Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-07-2020, 16:41   #1

3 Way Fridge Not Working

The fridge in our 1994 campervan is not working (except on gas which takes a while to get working).

Given it's age it may need replacing.

Can someone recommend where to have it looked at/repaired/replaced?

We are based in Dublin but can travel.

Thanks
Advertisement
21-07-2020, 22:41   #2
Sir Liamalot
Combobulator

Operational ones don't exactly work either. People defend them but the same people would never fit one in their house.

Go electric.
23-07-2020, 19:44   #3
landmarkjohn

To my knowledge the 3 way works this way

1. Gas
2. 240 V mains, this mode only works when hooked up to mains. (could take a while to know if it's working)
3. 12 V, this mode only works when the engine is running.

The correct switch(es)position for the 3 modes must be right. Just saying as I had mine for about 10 years before we figured this out.... the fridge was always cold at the end of a journey.
Thanks from:
23-07-2020, 21:09   #4
Markcheese

Try googling your fridge and it's fault ... Have you had it long ? Did it work before ?
Thanks from:
23-07-2020, 22:52   #5
Sir Liamalot
Combobulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by landmarkjohn View Post
The correct switch(es)position for the 3 modes must be right. Just saying as I had mine for about 10 years before we figured this out.... the fridge was always cold at the end of a journey.

That depends on how the installer wired it. You can use all three at once if you're imaginative. Running it on mains from an inverter works better than 12v because mains has a thermostat.

It uses 10 times the energy of a compressor model. The wind blows the pilot out frequently and spoils food. If one forgets to changeover: spoils food. If gas bottle runs out: spoils food. If operating on gas and atmospheric conditions change temperature ie night happens; spoils food. If you drive for 10 hours on 12v the contents will freeze because no thermostat, spoils food. €20 every 3 weeks to power with buthane.

If you try to power it from a battery: spoils battery.

€600 for your pleasure.

You only need 100W of solar to power a 60L compressor jobber. Turn it on, leave it on, no worries.
Advertisement
23-07-2020, 22:58   #6
Sir Liamalot
Combobulator

If you fancy a trip to Pat Horan's they can probably resusitate it. I've a "working" one I inherited with a vehicle, probably <100 hours on it.
I'll be donedealing it when I start the conversion.
30-07-2020, 11:29   #7
Buford T Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Liamalot View Post
That depends on how the installer wired it. You can use all three at once if you're imaginative. Running it on mains from an inverter works better than 12v because mains has a thermostat.

It uses 10 times the energy of a compressor model. The wind blows the pilot out frequently and spoils food. If one forgets to changeover: spoils food. If gas bottle runs out: spoils food. If operating on gas and atmospheric conditions change temperature ie night happens; spoils food. If you drive for 10 hours on 12v the contents will freeze because no thermostat, spoils food. €20 every 3 weeks to power with buthane.

If you try to power it from a battery: spoils battery.

€600 for your pleasure.

You only need 100W of solar to power a 60L compressor jobber. Turn it on, leave it on, no worries.
Any suitable links for an electric one?
30-07-2020, 22:07   #8
Sir Liamalot
Combobulator

Anything with a danfoss compressor (dometic/shorline/ waeco) or a cheap and cheerful mains fridge and large efficient sine inverter
31-07-2020, 09:59   #9
Buford T Justice

I've been reading that the small mains fridges are very inefficent vs the camper one, so may be something to consider too.
Advertisement
01-08-2020, 19:43   #10
autumnalcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buford T Justice View Post
I've been reading that the small mains fridges are very inefficent vs the camper one, so may be something to consider
Was what you were reading backed up by any examples or facts and figures.

Vapour absorption is a minimum of 5 times less efficient than vapour compression even theoretically then add the fact that you've strapped a heater to the outside of the poorly insulated box you are trying to keep cool. And the rubbish maximum heat differential attainable with vapour absorption.

I've been running a husky beer fridge on inverter for last three years it's rated A+ 95kwh per annum which is 260wh per day which is only enough to run our old absorption fridge for 3 hours. Was mainly worried the pipes would fracture internally in the compressor with all the bad roads so I bought secondhand for €50 or so and its still trucking.i would buy a slightly bigger one if I was getting one again
01-08-2020, 20:50   #11
lastsaturday

Have a look at this video.. It got my fridge working fine..
https://youtu.be/agZJ3T66wOI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 531 View Post
The fridge in our 1994 campervan is not working (except on gas which takes a while to get working).

Given it's age it may need replacing.

Can someone recommend where to have it looked at/repaired/replaced?

We are based in Dublin but can travel.

Thanks
Thanks from:
02-08-2020, 23:15   #12
Buford T Justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnalcore View Post
Was what you were reading backed up by any examples or facts and figures.
No. Like I said, I was reading, that's all
04-08-2020, 18:36   #13
Sir Liamalot
Combobulator

There's been more innovation in mains fridges than 12/24v volt compressor fridges. The upshot of this is one can run a mains fridge and a resonable inverter quiescent load for the same power requirements of a 12/24v jobber. Saving ~€500 to be put towards a decent inverter.

Comparatively a 60L compressor fridge will use in the order of 250Wh per day whereas an absorption fridge will use about 2.4kWh per day for less reliable cooling with a human thermostat on gas.

Another failing of the absorption fridge is that it is usually setup to run continuously from the alternator. Most split charge systems will deliver about 10A charge. 15A would be considered good, 20A far above average. I generally expect to see ~7A.
Split charge systems I build incidentally deliver >70A.

So if attempting to recharge a depleted service battery while driving with an absorption fridge running you can expect your charge system to be delivering somewhere between -3A and +5A. An altogether pointless excercise.

A compressor fridge will use about 3.5A and turn off at desired temperature.
I have nothing good to say about gas fridges and I've plenty of experiance with them to colour my opinion, they're boat anchors. €600 buoyant boat anchors...

Ask yourself a question, would you fit it in your house?
If the answer is no, why would you pay 5 times the market value of something you would for the disservice?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion