Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadband x Eir cable

• 20-07-2020 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello,

I used Three 4G at home (creating a hotspot with my phone) for 1 year, and it was enough to watch netflix, even to play online.
    I moved somewhere else and I am searching for cable broadband, at my place the only provider available is Eir. Eir provides maximum of 24Mbps internet here, and I made a speed test to check how much my 4g was giving me, and thats what I got:

PING ms: 20
    DOWNLOAD Mbps: 31.56
    UPLOAD Mbps: 43.19

It got me thinking if its worth to pay more money for a worse service, but I really think there is something strange. What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Possible that you only have crappy ASDL copper broadband available to you?

Pop your eircode in here: https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

If it says FTTH, FTTC are not available, then likely yeah, your stuck with sh*t ASDL. Also pop your eircode into https://nbi.ie/

If you are marked as being in an intervention area and premises pending survey, then you will have to wait for the national rollout like a good few of us. Could be waiting up to 5 years. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Askr

joe123 wrote: »
    Possible that you only have crappy ASDL copper broadband available to you?

Pop your eircode in here:

If it says FTTH, FTTC are not available, then likely yeah, your stuck with sh*t ASDL. Also pop your eircode into

If you are marked as being in an intervention area and premises pending survey, then you will have to wait for the national rollout like a good few of us. Could be waiting up to 5 years. :(

airwire.ie = DSL Broadband (up to 100 Mbit/s) Available at maximum 100M/20M (the only one available)

nbi.ie = Not in Intervention Area

That`s really sad, cause in my opinion the 4G service is great, but I was hoping cable broadband would be awesome, but it seems that Three provides a better service for my area, which is in the center of Dublin.
    A guy from Eir called me today saying that our area is part of the intervation area and we would have up to 1GB in a couple of months, looks like it was just sales talk.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Askr wrote: »
    airwire.ie = DSL Broadband (up to 100 Mbit/s) Available at maximum 100M/20M (the only one available)

nbi.ie = Not in Intervention Area

That`s really sad, cause in my opinion the 4G service is great, but I was hoping cable broadband would be awesome, but it seems that Three provides a better service for my area, which is in the center of Dublin.
    A guy from Eir called me today saying that our area is part of the intervation area and we would have up to 1GB in a couple of months, looks like it was just sales talk.
    Eir currently have a programme of replacing their ADSL & VDSL networks with FTTH in urban areas. This will give you 1Gbps-10Gbps. The programme is called IFN (Ireland Fibre Network). This is probably the 'intervention' that was being referred to?

Advertisement