Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying hedge

• 25-07-2020 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi all,

Could you please help me identify what type of hedge this is? I need to know because I'm seeing up a paddock for some animals and laurels are extremely toxic for them. So if it is then I need to either get rid of it or block it off from them.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

That's ivy, no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

blaris wrote: »
    That's ivy, no harm.

Thanks Blaris,

Are you thinking it's Irish ivy/Atlantic Ivy?

That's a bit of relief so.

Yes, almost certainly

• Registered Users Posts: 28,007 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It would be a bit unusual for ivy to create a hedge all by itself - though maybe not impossible - is there something else that it is climbing on?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 davedonie

Looks like griselinia

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Its the aboreal form of Ivy. Ivy changes leaf shape as it grows it starts out as the climbing form which has different shaped leaves. It never flowers or fruits directly on this growth. As it gets older and or taller you eventually get the aboreal (shrubby) form of leaf and then it flowers and fruits. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=192 .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭standardg60

GinSoaked wrote: »
    Its the aboreal form of Ivy. Ivy changes leaf shape as it grows it starts out as the climbing form which has different shaped leaves. It never flowers or fruits directly on this growth. As it gets older and or taller you eventually get the aboreal (shrubby) form of leaf and then it flowers and fruits. https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=192 .

Correct and it is this form of ivy which causes the death of trees as it suppresses the canopy. It becomes self supporting and forms it's own branches.

I disagree with the RHS site in that it only kills already dying trees, i have had trees come back perfectly healthy when the ivy has been removed.

Advertisement