Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

20-07-2020, 18:28   #1
Askr

Broadband x Eir cable

Hello,

I used Three 4G at home (creating a hotspot with my phone) for 1 year, and it was enough to watch netflix, even to play online.
I moved somewhere else and I am searching for cable broadband, at my place the only provider available is Eir. Eir provides maximum of 24Mbps internet here, and I made a speed test to check how much my 4g was giving me, and thats what I got:

PING ms: 20
DOWNLOAD Mbps: 31.56
UPLOAD Mbps: 43.19

It got me thinking if its worth to pay more money for a worse service, but I really think there is something strange. What do you think?
Advertisement
20-07-2020, 18:39   #2
joe123

Possible that you only have crappy ASDL copper broadband available to you?

Pop your eircode in here: https://www.airwire.ie/index.php/avail

If it says FTTH, FTTC are not available, then likely yeah, your stuck with sh*t ASDL. Also pop your eircode into https://nbi.ie/

If you are marked as being in an intervention area and premises pending survey, then you will have to wait for the national rollout like a good few of us. Could be waiting up to 5 years.
20-07-2020, 21:39   #3
Askr

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123 View Post
Possible that you only have crappy ASDL copper broadband available to you?

Pop your eircode in here:

If it says FTTH, FTTC are not available, then likely yeah, your stuck with sh*t ASDL. Also pop your eircode into

If you are marked as being in an intervention area and premises pending survey, then you will have to wait for the national rollout like a good few of us. Could be waiting up to 5 years.

airwire.ie = DSL Broadband (up to 100 Mbit/s) Available at maximum 100M/20M (the only one available)

nbi.ie = Not in Intervention Area

That`s really sad, cause in my opinion the 4G service is great, but I was hoping cable broadband would be awesome, but it seems that Three provides a better service for my area, which is in the center of Dublin.
A guy from Eir called me today saying that our area is part of the intervation area and we would have up to 1GB in a couple of months, looks like it was just sales talk.
20-07-2020, 23:11   #4
babelfish1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askr View Post
airwire.ie = DSL Broadband (up to 100 Mbit/s) Available at maximum 100M/20M (the only one available)

nbi.ie = Not in Intervention Area

That`s really sad, cause in my opinion the 4G service is great, but I was hoping cable broadband would be awesome, but it seems that Three provides a better service for my area, which is in the center of Dublin.
A guy from Eir called me today saying that our area is part of the intervation area and we would have up to 1GB in a couple of months, looks like it was just sales talk.
Eir currently have a programme of replacing their ADSL & VDSL networks with FTTH in urban areas. This will give you 1Gbps-10Gbps. The programme is called IFN (Ireland Fibre Network). This is probably the 'intervention' that was being referred to?
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion