Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-07-2020, 13:16   #1
bobbyss

Idiots' Guide to Solar Lights

I bought a solar light in Dealz recently. One of those pencil like ones. It cost I think €1.50. There was no sticker you pull away from the battery (?). The battery is encased and not changeable. A very simple solar light. I managed to get it to work. You turn the switch on and stick it in the ground. I was delighted to see it shining away.

But later on, there was no light. It must have lasted only a few hours. I am not sure how long.

So what is the story with this? This is summer and if it is all day in the light outside and lasts only a short few hours, is that it? I mean what's the point of them? Why is it lasting such a short time? If I wanted a solar light to last longer (as in all night which is what I though they would be doing) what should I be looking for? Does it depend on the battery size and if so what should I be looking for?
Advertisement
23-07-2020, 15:21   #2
BrownFinger

What do you expect for 1.50?
Absolute crap.
Should be banned imo because they go straight to landfill pretty much.batteries and all.
23-07-2020, 19:32   #3
bobbyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownFinger View Post
Absolute crap.
Should be banned imo because they go straight to landfill pretty much.batteries and all.
To be honest I did not expect much at all.

Are there solar lights out there that light all night long? How much are they?
23-07-2020, 19:57   #4
looksee
You would probably want to be paying fairly serious money for a solar light that actually works for a few hours per night. They can be got, but not for 1.50. I did get some years ago that I paid a half reasonable price for and they did glow dimly for a few hours per night, for one season.

Best one in our house, someone brought in some yokes that just looked like lightbulbs. One was hung in the window in full sun for several hours then after dark switched on. It literally flashed, maybe 2 seconds. That was it. I think it was also in the 1.50 category.
23-07-2020, 22:30   #5
bobbyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by looksee View Post
You would probably want to be paying fairly serious money for a solar light that actually works for a few hours per night. They can be got, but not for 1.50. I did get some years ago that I paid a half reasonable price for and they did glow dimly for a few hours per night, for one season.

Best one in our house, someone brought in some yokes that just looked like lightbulbs. One was hung in the window in full sun for several hours then after dark switched on. It literally flashed, maybe 2 seconds. That was it. I think it was also in the 1.50 category.
I see. I think I will give the solar light experience a miss. I did get that lightbulb thing also just to see what it was like. It never worked.
I know these things cost nothing but if that experience is replicated with more expensive ones for me they would need to work for longer than a few hours.
Advertisement
23-07-2020, 22:32   #6
colm_mcm

Failure point on them is moisture ingress. If you can seal them up you might have some hope.

You might get it to work once it’s gotten some sun.
23-07-2020, 22:52   #7
Shaunoc

i have some solar lights on fence posts. not for security lighting, just bit of decoration
work well, none of the 6 failed and this is 3rd year.
they are not going to shine very bright but so far so good. winter time might get a few hours at most, but summer time, well into the night.
Amazon -> Litom solar
i'm sure there are crap models and good ones
23-07-2020, 22:57   #8
flogen

Is there such a thing as an outdoor solar light that lasts?

I’ve gone with the fairly cheap type from Home Store & More, and frankly got more life out of them than I expected, but of course they eventually gave up the ghost.

Wouldn’t mind paying for good ones as long as they’re not going to end up going to crap after a few months (or year or two)
Thanks from:
23-07-2020, 23:19   #9
Tree

I got some nice glass bricks in B&Q last year, ~7€ each
Doing great this year too. The top and sides are solid glass so it's harder for the water to drip in (still rising damp)

I got really fine fairy lights, lasted a season and the joint between the lights and the wire from the baterry corroded.
Also got a large panel light for the shed insides, and the solder joint on the soldere panel failed. probably water ingress. Gonna just put some recharagble double AA's on the end of the shed light instead (it's only for ocassional use)
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
27-07-2020, 11:45   #10
Hocus Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownFinger View Post
Absolute crap.
No, under W.I.I.I. regulations they must be disposed of at a designated facility, usually provided at Council recycling centres. See links below:

http://weee.ie/?page_id=182

http://www.dublincity.ie/main-menu-s...vices/weee-and

Retailers are also required to accept for disposal electrical goods for which the customer is purchasing a direct replacement.
27-07-2020, 15:15   #11
Doop

I bought these earlier this summer to give them a shot.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...f-91d0cc15e34c

Have to say they are brilliant so much so I bought 3 more sets. That being said I cant comment on longevity as I've only had them up for a couple of months. I am hopeful they will last a cople of years at least but only time will tell. They feel and seem of good robust quality. Reviews on amazon are decent and they are IP65 rated (re weather/water proofing) IP65 is about as good as you will get for outdoor electrics, pleanty of hardwired garden lights would give a lower rating and still function fine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200527_224050.jpg (1.75 MB, 48 views)

Last edited by Doop; 27-07-2020 at 15:17. Reason: attach a photo
(3) thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion