's not looking possible in the near future but I had a quick look at the booking website for Dublin and can't seem to find any appointments all the way up to January. I'm not sure if they've just blocked the system for now but it's making me panicky.

Our wedding isn't until June but I'm born abroad from a more "unusual" country so I want to make sure we have everything done in plenty of time in case it causes issues. I know about the authentication so I'm getting a consulate I know on that soon. Is there anything else I need? I am an Irish citizen.

I'm cocooning, and my Fiancé is working from home, so I'm keeping busy with a few bits and bobs like the notification of intent to marry. The postal marriage notification form box is in the process of being ticked soon :)

One of my in laws is a non national and they had only a short time before their date to get all the extra paperwork organised, so I think you're on the right track! :) if you go on to citizens information and go to notification of intent to marry, it links you to your local civil registration service, and I'm fairly sure they all have emails so you can ask your local one if there is anything you've missed.

We've been planning for the last year so we've had a good idea of when we would do certain things. We were going to be looking into honeymoons over the Summer to get a feel for costs, obviously that's all out the window now. We've not had the luxury of a holiday abroad in over 2 years so the thought of a honeymoon had been keeping us sane! Has anyone planned theirs, or have an idea of what they'd like to do? :)

Teach30 wrote: »
    Anyone one else hesitant about paying a deposit to hotel and then hotel going out of business? We’ve had to postpone wedding and change hotels as they couldn’t accommodate for a good date next year.

Would Wedding insurance cover something like this?

I'll be no help to your query as we paid our hotel deposit a year ago, and we had been planning on purchasing insurance in around March this year. Due to the insurance companies saying new policies from a certain date in March won't cover Covid-19 related claims, we've held off buying insurance for the time being. If you do have wedding insurance, you should ask the company what your policy covers, or check their FAQs.

If your new venue is a registered vendor on weddingsonline you can take part in their deposit guarantee scheme too. We have wedding insurance but most of our vendors have been part of the scheme anyway. It’s free.

https://www.weddingsonline.ie/content/deposit-guarantee

If your new venue is a registered vendor on weddingsonline you can take part in their deposit guarantee scheme too. We have wedding insurance but most of our vendors have been part of the scheme anyway. It’s free.

https://www.weddingsonline.ie/content/deposit-guarantee

Thanks we didn’t bother with insurance last time so that why I said I’d ask here. I don’t think we’ll get it this time around either especially if they don’t cover Covoid but that information is very helpful will have a look into it. Thanks.

How's everyone getting on ,
    Just wondering how's the planning going for 2021 has everyone got everything set or is there still loads to get done because of the lockdown ?
    We had the ceremony booked but never got a chance to tie down a venue as Covid happened, so with Hotels opening we will be trying to get our venue sorted in the next few weeks,

Anyone still got reservation about how this wil effect 2021 weddings,

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Anyone still got reservation about how this wil effect 2021 weddings,

We're still on the fence as to whether or not we should postpone our Sept 2020 wedding to May 2021 (waiting for venue to get back to us with more information).

Honestly though, I can't see things being much different next year.

It will be a long time before there's a vaccine and longer again to actually have widespread administration (to those actually willing to take it!). Obviously we'll have learned more about the virus though and there may be some treatments that can help improve the prognosis. It's very hard to see this thing going away though and I think social distancing will be here to stay for a long time.

The only potential advantages I can see for weddings next year is that people will be more used to the "new normal" and hopefully the travel restrictions will have eased by then (e.g. finding an alternative to the 14 day quarantine rule) allowing family from abroad to attend.

There'll be more certainty next year about how weddings will function, but that's all imho.

woodchuck wrote: »
    We're still on the fence as to whether or not we should postpone our Sept 2020 wedding to May 2021 (waiting for venue to get back to us with more information).

Honestly though, I can't see things being much different next year.

It will be a long time before there's a vaccine and longer again to actually have widespread administration (to those actually willing to take it!). Obviously we'll have learned more about the virus though and there may be some treatments that can help improve the prognosis. It's very hard to see this thing going away though and I think social distancing will be here to stay for a long time.

The only potential advantages I can see for weddings next year is that people will be more used to the "new normal" and hopefully the travel restrictions will have eased by then (e.g. finding an alternative to the 14 day quarantine rule) allowing family from abroad to attend.

There'll be more certainty next year about how weddings will function, but that's all imho.

Honestly we still not 100% sure if we want to go ahead with it next year,
    I don't think we could deal with a year of uncertainty the time and effort may be better off spent else where,

Or we may just have a family sized wedding like 20 people ,

As you said I can see issues next year remaining ,

We are assuming that there’ll be restrictions in place by the time we get married (April 2021) so are just getting on with it. I met with friends last night who are getting married in September this year and sounds like the venue is taking LOADS of precautions (which is great!) but are also being sensible. I would be kind of uneasy if I was getting married in July or August this year because I reckon there’ll be lots of bumps to iron out and I wouldn’t want our wedding to be the guinea pig wedding tbh. I think that September/October onwards the routine will settle and it will be ‘the new normal’ for people. I’m looking forward to the wedding in September to see how everything is managed. I will report back afterwards!

There was a piece on the Irish times about how hotels will operate when reopening which o thought was interesting!

https://t.co/W9yqLuSMIQ?amp=1

Is anyone else attending a wedding any time soon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

allym wrote: »

Would you have the email for the Dublin office? I emailed an address I saw online but received no response so not sure if it was the right one.

Thank you

Advertisement