Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrade or Replace for new GPUs?

Options
  • 24-07-2020 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭

Current build
    CPU i7-4770k (OC to 4GHz)
    GPU RX 480 4GB
    RAM 16GB
    PSU beQuiet! 700W
    MOBO MSI Z87-G43
    3 SSDs
    1 HDD
    1 DVD

I'm waiting for new GPUs and 9th gen consoles to drop before I upgrade and I'm just a bit worried that the age of my system might not make it worth investing anything else into it, especially if I consider VR a few years from now (after graduation).

It holds up fine for productivity (to my standard) and I mostly play older games which it blasts through but it's definitely struggling with modern games while I stream to the point I'm lowering some of them to 720p (although I do blame the absolute state of the game industry for that). I was considering just a GPU upgrade as I read the 5700 has a good encoder and I do use my current GPU's encoder with FFMPEG/VAAPI . I know it's always better to start a new build but if all I really need is a new GPU and possibly a new AMD CPU I'd like to wring even more out of this if I can. The system has served me really well so far and despite my gunk gable management and tower placement I've never had thermal issues.

Also any advice on general upgrades/replacements is welcome. Have at it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Wait for the new GPUs to drop and pick up a second hand bargain. Just make sure it works before buying!

Didn't Gamersnexus do a piece on tour CPU recently. Might be worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

It may come down to price:performance. Nvidia usually have the highest FPS but I've found that you pay more than the fps gain you actually get. The open amdgpu drivers have also been extremely reliable for me on this linux system and practically all of nvidia's features they never even bother releasing outside of windows so I kinda dropped them for that. Didn't help that the last card I got from em' bricked a week after its warranty :pac:

I was hoping just a stronger AMD card would handle ffmpeg/vaapi on OBS better. Right now it just drains my system too much if I try to play the latest games @ 1440p with OBS churning.

Glad to know that you think just a GPU upgrade is viable though.

Thanks! Gonna give it a watch with dinner.

Edit: Based on that video, I think I'll be using this CPU until I need an entirely new system... or it melts. There were significant gains with the newer CPUs demonstrated but none of the FPS gains seemed worth money. Paying €300 for about 40% more FPS... meh. I'll put that kind of money aside for a new system. GPU seems to be where its at for possible upgrade on this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Wait for the new GPUs to drop and pick up a second hand bargain. Just make sure it works before buying!

They did. The conclusions were that unless your GPU is faster than 970, it is still great CPU, especially after a bit of oc.

• Advertisement

^
    https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-970-vs-AMD-RX-480/2577vs3634

Basically the same so it's staying. Waiting for consoles and next cards to drop so it seems. Probably sell the whole system for a few hundred and put it towards a new build then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,569 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Get that CPU overclocked a bit more if you have a cooler capable of it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

EoinHef wrote: »
    Get that CPU overclocked a bit more if you have a cooler capable of it

I was just about to post the same. It was in my head to post it while I was reading through the comments and then came to yours.

You can get that to 4.4-4.6 easily. I'd say go with 4.4GHz to be safe.

Tbh I'm surprised you have it overclocked so low.

It used to BSOD whenever I overclocked it even the tiniest bit on windows. Now that I don't use windows anymore I put it on 4 and its been fine for years so I guess I should try push it a little more. I'll let ya know how it goes.

update:
    4.4 consistently caused crashes on load but 4.3 survived a full 8 thread stress for 20s and some OBS recording test. I'll keep an eye on temps next gaming session.

Are you just changing the multiplier or are you setting the voltage aswell?

You might need just a tad more voltage for 4.4ghz

• Advertisement

Yes I did but I suppose I could tinker more. It's silicon lottery so I might've just gotten one that can't get past .3

That can happen,I had a 3570k that I couldn't get past 4.3ghz.

1.3v would be about the max I'd put through that CPU. I have read of people getting 4.5ghz with 1.2v but those people won the silicon lottery

Just as an add on,im currently running a 9700K at 5ghz,im not really sure id trust that to stream and still give me the framerates id be looking for. I think ryzen with all the cores they are offering should be where you look next for sure.

GPU is definitely wait and see what the new gen brings but you know that already.

Advertisement